IGNORED

Have you been influenced by fundies?

shedemei

I was brought up fundy, and continued (more or less) on the fundy paths until my divorce.

My experience IN the movement has made me acknowledge I really am a feminist. My readings after leaving have made me more distrustful of things billed as "couples' ministry" or "family conference," things that sound innocent but are so easily co-opted for patriarchy lessons.

as a homeschooling parent, I'm completely paranoid about curriculum and groups and other homeschooling families. I signed my son to join a group here in NC sponsored by the NC Dept of Soil & Water for this coming school year. The woman in charge seems a "strong Christian," of the fundy-stripe. If it weren't for the government sponsorship, we would have passed because the setup sends off YEC vibes.

Have you checked for secular homeschool groups in your area? http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you checked for secular homeschool groups in your area? http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/

thanks for the link; I will see if I can find some local 'regular' people.

I had found a non-religious group a couple years ago, but we didn't mesh well. I guess they're "crunchy" or whatever while we're just mainstream, commercialized America. (And most of that group's members are religious, but religion isn't an acceptable discussion topic.)

I find that deep down most of the people in these homes are a mess. However, on the surface everything appears perfect. I would never be influenced by the "deep down" stuff (ideas about religion, marriage, woman, faith) because I have different views. However, much of the "picture perfect" stuff can actually be helpful (recipes, make your own detergent, cleaning tips, organizational ideas)

this. i think researching fundies made me much more secure in handling my own identity in terms of lgtb rights and feminism. i think it really helps to deconstruct those fundie communities to see where their hate is coming from.

Me as well. After reading various fundie blogs that I vehemently disagreed with, I was much more able to articulate my own positions in favour of feminism and gay rights.

On the lighter side of learning experiences, I used to do the curlygirl haircare method recommended by Gretchen et al, back when they started doing it. At the time I had long curly hair and it had never looked better. I had to abandon my low-shampoo methods after cutting my hair super short, which necessitated the use of a styling product that would only come out with shampoo.

I don't see avoiding lashon hara as being fundie/Orthodox -- it's a part of Reform, Reconstructionist and Conservative teaching, as well. And similar ideas are in other cultural traditions, as well.

Oh, of course. I didn't mean it in that way. This was simply how I discovered it.

I watch them sometimes and think, "Thank GAWD I'm not a fundie!" I also get a kick out of the fact that they do these shows at least in part (along with greed and famewhoredom) to promote their cause and attract converts to "God's army," but I would bet these shows actually send the majority of people screaming in the opposite direction. There may be a sort of odd fascination with watching them, but that's about it.

I want to say not really, but this morning I had a mini crisis as I looked into the mirror. I stood there in my mid calf length skirt, cotton tshirt and long hair and yelled "SHIT I LOOK LIKE A FUNDIE!"

Sigh.

I have found myself intrigued by the fertility awareness methods that a lot of fundies use, but mainly because we are currently trying to conceive. I also check out chore charts sometimes when I feel like my house needs a bit of extra attention, but I don't quite know where to start. But the similarities end there, and I often find myself happy to be in a relationship full of equality and love, and super grateful that my parents valued a solid education.

I also check out chore charts sometimes when I feel like my house needs a bit of extra attention, but I don't quite know where to start.

I have actually drawn up a chore chart for myself, but I never stick to it.

I had a fundie moment a few weeks ago when I went stand-up paddleboarding with friends. Everyone else on the lake was wearing shorts and a t-shirt or just a bathing suit, and I was wearing a calf-length skirt, loose long-sleeved shirt, and a hat that makes me look like a park ranger. My skin burns quickly and easily, plus I was going for a skin cancer evaluation in a few days and was freaking out, so that was the best I could do for being cool in 90º F weather while covering up. I felt like a Duggar. Guys were chatting up my friends from their boats as we drifted by, but none of them paid any attention to their apparently fundie, ultra-modest, frumpy friend. :D

I learned about the uber-modest "burkini" type of swimwear from ultrareligious blogs, and I have actually considered it for sun protection in situations like the above. I am not sure if that would have been better or worse.

Fundies have made me realize that my parents are really the supportive ones. It makes me sad knowing that SAHDs around my age, like the Robotkins and Sarah Maxwell won't be able to do what I'm doing-living alone in a another country, with my own (fundie-approved) job-and I don't find myself getting into horrible trouble without the guidance of my headship. Thanks, fundies!

Fundies have made me side-eye Christianity. I feel bad even writing this. But I automatically distrust anything labeled Christian because I can be pretty assured that the person who named it thus means to use it to make money or take away my rights. Or both.

Thanks to fundie blogs, I go into rage whenever someone says Judaeo-Christian. We have literally nothing--NOTHING--in common.

I am more comfortable identifying as a feminist and a liberal because I have seen the other side and it is not pretty. That is actually a good thing. I like to think of myself as a godless hag. It has a nice ring to it.

I guess fundie blogs have made me realize that they are not a long-skirted Jesus-thumping version of me. They are completely alien to everything I believe. They are dangerous and should not be tolerated.

If anything, reading about the fundies here have helped me be more grateful for my (still extremely screwed) upbringing, since no matter how bad it was for me growing up, it could have been worse.

A lot worse.

*shudders* Gives me the jibblies just thinking about it.

Archived