IGNORED

Say Yes To The Dress

MandyLaLa

I'll never understand why people travel 1000's of miles to shop at Kleinfelds. I got my dress at a cute shop in town and I fee like the service was better.

Kleinfeld reminds of like a factory. Get the person out ASAP.

I hate the attitude they have there. They seem to make a sport out of bringing out the most overpriced, over-budget dresses and then guilting the brides or their mothers into buying THE DRESS. Like every bride needs an $8000 dress in order to get married.

My dress was $350 and off-the-rack, thankyouverymuch.

When I hear the prices I always think "Ugh! You could do some much more with that then a dress you'll only wear once and which will be hopelessly out of date when you show people the pictures."

Mine was no where near the 20 grand dresses they sell. And I went for a dress that was well priced since I'm going to do a trash the dress shot with it.

Mine was an off-the-rack dress too. Been married almost 27 years now so I must not have needed the one of a kind designer dresses that shop sells. I bought my dress in....wait for it....Bakersfield!! :lol:

My 3 dresses:

Ceremony dress for civil wedding: David's bridal off the rack monstrosity $350 I hated it. It was hot and itchy.

Reception dress for civil wedding: civil war ball gown - priceless as my big brother made it and my dad and I went halvsies on supplies bout $200. The consensus was we should have sold the other dress and I should have just worn that one.

wedding dress for Jewish wedding: David's bridal off the rack maternity bridesmaids gown and bolero- $150 total.

Honestly, if I had my life to do over again, we would have had a Jewish wedding instead of the civil one, but we hadn't converted by that point in our lives, what's done is done.

However my father in law loves to joke that I'm the only woman he knows with 3 wedding dresses and I am married to the same guy with all of them! :lol:

You have to pay to have an appointment, something I think a bridal store should never do, but it deters people from wasting the time of salespeople who work for commission.

Most of those gowns are made-to-order unless you go to their sample sale, but alterations is not included, which is what jacks up the final cost big time. It's expensive, but you're talking about most of those dresses being made right here in the garment district with real silks, hand-beading, and quality notions. DB imports from Vietnam and made with cheap poly that smells like fish when you steam them.

FYI, I worked 5 years in the alterations at DB. I could talk about this until my face turned blue. It turned me off from having any type of "traditional" wedding.

I never understood that either, but then again when I get married, I would rather have an off the rack dress that doesn't cost a fortune like those dresses do.

You have to pay to have an appointment, something I think a bridal store should never do, but it deters people from wasting the time of salespeople who work for commission.

Most of those gowns are made-to-order unless you go to their sample sale, but alterations is not included, which is what jacks up the final cost big time. It's expensive, but you're talking about most of those dresses being made right here in the garment district with real silks, hand-beading, and quality notions. DB imports from Vietnam and made with cheap poly that smells like fish when you steam them.

FYI, I worked 5 years in the alterations at DB. I could talk about this until my face turned blue. It turned me off from having any type of "traditional" wedding.

I've searched for Kleinfeld charging for appointments and I don't see it on their site. I know they don't charge people for being on Say Yes To The Dress. On TWoP people have said its a pretty long filming day and Kleinfeld does give a bit of a discount.

The dress stuff I 'get' (although I'm not sure I fully agree). It's the rest of the wedding trappings that puzzle me. No one cares about the candles you're giving out as favours!

I do watch that show as a guilty pleasure. Most of the dresses cost more than my wedding will.

I agree though it's the other stuff I don't get. I read on a recent wedding blog someone deciding against a reception venue because of the curatins (saw a photo - not many curatinns in the hall, and they were a perfectly normal colour). In saying that, Mr. Flojo-to-be is currently (and really, quite rightly) trying to make me slightly less stingy with regard to the wedding :D

I've searched for Kleinfeld charging for appointments and I don't see it on their site. I know they don't charge people for being on Say Yes To The Dress. On TWoP people have said its a pretty long filming day and Kleinfeld does give a bit of a discount.

The dress stuff I 'get' (although I'm not sure I fully agree). It's the rest of the wedding trappings that puzzle me. No one cares about the candles you're giving out as favours!

:think: Maybe she misspoke. I just remember her walking away from Kleinfieds over some type of fee and going to Vera Wang instead.

I bought an off the rack from DB in the size that fit me, and not a size up so that I "could get it altered for a more custom fit." Whatever. Sale rack, under $400, not itchy and not strapless.

My dress was on clearance at a Jessica McClintock prom dress shop, it was $70, I believe.

I bought an off the rack from DB in the size that fit me, and not a size up so that I "could get it altered for a more custom fit." Whatever. Sale rack, under $400, not itchy and not strapless.

That' was part of why I hated mine. They pulled the same crap, my mother bought into it and then oh then, THEY REFUSED TO ALTER IT. Insisting I needed a "special" bra. Never mind, i already came in with a strapless bra that fit just fine, oh no, i needed THEIR $80 long line bra that dug into my hips....

My mother basically talked me into the dress I hated. I wanted a historical dress, but my family has a history of "no dear, we know what you want more than you think you know dearie".

That' was part of why I hated mine. They pulled the same crap, my mother bought into it and then oh then, THEY REFUSED TO ALTER IT. Insisting I needed a "special" bra. Never mind, i already came in with a strapless bra that fit just fine, oh no, i needed THEIR $80 long line bra that dug into my hips....

My mother basically talked me into the dress I hated. I wanted a historical dress, but my family has a history of "no dear, we know what you want more than you think you know dearie".

Different stores have different bullshit. It's all about making goal.

I always wanted a bride to have a dress that fit. I'd even recommend how to do certain things if she was capable of doing it at home (i.e. sew in straps, bra cups, safety pin a bustle). I didn't work for commission so I didn't give shit about making my goal, so I made sure my brides were happy and I hooked them up with good service. The environment there is to sell things people didn't need, which I saw as bad business, why DB has a bad reputation, and why I left.

I made my dress. Was still sewing pearls on the veil as I sat at the hairdressers on my wedding morning. Cheap as chips though - a bit of ivory silk and that was it. Maybe £130 ish? (25 years ago this year.)

I'm addicted to this show! My favorite dress - one I would actually wear if I ever get married - is a JC Penney dress I saw online for $69. I can't imagine paying $25,000 on a dress. That being said, I know myself and I'm certain if I had some enormous income I'd probably spend thousands simply because I could. :lol:

One of my favorite weddings was my cousin. She and her hubby had lived together in sin for years. She already had grandkids. (She was a teen mom, as was her daughter). She and hubby were bikers. So she wore white jeans and a white shirt, with a white baseball cap, and the reception was a pig roast.

Archived