IGNORED

Serven engagement

hoipolloi

linkedin.com/pub/emily-johnson/7/288/956

http://happynews.com/

The church doesn't appear to be exclusively NCFIC but it's also all-male pastoral staff and the women's studies seem to revolve around motherhood.

Ceilidhs are pretty much super fun times, though!

In lieu of gifts they're asking people to contribute to a Samaritan Ministries thing, but they still have gift registries. On the BB&B registry there are already quite a few things that have been purchased. Fundies seem to really want All-Clad. I fucking love gift registries.

"In lieu of gifts, we request that our guests consider giving to The Morning Center"......blah blah blah but then under that there is 4 registries PACKED with material goods. Greedy much? Do they think people will do both? I have see one or the other but never anyone do both......maybe it is just me.

Edited for the cross post with 7S

Nose ring?? Nose, I didn't nostice that. :mrgreen: Have they photoshopped it away? Theres a dark area on her upper lip area in the engagement photo but it doesn't look metallic.

At least Nathan has gotten some shape to him, unlike the other, toothpicky Serven fellas. He's built up some muscle mass and before his FB page became private, there were some nice photos of him and his buddies at the beach/pool/biking trails.

BTW, the other day I showed a friend the servenclan blog just to give an idea of what can be done on blogspot and wordpress for free. She remarked briefly that the family looked oddly intense. Make of it what you will.

Ah, the clan. They were my gateway dominionists and I'll never tire of news about 'em.

Oh, off to do some reading/digging/snooping! I've been so disappointed the Servens haven't kept up with their blog -- Rebecca got married, and then POOF -- no more blog. And honestly, I'm pissed that she and her headship haven't bothered to keep their own blog up -- I like babies.

Wow, she DOES have a nose ring! I wonder how ma and pa Serven feel about that? She's a pretty girl. She's also (gasp!) wearing a sleeveless top. I'm guessing she and Rebecca and Beth won't have a whole lot in common, but I bet she'll get along just fine with Peter's wife (can't remember her name).

ETA: Oh, right, Meredith is Peter's wife's name.

Their registries are crazy. How may people will be attending if they plan to get two separate sets of fine china for 12 at $55 a plate? That is just at one store, I did not bother to look at the three others.

Public school, college degree, study abroad in both Spain and Cairo, a JOB in R+D at Demand Media, AND a NOSERING. Hello? I'm amazed this engagement isn't getting more attention. I don't think homeschooling is a given with this one. The church where the wedding will be held is PCA, not exactly as far left as PCUSA, but not as hard right as the Serven's own OPC denomination.

I'd think Rebecca and Beth would be scared to death of her.

She went to Asbury which is a Methodist school. There was a couple in my home congregation that had met there and subsequently sent all six of their children there to ensure that they'd meet Methodist spouses (even though Kansas has two four-year Methodist schools - Southwestern and the very well funded Baker University). I wonder what it's going to be like for her to go from free will Methodism to predestination Calvinism.

Public school, college degree, study abroad in both Spain and Cairo, a JOB in R+D at Demand Media, AND a NOSERING. Hello? I'm amazed this engagement isn't getting more attention. I don't think homeschooling is a given with this one. The church where the wedding will be held is PCA, not exactly as far left as PCUSA, but not as hard right as the Serven's own OPC denomination.

And then there are Mama & Papa Serven, soul-crushers extraordinaire. Would love to know what they really think of the new DIL-to-be.

I think Mama & Papa S. have given their sons a lot more freedom than their daughters. Rebecca's wedding was all patriarchal "transfer of authority" from one headship to the next, and I can only imagine Beth's was the same. But the sons appear free to pursue worldly careers and independent lives. Based on Peter's wedding pics, I'd say Meredith is no shrinking violet. So three cheers for Ms. Nose RIng - here's hoping her presence loosens everyone's lid a few notches!

I see it now! I nose it's true. Somehow this makes me nice and happy for Nathan.

Long & happy life, you two crazy kids!

I looked at their Amazon registry because I wanted to see what books they wanted. One of them is The Fourfold Path to Healing and it's definitely a Weston Price and or GAPS healing protocol. All of the other Amazon cookware goes along with that lifestyle. I know because I have a lot of it.

The author Dr. Cowan was that terrible doctor I saw in San Francisco. They also have nut-milk bags in the registry so they are probably dairy-free. (I have to admit the dairy-free, wheat-free, all natural diet has helped my condition.) That said, I really hope he helps her in the kitchen because no processed food means a lot of time on one's feet.

I didn't buy the book although it was recommended. It was pretty weird. She might be a little bit of a hippie.

I see they have an Iron Gym. Seems they are into health more than Smuggar!

Okay I'm excited about this one! I found her Pinterest page due to our shared interest and her "likes" in fashion are are decidedly edgy and mainstream. Yay Nathan.

And she is dairy and wheat free from all of the recipes I saw. I would post the link but I feel like enough of a stalker (I've never stalked a fundie before) and I thought there was a rule against it.

• 1 month later...

Yes, but... she has become much more conservative/ fundie in the past few years. They will almost definitely home school. She is squarely in the theonomy/ patriarchal camp now.

Also, keep in mind that many times they will have weddings in churches that they have no affiliation with, but are just using the 'building'. Such is the case with many weddings I've seen lately.

Archived