IGNORED

Have you been influenced by fundies?

shedemei

I've followed a bunch of orthodox and OTD orthodox Jewish blogs for a few years. The laws of lashon hara really interest me and I've found that following them has made a real improvement in how I feel about my interactions with other people. Other than that, it's a fascinating glimpse into a culture that is not my own.

Have any of you found that you've picked up a little fundie along the way?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great question.

The whole Duggar related discussion of "being modest really means not drawing attention to yourself" speaks to me, but in a way that has nothing to do with clothing.

Likewise, the way guppy-mouthed fundie women stare adoringly at their headships makes me think about how really caring about someone includes not patronizing them, but being honest, genuine and caring with them all the time.

Equality also means pulling your own weight in the relationship, not dumping all the responsibility on one person (meet the headship) and absolving yourself of shared adult responsibilities.

If I've been influenced by fundies along the way, it's probably more along the lines of why their ways are so not right for me.

The Duggars taught me to wash the tops of my cans before opening them. Aside from that, not really.

Following fundies has caused me to seriously think about what I actually believe, but I haven't really come to any conclusions yet.

The other day I got a mailing from my favorite fabric store. Inside was a color picture of a woman wearing a floor length denim skirt...and I thought "Oh cute! I could make that." So yes, fundies have influenced me. Sort of. I have not bought the pattern or the denim!

Edited because I really do know how to spell.

Sort of. I want to make sure that everything I do is better than them, so it inspires me to become more educated and hone my thinking skills, as well as get more done and have more fun.

I rarely find myself inspired from their blogs though like I do from the blogs of other people.

I like some of the recipes they post. The only thing I've ever made was banana chocolate chip muffins (mentioned by Zsu, but she didn't post the recipe) but it's nice to see them every now and then and think, "I might try that" or "that looks good."

I've considered making laundry soap and decided it seems like too much trouble for our little family. (It's like the time I made ketchup from our tomato surplus. It took all evening, yielded 2 pints, the product didn't taste like what we were used to and store-brand ketchup at that time was less than a dollar a bottle, so it was not worth it.)

I appreciate some of the "off the grid" blogs and posts about simple living and sustainability. I lost track of most of them, but it lets me admire a lifestyle that would burn me out within a year. And if it helps me be a little "greener," then all the better for this city slicker.

I do like some of the recipes too, but honestly most of them make far more unhealthy things than I ever would!

Actually they have influenced me in another way - I swear it's part of the reason my biological clock has suddenly started going where before it never made a peep.

Anna T's post today about her rescue chickens made me decide that I'll only buy eggs from free-range chickens from now on.

*edited to fix a dangling modifier, or whatever that's called when you misplace a modifying word that makes the sentence say something it doesn't mean.

I'm a recovering fundie. Spent about 10 years of my adult life in IFB churches. I worked in a Christian school that had a strict dress code (if I was anywhere on church/school property at ANY time I needed to have a skirt or dress "to the middle of the knee or longer" on) and lemme tell ya, after I quit working there it was a l-o-n-g time before I put a skirt on again. I read Debi Pearl's "Helpmeet" book as I was on my way out of fundamentalism - which just solidified my choice to NOT live like that anymore.

I'm Catholic now, but not one of *those* Catholics.

In the 6th grade. I got involved in a fundie lite/Christian cult lite church and organization. My parents were both raised Catholic, but weren't really religious and went to church once and awhile. I got fully involved in the movement and wanted to form myself to be a servant for Christ and to shine his light on the world. My parents were concerned, but weren't all interested in involving themselves enough to get me to stop attending church, mission trips, and youth group gatherings.

Even though I became an unbeliever during college. I still have to work agaisnt held over beliefs that I was taught. For the longest time I thought that there wasn't a fossil record demonstrating evolution. I remember bringing that up in my Bio 101 class and now with a masters in bio engineering. I laugh at being stupid.

I also wrestle with being a submissive wife to my husband because I was taught that is how a good Christian woman behaves. A small part of me is drawn into the way fundies raise their children and how they treat their husbands. For about a split second. I think that if I follow their advice then I will have less arguments with my husband and an easy time raising a well behaved child. But I realize that I am entirely too outspoken to become a meek and submissive wife and becoming one would not fly with my headship. I also rather enjoy treating my child with respect and letting him develop into his own person.

I could be swayed by the fundies until logic and reason kick in.

I also like some of their recipes, but they do make a lot of unhealthy food, so it's rare for me to try a fundie recipe. The other influence is that I go to Target and Home Depot before, and I quit going to Chick-fil-A months ago with no desire to return. I'm also using my right to vote and I'm not voting for any Republican because those who want to take away my rights to my body have pretty much started to take over that party. I'm registered as nonpartisan as I think the major political parties don't represent me.

I was introduced to sewing by way of Jennie Chancey and S&S patterns. I was a pretty active member of her forum in the early 2000s. I still have all the patterns. I still like the styles, I guess that says a lot.

Yes, towards utter nihilism, hatred of humanity, and quite liking hijabs.

Following the blogs I follow, and reading here has definately pushed me deeper into atheism and given me a strong(er) dislike for all organised religion. And also for Steve Maxwell.

I have become convinced that my ten year old self was smarter than I had thought when I completely rejected IFB churches and their followers and made my mother promise to keep the IFB auntie away from me.

I get frequent reminders of how insulting to women fundy philosophy is by a couple of my neighbors. Just yesterday one of them whispered to me that her husband was allowing her to make a $20 necessary purchase. All of the fundy husbands go to the grocery store with their wives. It's in the guise of helping with the lifting, but I'm sure that there is a ton of controlling the purchases going on also.

So I have learned that I was right to run from the guilt theology, the overly structured legalistic "faith," and the control freak patriarchy. I've probably read more of the Bible with more intent than I would have to see what the true context is of things that they've thrown at me so I could counter their "discussions."

Yes. I feel thankful every single day that I'm not living the life of a Botkinette, or Sarah Maxwell!!

The Duggars taught me to wash the tops of my cans before opening them. Aside from that, not really.

I learned to smack iceberg lettuce on the counter to de-core it from them. Once in a while I'll look at their recipes when I'm planning a big party, but then reject them and make lasagne instead.

Following the blogs I follow, and reading here has definately pushed me deeper into atheism and given me a strong(er) dislike for all organised religion. And also for Steve Maxwell.

This.

I've been lettuce-core-smacking and can-top-washing as far back as I can remember. Could my atheism be overcompensation for latent fundie tendencies? ACK!

They've, by and large, made me reevaluate my faith and made me determined not to make hate a part of it like they do. Also, they've made me determined to not ever make my interpretation of modest dress and modesty in general look as ugly as theirs :dance:

JesusFightClub, I love hijabs too. I've considered wearing them but I think I love wearing short skirts a bit too much.

Archived