IGNORED

Want to join a fundie cult...commune?

lilah

I found this advertisment for a fundie styled cult commune. It's kind of a suprise almost that it would take fundies this long to go the way of the fundamentalist mormons, amish or whatnot. But then part of the ethos of fundism is that each patriarch gets to be an alpha male of his own domain and that doesn't jive with living in a commune. Anyway these guys are more mennonite-ish. I'm amused by the irony of advertising for your anti technology cult on the internet.

http://directory.ic.org/21333/Conservat ... o_name_yet

This is a group for people looking to start a physical community for old-fashioned Christians who want to live off the land. The community will be Anabaptist in nature, with lifestyle, clothing, etc from the 1800s. An acceptance of the Dordrecht Confession of Faith is NECESSARY (just a basic collection of beliefs that match what the Bible teaches; obviously I am focused on the Bible itself, I just want everyone to understand what I mean by common beliefs.)

Here is a list of things to consider before joining the community:

~will be located in Nova Scotia, Canada (lots of rural, fertile land here)

~God-given gender roles are followed

~organic farming/environmentally friendly community (raise all food for ourselves-we eat what we grow and eat seasonally. We might sell a few items to locals)

~KJV-only, English speaking village

~God is the foundation of the community, not just the church (we have God in our minds and encompassing our lives every second of every day, not just on Sundays).

~community is closed for residence to the select few who share our ideals (it is about quality, not quantity)

~there will be no cars, electricity, or any modern technology including computers, farm equipment etc

~houses will be old-style, either cob or log or old fashioned farm houses

~clothing will be old-fashioned: simple farm clothes from the 1800s or something similar (not necessarily plain, but oldfashioned and not fancy)

~a mixture of homeschooling & unschooling for the children

~quiver-full mindset (only God can choose how large or small a family is)

~old skills will be used: candle/soap making, canning, sewing by hand, etc

~alternative medicine is used (natural childbirth-at home with midwives, no vaccinations, natural medical treatments, herbal remedies, etc)

If this sounds like something you have been looking for, please don't hesitate to contact me or join the group I listed above!

Status: Currently seeking others so that we can embark on the journey

Website: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Old-Fashi ... Community/

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The group has now magically disappeared. This reminds me of James McDonald's church where on their website they have a whole section about moving to their church town. Of all the church websites I have visited I have never seen an advertisement to move to their town. Like they want a fundie community connected to the church.

http://www.providencepeoria.org/about/m ... -illinois/

now that we have Stephen Harper for Prime Minister, I guess the fundies will invade us

No farm machinery, hand sewing, 1800 period clothing in warm tropical(winters) Canada with no electricity or heaters. Kiss my azz. No thank you. I live in sunny CA for a reason.

I find it hilarious that hand sewing is their standard, considering that sewing machines were pretty ubiquitous by 1900. Maybe if they're shooting for the first half of the century...?

Oh, wait. I'm expecting they actually know more about textile history than they could fit on the head of a pin.

demgirl you are a genius! I am hooked on reality tv and totally want to see that show!

Amish are close to the Mennonite faith, aren't they? And isn't this supposed to be more a baptist thing? Maybe rumspringa (?) also would be too worldly for those guys!

I thought that Anabaptist held more Mennonite views.

Littleb it of info here

I'm going to go do some research, because that really didn't answer my question.

ETA: Found this on Yahoo answers

Anabaptist

The Amish, Hutterites, Mennonites, Church of the Brethren, Brethren in Christ, and other respective German Baptist variants) are the most common bodies referred to as Anabaptist.

Believer's baptism is one of the defining characteristics of Anabaptist beliefs, but was considered heresy by the other major religious groups of the reformation period. As a result, Anabaptists were heavily persecuted during the 16th century and into the 17th.

The leading elements of Anabaptist theology are:

Believer's Baptism

Baptism is to be administered to believers only.

Symbolism of Holy Communion

Communion is a memorial of the death of Christ, and transubstantiation does not occur.

Restricted Communion'

The bread and wine should be broken with baptized believers only.

Religious Separation

Christians should be separated from the world.

Separation of church and state

Christians should not make an oath, accept the office of magistrate, exercise self-defense or go to war.

Baptists

Baptist is a term describing individuals belonging to a Baptist church or a Baptist denomination. The name is derived from a conviction that followers of Jesus Christ are commanded to be baptized (most commonly by being immersed in water) as a public display of their faith, and thus most adherents reject infant baptism. While the term "Baptist" has its origins with the Anabaptists, and was sometimes viewed as pejorative, the denomination itself is historically linked to the English Dissenter or Separatist or Nonconformism movements of the 16th century.

Most Baptist traditions believe in the "Four Freedoms" articulated by Baptist historian Walter B. Shurden:[9]

* Soul freedom: the soul is competent before God, and capable of making decisions in matters of faith without coercion or compulsion by any larger religious or civil body

* Church freedom: freedom of the local church from outside interference, whether government or civilian (subject only to the law where it does not interfere with the religious teachings and practices of the church)

* Bible freedom: the individual is free to interpret the Bible for himself or herself, using the best tools of scholarship and biblical study available to the individual

* Religious freedom: the individual is free to choose whether to practice their religion, another religion, or no religion; Separation of church and state is often called the "civil corollary" of religious freedom

The polity of autonomy is closely related to the polity of congregational governance. Just as each Baptist priest with soul competency is equal to all other Baptists in a church, so each church is equal to every other church. No church or ecclesiastical organization has authority over a Baptist church. Churches can properly relate to each other under this polity only through voluntary cooperation, never by any sort of coercion. Furthermore, this Baptist polity calls for freedom from governmental control.

I find it hilarious that hand sewing is their standard, considering that sewing machines were pretty ubiquitous by 1900. Maybe if they're shooting for the first half of the century...?

Oh, wait. I'm expecting they actually know more about textile history than they could fit on the head of a pin.

And regular history, as well. They actually want to go back to the sanitized fictional version of history that Dougie puts out. (Hi, Interns!!!)

And regular history, as well. They actually want to go back to the sanitized fictional version of history that Dougie puts out. (Hi, Interns!!!)

Yep- "organic farming" it's really more possible today because of TECHNOLOGY than it was in the past. I also want to know what they think that women wore in the 1800's. Are they going to make them wear 3 or 4 petticoats, or is that too vain? Really, you can't walk in those skirts without the petticoats! And you need the corsets to hold them up, or they cut into your waist, but would a corset be too vain? It's also a back brace for that sort of lifestyle. (If you notice the bra is more comfortable overall, but didn't become popular until the average person's lifestyle changed...)

This would be a train wreck of a reality show.

Well, since I came out of lurkdom, I have to state for the record there is NOTHING simliar between Anabaptists and Baptists. Not to go too much into church history, suffice it to say that Anabaptists refer specifially to Mennonite, Amish, Hutterite or Brethern ONLY. Baptists are wannabes and the only ones who actually think they have any ties to Anabaptists, who came out of Holland and Germany at the same time Luther was nailing his treatise to the church doors.

Grew up Mennonite, the main conference has now merged with the Brethren. Most modern Mennonites and Brethren wouldn't stand out on the street at ALL, except they live their faith in ways most Christians never will. They also tend to be theologically conservative and socially liberal. They've been ordaining women for a LONG time and don't consider it a contraversy since they don't consider themselves to be Protestant either. They do NOT hold the values this ad seems to believe, not surprisingly.

Plain people stand out, live in intentional community and tend to shun modern society (at least in some form, and that doesn't pertain to the Hutterites who live in intentional community but are BIG into modernity).

This ad is not the first wannabe. People think Anabaptists are Amish with conservative Baptist theology because they are idiots and want to embark upon this illylic dream of what they THINK it's all about.

I have no desire to walk around in 1800's style clothing 24/7 in the heat of summer and washing my clothes down at the creek. I always wonder why some want to hide from reality by going back in time.

When I read this i got mad but then I came up with an idea, we infiltrate the community and snark heavily. We pretend to have their beliefs and everything, move in do the exact opposite. But really all jokes aside this is sad. I feel bad for the people who move here especially for the children of the adults who could have known what life was like outside of the community because cults I mean new religious movements tend to take on adults as new converts.

What makes this different than the amish.

"English speaking village." The Amish also speak German. Plus, the qualifications say nothing about beards. :)

dirt poor dirt ignorant and dirt stupid.

whats the point? I mean the 1800's is not when Christianity started there is nothing special about it. they should live in mud huts and in the bronze age like they did in jesus's time. otherwise whats the point?

Well, since I came out of lurkdom, I have to state for the record there is NOTHING simliar between Anabaptists and Baptists. Not to go too much into church history, suffice it to say that Anabaptists refer specifially to Mennonite, Amish, Hutterite or Brethern ONLY. Baptists are wannabes and the only ones who actually think they have any ties to Anabaptists, who came out of Holland and Germany at the same time Luther was nailing his treatise to the church doors.

Grew up Mennonite, the main conference has now merged with the Brethren. Most modern Mennonites and Brethren wouldn't stand out on the street at ALL, except they live their faith in ways most Christians never will. They also tend to be theologically conservative and socially liberal. They've been ordaining women for a LONG time and don't consider it a contraversy since they don't consider themselves to be Protestant either. They do NOT hold the values this ad seems to believe, not surprisingly.

Plain people stand out, live in intentional community and tend to shun modern society (at least in some form, and that doesn't pertain to the Hutterites who live in intentional community but are BIG into modernity).

This ad is not the first wannabe. People think Anabaptists are Amish with conservative Baptist theology because they are idiots and want to embark upon this illylic dream of what they THINK it's all about.

To confuse people more there are the Mennonite Brethren, Mennontite Church and Brethren in Christ. All are different conferences. We have a few Mennonites posting here who have discussed this before.

I wouldn't say that Baptists are "wannabes" but that they are just a different theologial sect of Christianity. The most apparent difference is that they are not pacifists at all.

"English speaking village." The Amish also speak German. Plus, the qualifications say nothing about beards. :)

Also, the Amish don't eschew modern medicine. They use foot powered sewing machines at home and electric ones in some businesses. Many use modern farming tools, computers and even the internet in their businesses.

Oregon Trail was a great game and all, but I'm not sure I want to live it -- especially not with a group of King James-only Christians.

"You have died of dysentery... and boredom."

Oregon Trail was a great game and all, but I'm not sure I want to live it -- especially not with a group of King James-only Christians.

"You have died of dysentery... and boredom."

Hahahaha! I just spilt water down myself at that.

I live in a sort of semi communal situation but there isn't, er, a dress code or religion involved. Or, really, anything in the way of restrictions. We're all leftists so a fascist or something couldn't move in (but would they want to?) A guy had a problem with my particular brand of politics and said so but this was resolved (it comes out now and again as my lot have a history of killing his). That's about it.

Can't understand why anyone would submit to that huge list of rules. What can be in it for them?

Archived