IGNORED

Meet Hellena and Currawong

happy atheist

Most Americans don't recognize a Canadian accent unless someone says a stereotypical word like "soory" for "sorry."

Or "eh". ;)

I always recognize a Canadian accent, and I'm pretty good at picking out different regional American accents also. Which is kind of weird, because I was Hard of Hearing as a child and learned to talk in speech lessons - I'm told I don't have an accent at all. Like a newscaster. Ha.

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watch a lot of HGTV (home & garden television, if some don't know), and quite a few shows are Canadian. Also I watched Degrassi: The Next Generation as a teenager, so I'm pretty good at recognizing Canadian accents (without them saying sorry or about or house). I can tell the various American accents apart (I'm American), and I can usually pretty accurately discern who is putting on an American accent for movies or tv and where they're actually from. I had friends in high school from Germany - one from around Cologne and one from Hamburg, and I could hear the difference in their accents.

But I can't tell when an American is putting on any British, Irish, or Australian accents though. Or at least not usually. :dance:

Lol, to us, an American doing a fake Aussies or Brit accents is obvious cos it always sounds so bad! Americans just aren't good at faking our accent. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Hellena has finally updated again! She has up a lengthy piece pondering the Catholic Chuch and Rome. She actually does have some interesting points and thoughts, although there's also a fun game of "spot the historical inaccuracies" to be had. For example, she says the King James bible was " the version agreed upon by the Roman Catholic Church." Nope, it was done for the Church of England. She also implies that from AD 300 on priests were celibate, when the reality was much more complicated (basically for hundreds of years a lot of priests were married until there were some reforms in the middle ages). Any other glaring mistakes you all see?

Still, for all that, I actually think she's interesting to read, if a bit loopy and long-winded. She seems pretty genuine, even though I disagree with a lot of what she has to say.

Was there any umbilical cord mid labour sex? Weird clitoral crochet? Cos if she's gone all sensible I'm gonna cry :(

I'm a bit late for this, but it's definitely true that Americans seem to mistake South Australian accents for English ones. I've even met other Aussies who thought I was English. I guess I have a somewhat posh accent but it's from going to fancy schools rather than being upper class. I can tell the difference between regional American accents pretty easily, they're often far less subtle than regional differences in Australia.

Gosh was I happy to see that the entry didn't mention what Hellena's vagina was doing when the new pope was elected.

I'm a bit late for this, but it's definitely true that Americans seem to mistake South Australian accents for English ones. I've even met other Aussies who thought I was English. I guess I have a somewhat posh accent but it's from going to fancy schools rather than being upper class. I can tell the difference between regional American accents pretty easily, they're often far less subtle than regional differences in Australia.

Gosh was I happy to see that the entry didn't mention what Hellena's vagina was doing when the new pope was elected.

I was disappointed :lol:

I'm amused that she thought the KJV bible was produced by 'evil' Catholics. Especially when you think about the plenitude of evangelicals who proudly proclaim themselves to be KJV only, yet believe that Catholics are the devil's spawn.

Oh my heavens, there's another vlog introducing Currawong and some of the kids. They're talking about TV shows and just being a bit silly. And I find myself thinking that I'd probably quite like Hellena in real life.....Currawong doesn't sound anything like I expected. He sounds, well, normal!

I adore Hellena. Not even in a snarky way. Yes some of her stuff and musings is a bit out there. But I would love to spend an afternoon chillin' with her.

Oh my heavens, there's another vlog introducing Currawong and some of the kids. They're talking about TV shows and just being a bit silly. And I find myself thinking that I'd probably quite like Hellena in real life.....Currawong doesn't sound anything like I expected. He sounds, well, normal!

He did sound really normal! I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't that. She comes off as more normal on her videos too. Perhaps she really is high when she writes her posts. :lol: That is what they always sound like.

When we were in the US we were constantly mistaken for English or Australian (we're from New Zealand). There were people we met in rural Kansa and Indiana who just flat outer couldn't tell that we were speaking English, yet I had no problem understanding them (thanks, TV!)

I can tell an Australian, usually, although there is quite a range in their accents. I can identify Brits by country but not region, and tell an American from a Canadian, but that's about it

He did sound really normal! I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't that. She comes off as more normal on her videos too. Perhaps she really is high when she writes her posts. :lol: That is what they always sound like.

They are both far more likeable in their videos than Hellenna's posts. The posts are so amazingly pretentious, but the vids show a very down to earth family. And much as I think their parenting choices are damaging their children's chances to grow into autonomous productive members of society, the society they will have to actually live in, as opposed to Hellenna's hoped for utopia of crazy, I have no doubt that they both adore their kids.

They are both far more likeable in their videos than Hellenna's posts. The posts are so amazingly pretentious, but the vids show a very down to earth family. And much as I think their parenting choices are damaging their children's chances to grow into autonomous productive members of society, the society they will have to actually live in, as opposed to Hellenna's hoped for utopia of crazy, I have no doubt that they both adore their kids.

I just got around to watching this and I have to agree with you.

Hellena's posts are obviously carefully crafted and it's sucked her personality right out of them.

They really do seem to be a fun, interactive, loving family. I don't personally like some of their choices but it certainly looks like it's working for them.

What a contrast to poor Lauren and her sad neglected little brood. Even when David was around there didn't seem to be joy or spontaneity or silliness, and Hellena's mob have all that and more.

• 2 weeks later...

Hellena has posted again.

I always read her posts - with a fair bit of dread, but her last few posts seem slightly better than normal (aka grounded in reality!).

I was sad to read that she had just experienced an ectopic pregnancy/miscarriage. :( My heart goes out to her.

The two most recent posts were definitely more "normal" and far easier to read. I can honestly say I have no urge to live off the grid, but I see a true authenticity here that never shows through in Lauren's posts no matter how many dreads she has. H & C obviously love and care for their children--and I'm honestly fascinated by their ways and means of living sustainably.

If she is managing the ectopic pregnancy via methotrexate ( I assume this is the chemical she refers to) then that means it was picked up very early, and her Fallopian tube had not ruptured. Hopefully this method works for her and she doesn't have to have surgery.

I keep comparing Hellena to Lauren and the contrast is stark.

If she is managing the ectopic pregnancy via methotrexate ( I assume this is the chemical she refers to) then that means it was picked up very early, and her Fallopian tube had not ruptured. Hopefully this method works for her and she doesn't have to have surgery.

I keep comparing Hellena to Lauren and the contrast is stark.

Yeah, Lauren desperately wants to be like Hellena. She will never be like her because she doesn't enjoy herself at all & is still an uptight, conservative christian underneath the dreads.

Is it wrong that I have a little crush on Currawong after watching the video. He is such a jolly, scruffy fellow. I don't want to have umbilical sex with him or anything... but I definitely like him more than before.

Is it wrong that I have a little crush on Currawong after watching the video. He is such a jolly, scruffy fellow. I don't want to have umbilical sex with him or anything... but I definitely like him more than before.

No, he's good-looking.

Poor Hellena, I too wish her a gentle recovery and hope she doesn't need surgery. I also hope "chemical miscarriage" is a euphemism for methotrexate because she says she's been in pain for nearly three weeks... Is an ectopic pregnancy supposed to take that long to pass after you've taken the medication?

Hope Hellena is okay.

Its strange how the umbilical cord sex having naked hippies are the most normal people and best parents mentioned on this forum.

Anyone else take issue with her claim that pitocin is made from pig semen? And is it true that hospitals have "nipple sucking machines" to help bring on labour? Because my bullshit detector is going apeshit.

ETA: this post, 9th paragraph: spunoutpost.blogspot.ca/2013/03/birth-sex-and-bonding.html

Anyone else take issue with her claim that pitocin is made from pig semen? And is it true that hospitals have "nipple sucking machines" to help bring on labour? Because my bullshit detector is going apeshit.

ETA: this post, 9th paragraph: spunoutpost.blogspot.ca/2013/03/birth-sex-and-bonding.html

I just googled "what is pitocin made of" and there are many references to pig/bull sperm. But if the info is correct, it's not pitocin that's derived from pig/bull sperm but some of the prostaglandin gels that are used to ripen/soften a cervix. My c-sections are sounding much more attractive now! :lol:

Edit to add that some natural parenting forums advocate using an electric breast pump for nipple stimulation to induce labour.

She seems to be kind of more normal and I really like their new home, it looks cosy and very ... arty (but I mean this in a good way). I feel sorry for her miscarriage and wish her a quick recovery. BUT - is it necessary to KNOW and to SEE that Currawong is wearing no underwear under his jeans...? :wtf:

Archived