IGNORED

Have you been influenced by fundies?

shedemei

They've brought me to re-evaluating what it truly means to be a Christian and a good person.

They have also shown me the kind of life I never want for my daughter, and hope to fight against with my vote, my wallet and my voice.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Marian mentioned, my fundie snarkdom has certainly given me a vast amount of gratitude for my life. I have learned some organizational skills from the larger families. That I admit has been beneficial as the boys all share a room.

Yes. I feel thankful every single day that I'm not living the life of a Botkinette, or Sarah Maxwell!!

This for me, too. I take time to appreciate the fact that I've been able to make choices that these fundie girls (women) will never be able to make unless they can break free somehow. The Maxwells, especially, make me appreciate my life and the world I live in. When I listen to music or watch some new show I've been wanting to watch (lately I'm hooked on Downton Abbey, streaming it on the computer) it crosses my mind that poor Sarah will never get to see this or hear this or whatever. Gawd, if I had to endure "Bible time" three or four times a day I think I'd go crazy! :angry-banghead:

I'm a recovering fundie. Spent about 10 years of my adult life in IFB churches. I worked in a Christian school that had a strict dress code (if I was anywhere on church/school property at ANY time I needed to have a skirt or dress "to the middle of the knee or longer" on) and lemme tell ya, after I quit working there it was a l-o-n-g time before I put a skirt on again. I read Debi Pearl's "Helpmeet" book as I was on my way out of fundamentalism - which just solidified my choice to NOT live like that anymore.

I'm Catholic now, but not one of *those* Catholics.

Oh, welcome to FJ...from the other "Pixydust"! :? :lol:

My exposure to fundies has changed me. I think I am better for the change. However I have not been changed in the way I would image that fundies would be pleased with.

(1) I have been atheist. The more I read about the different religions - the more I found I disagreed/disliked/hated all the fundamentalist religions. This decision to be an atheist must be the right one for me because I feel cleaner and freer since I settled into the atheist camp.

(2) I am a feminist. For many years I resisted this label - but when I saw what fundies did to strip women of their power I felt I had to take a firm stand. I think this makes me a stronger person.

(3) This is related to (2) When I read about fundie women being ever so careful not to lead on the men - it makes me aware of ways I might give away my own power and I have become more and more careful about giving away my own power. I think this has made me less of a door mat (which was a problem for me as I tend to want to soothe everything over and I was (in the past) taken advantage of because of this).

(4) Every now and again I have tried a recipe or craft I have found on a fundie blog and some have worked out nicely.

(5) All the credit for these changes goes to FJ - not fundies - I have seen some FJ'ers do some pretty neat computer tricks and it has helped me become a bit better at social media(as I try to duplicate their computer kung fu). I have also improved my spelling and grammar (and I know I have a LONG way to go!) . For years I have relied on transcriptionists/secretaries to handle all my writing. If I did write something it would usually be in the form of a series of short forms or acronyms with nary a full word or punctuation mark in sight. Writing posts forces me to dig way way way back to the last time I took an English class (>20 years ago). This is a good thing.

I am more in touch with my feminine side. I've always enjoyed cooking and sewing and "making" a home so at first chance the fundie blogs lovely to read for inspiration. Unlike fundie women, I have a choice to remain at home.

Also, I go to bed at night thankful that I am not Kelly Bradrick!!

Following the blogs I follow, and reading here has definately pushed me deeper into atheism and given me a strong(er) dislike for all organised religion. And also for Steve Maxwell.

Nicely said. I wholly subscribe to your worldview. Let me add that I've been influenced by the poor grammar in blogs and spoken word anytime I see fundies on TV or YouTube; they've taught me how NOT to write or speak.

Reading about the SOTDRT has pushed me to make sure that I'm not letting my homeschool students down.

Seeing the skeevy, cultish aspects of fundamentalism outlined has made me very vigilant about the materials I buy or recycle for our Sunday school program. I ended up pitching a whole set of books because they started pushing children to fight battles about the Bible being "literally" true in frickin' preschool, plus there was a chapter at the beginning of the older kids' book about being alert to opportunities to "lead" children who were already in Sunday school to "become Christian" by reciting--well, guess which prayer. NO. Quit getting your fundamentalism in my Anglicanism, David C. Cook Bible-in-Life!

When I started reading the Maxwells' stuff, I actually found inspiration in their work ethic. They wrote people shouldn't "expect" studying and working to be fun but to keep in mind that "nonfun" stuff can still serve a positive long term goal. I think I read their stuff when I was dredging through a mountainload of unpleasant work and it inspired me that there are people whose entire life is work so I don't have it nearly as bad. Plus, delayed gratification is good advice in general for any student LOL.

I think the only other thing I got out of my fundie exposure is appreciation for my husband who is able to provide much better than these fundie men who were raised to be "manly providers". I am able to provide for my family and plan on working but it's nice to have the option of a husband who can provide which doesn't force me to give up health insurance or box up my kids into crates at night. :~)

I've followed a bunch of orthodox and OTD orthodox Jewish blogs for a few years. The laws of lashon hara really interest me and I've found that following them has made a real improvement in how I feel about my interactions with other people. Other than that, it's a fascinating glimpse into a culture that is not my own.

Have any of you found that you've picked up a little fundie along the way?

I don't see avoiding lashon hara as being fundie/Orthodox -- it's a part of Reform, Reconstructionist and Conservative teaching, as well. And similar ideas are in other cultural traditions, as well.

I don't think I've picked up anything desirable from the fundies. I've used my knowledge of some of them to better understand the insidious slime of their bigotry, child abuse, and patriarchy, and to remind myself to be vigilant about opposing it.

Oh, and my Mom taught me to wash the tops of jars, bottles and cans before opening. I taught her about thumping to get the lettuce core to come out, but can't remember where I learned it! :D

Yeah. It makes me thankful that I'm not married to a fundie type anymore the more I read about submitting. That was his line, and it never made sense then, but it's nice now that I'm far away from it that it still seems crazy in the lives of other people. Either that or it's obvious they really have no clue what they're talking about because their headships don't actually do any leading. It's all role play and eye batting.

On the flip side I do worry that I over-react with any perception of patriarchy. I got in a fight with my boyfriend this morning because he thought I was issuing him a command (to kiss me, of all things) and I got suspicious of why he would hate that so much. That sort of thing. Kind of dumb but I really want to know that patriarchy will not ruin my life again.

Reading fundie blogs has done something for me that I didn't think was possible. It has made me grateful for my upbringing and childhood.

It reminds me that working to protect women's reproductive rights is indeed my calling. That's all.

I am more in touch with my feminine side. I've always enjoyed cooking and sewing and "making" a home so at first chance the fundie blogs lovely to read for inspiration. Unlike fundie women, I have a choice to remain at home.

This for me aswell. Coupled with having a baby and being a part time SAHM, I've taken some tips from the fundiesphere about making a nice home. But I do it for US, not for Him, or my husband.

It reminds me that working to protect women's reproductive rights is indeed my calling. That's all.

Are you in the US? If not, you should be. They need you!

They've brought me to re-evaluating what it truly means to be a Christian and a good person.

They have also shown me the kind of life I never want for my daughter, and hope to fight against with my vote, my wallet and my voice.

This and this.

And also, the laundry detergent. I have lots of allergies, anyway, and still found that nothing I bought really worked--and I tried them all. That works. (OK, yeah, I also enjoy the cheapness.)

And from your learnings, I have learned about de-coring lettuce. Neat!

If I remember correctly, it mostly works with iceberg lettuce (I haven't had iceberg lettuce for years -- once I tried the darker greens, I was hooked!).

Fundies have influenced our family in a few ways. Yes, we make our own laundry soap. However, most of my fundie experience has been in person experiences at homeschooling events and thru some former friends. When we first started homeschooling we thought homeschooling groups were about park days and field trips. I was way wrong on that one. I joined a Christian homeschool group and found out about three weeks later they called a "field trip" taking kids down to the local abortion clinic to hold signs and pray. That was after a field trip to the SPCA so bascially one field trip and we went running for the hills. We still homeschool so I make sure to check out the groups very carefully before associating with them. I also check and recheck curriculum before making a purchase. I ALWAYS find out who wrote a particular book, their level of education, and background. Just because someone has six kids doesn't make them a science expert. As for my relationship with my hubby being around fundies has made me love him more. He's not afraid to load the dishwasher, flip a pancake, or buy his wife an outfit that would make the Duggars scream "Nike".

Actually they have influenced me in another way - I swear it's part of the reason my biological clock has suddenly started going where before it never made a peep.

Oh yeah - this happened to me, too. I find myself mentally counting up how many kids I might be able to have before menopause kicks in. Not that I WANT that many, but I can't help myself. I'm far more paranoid than I ever was when it comes to my fertility issues.

On the other hand, I've picked up a few tips for handling my vile cycles and some pregnancy issues.

I haven't been "saved" by their inspiring witness, however. I was a Christian who was toeing the line between Fundie Lite and Fundie when I discovered their blogs. Following some of them for a while made me realize that living that life would make me suicidal within a few more months, and also made me realize that the Pagan ways were how I wanted to live.

I think it's made me more comfortable in my identity as a feminist.

I confess though... I read through thatwife's weddingbee blog after it was posted the other day. I plan on stealing one of her ideas....

I did copy some of there laundrey-sorting. I have little baskets now for each member of my family and socks and underwear go into that basket when I'm folding the laundrey.

When I see them do something neat in managing there house, I will copy. I haven't adopted any of there convictions and I don't think I will.

Like others, my atheism and feminism has been strengthened. It has also made me realize that patriarchy is damaging to men as well.

I think it's made me more comfortable in my identity as a feminist.

this. i think researching fundies made me much more secure in handling my own identity in terms of lgtb rights and feminism. i think it really helps to deconstruct those fundie communities to see where their hate is coming from.

I was brought up fundy, and continued (more or less) on the fundy paths until my divorce.

My experience IN the movement has made me acknowledge I really am a feminist. My readings after leaving have made me more distrustful of things billed as "couples' ministry" or "family conference," things that sound innocent but are so easily co-opted for patriarchy lessons.

as a homeschooling parent, I'm completely paranoid about curriculum and groups and other homeschooling families. I signed my son to join a group here in NC sponsored by the NC Dept of Soil & Water for this coming school year. The woman in charge seems a "strong Christian," of the fundy-stripe. If it weren't for the government sponsorship, we would have passed because the setup sends off YEC vibes.

Archived