IGNORED

"Our Voting Process Shouldn't Accommodate Black Voters"

MyNameIsJonas

Oh, and for those who think I don't know anything about racism, my oldest son is biracial (AA and Caucasian) and we dealt with an enormous amount of racism through the years.

So surely you understand the difference between having a decent percentage of the population think you are unattractive, stupid and dangerous FROM THE MOMENT YOU ARE BORN; being more likely to be disciplined and suspended for minor issues; less likely to be placed in advanced or gifted classes even when adjusting for merit-based achievement; having laws in place to make it more difficult to vote; rarely seeing someone who looks like you portrayed in a positive role on the media; et al and once I met a black person who did not like me just because I am white.

Surely. you see. the difference.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, I am concerned for this hypothetical son if his own mama thinks the racial issues he faces are equal to the ones she faces.

What a troll.

My pedicure color this week is OPI's Shanghai Shimmer. It's a little more purple than I normally tend to go with, but I think it's really pretty.

ShanghaiShimmer.jpg

I never ever said it was "equal" or exactly the same. Only that racism goes both ways and if people truly cared about it, they would want to put a stop to it in ALL circumstances, not just certain circumstances.

I never ever said it was "equal" or exactly the same. Only that racism goes both ways and if people truly cared about it, they would want to put a stop to it in ALL circumstances, not just certain circumstances.

And I explained to you that they don't go both ways, because white men have the majority of power in American government.

Oh, and for those who think I don't know anything about racism, my oldest son is biracial (AA and Caucasian) and we dealt with an enormous amount of racism through the years.

"WE" have not dealt with an enormous amount of racism. "HE" has. I can't believe you came on here talking about an isolated incident of "reverse racism" and then started complaining about how people don't care about racism as a whole. You're an idiot. Your son does not excuse you from being a racist. Your dating life does not excuse you. You will never know what it is like to be oppressed based on your race. You must actually be an idiot!

Oh, I see, so having to raise a son and deal with the racism he faced every day of his life is exactly the same as just casually knowing someone who is a different race. What a fucking idiot you are.

I'm sure you know precisely how your son feels, because...oh, wait, you're not him. You sound like my dad in his worse moments, when he claims he totally knows what it's like to be a biracial woman in a society that has a problem with latent racism and sexism. Ahem, that's not how this works. But nice try.

edited because I hope you step on a lego

I'm going to get a manicure and a pedicure on Friday! Light blue on my toes and an American on my fingernails.

Do you do gels? I love how long they last, but hate trying to get them off on my own when I get bored with the color.

Have you seen anyone say that they don't want to stop all racism? No? You're assuming. The issue we are upset about is the one in the OP. If you think reverse racism deserves equal attention, start your own goddamn thread.

SWL, you are always such a fun glimpse into the authoritarian mind. Here we have a thread discussing people in power, our government, in this case old white guys of a particular political party, trying to pass laws that will deny many people their constitutionl right to vote. The people who will lose this right BECASUE OF THE ACTIONS OF THE GOVERNMENT are largely racial minorities, poor, or both.

You rush in saying what horrible people we are becasue we are not equally upset about three idiots at 1 poling place 4 years ago. Your tactic is called false equivalency, and I really wonder if if you are trolling us, or if you actually think systematic racism practiced by our government is ok, because occasionally people who are racial minorities do stupid things like yell threats at a polling place. Are you really so uncomfortable with the idea that people in power abuse that power? And that to do so is wrong? And that maybe citizens have a right to be pissed off about it? Because you really come across as an apologist for government led civil rights violations.

Guest Anonymous

Do you do gels? I love how long they last, but hate trying to get them off on my own when I get bored with the color.

To be honest this is my first real mani-pedi. I'm just going to get them to paint my real nails. Are they going to look at me like I'm off my nut?

We have limited ability to control the actions and speech of private citizens. The ultra-liberal ACLU has fought for the KKK's right to be racist assholes because they have the right to be racist assholes. Ditto for the 3 Black Panthers that you seem to care so much about; they have the right to feel a certain way but only their actions are restricted. The men in question were charged and I believe convicted of voter intimidation so there is not a lot to be concerned about here. Meanwhile, institutional voter intimidation is going on and affecting millions of people and no one is being charged. So guess which one I care about?

To be honest this is my first real mani-pedi. I'm just going to get them to paint my real nails. Are they going to look at me like I'm off my nut?

I don't think so. I have only had two pedis in my life and both times they were more appalled by my callouses.

That's because excluding the president and a small number of minorities in the American government, most of the people in power are old white men, you bitch. Racism is not just about making fun of others, it's about 1 group in power opressing the other groups. Name 1 time in the white Western world where whites were slaves to blacks and were forced to hide their religious identies on plantations? Oh, wait, you can't. Shut the fuck up. (Others, please correct me if I'm being ignorant.)

Hawaii has a lot of racism toward whites. http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/i ... n-paradise

We have limited ability to control the actions and speech of private citizens. The ultra-liberal ACLU has fought for the KKK's right to be racist assholes because they have the right to be racist assholes. Ditto for the 3 Black Panthers that you seem to care so much about; they have the right to feel a certain way but only their actions are restricted. The men in question were charged and I believe convicted of voter intimidation so there is not a lot to be concerned about here. Meanwhile, institutional voter intimidation is going on and affecting millions of people and no one is being charged. So guess which one I care about?

Ummm, no, maybe YOU should be better informed. Charges were dropped because AG Holder is a fucking asshole.

I like having my real nails done just because it looks more natural. Whenever I get mani-pedis they last pretty long and sometimes I'll bring my own color so I can touch up at home. The acrylics are too uncomfortable.

I get pedis regularly and they just beautify my feet and put the color right on my real toenails. I don't think they will look at you weird for that. :D

Oh, no. They'll probably try to upsell you to a gel Shellac. Goes on your real nails and lasts a long time, but can be a bugger to get off on your own. You need pure acetone to strip it off.

Hawaii has a lot of racism toward whites. http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/i ... n-paradise

MOST OF AMERICAN GOVERNMENT, not just 1 state, you moron, HAVE WHITE MEN IN POWER. WHAT. DO. YOU. NOT. UNDERSTAND. ABOUT. THIS? You cry, "Why do the Hawaiians hate the whites?" Um, maybe 'cause they took their land and killed their people, you dolt?

MOST OF AMERICAN GOVERNMENT, not just 1 state, you moron, HAVE WHITE MEN IN POWER. WHAT. DO. YOU. NOT. UNDERSTAND. ABOUT. THIS?

Oh, so racism in Hawaii is a-ok. I see.

Ummm, no, maybe YOU should be better informed. Charges were dropped because AG Holder is a fucking asshole.

I just looked it up. Charges were dropped because no voters made a complaint and because voter intimidation laws are intended to address officials intimidating voters, not private citizens standing around yelling.

As for Hawaii, again you fail to understand why two people yelling something mean at a white person is different from institutional racism. Private citizens have the right to yell and be general assholes to each other for pretty much any reason. That is not the same as the government trying to stop racial minorities from voting. False equivalence. Look it up.

Oh, so racism in Hawaii is a-ok. I see.

Are whites being denied jobs in Hawaii? Have they ever been enslaved? Racialy profiled? And you think that people telling whites to go back to the mainland is "racism." You're more ignorant than I thought.

I just looked it up. Charges were dropped because no voters made a complaint and because voter intimidation laws are intended to address officials intimidating voters, not private citizens standing around yelling.

As for Hawaii, again you fail to understand why two people yelling something mean at a white person is different from institutional racism. Private citizens have the right to yell and be general assholes to each other for pretty much any reason. That is not the same as the government trying to stop racial minorities from voting. False equivalence. Look it up.

I'm just going to second emmie, because you say all this better than I ever could.

Archived