IGNORED

Michelle Says Josie Is Normal

Visionoyahweh

Michelle actually remembered Josie exists, and decided to tell us all to STFU:

http://parentables.howstuffworks.com/he ... ddler.html

Josie made it through this last flu season without having to use it, but our pediatric doctor told us,

Conveniently leaving out the world tour which made her seriously Ill. Technically that didn't happen during flu season. it's all good!

There are different milestones that will come at different times. For Josie she caught up with those milestones at about the time the doctor said that she would, about the age of 2, adjusted a few months to take into account how early she was born.

Most eagle-eyed views know she's not entirely caught up.

We're sitting around the table now each afternoon having wisdom-book time and memory-lane time (where we memorize and sing songs), and Josie just catches it instantly. She'll sing all the songs we're singing word perfect and keep the pitch and everything just right.

Wisdom booklets. Shiver.

Micropreemies need more than that to catch up, idiot.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a savant when it comes to micro premies and milestones, but I would prefer the opinion of a real MD rather than that of a woman who thinks the world's population could fit inside the city of Jacksonville.

Oh bullshit. I was about as premature as Josie. One doesn't usually come out of that being "normal" or exactly like a term baby. She seems to be walking alright so that's a good sign. She also might be talking some what (Santorum video). She shows a great deal of promise and they are very lucky. But also hopelessly naive. Newsflash Michelle she needs to go to a real doctor to be assessed and not just well baby visits. At the very least she needs to see someone who can check developmental issues. But good try.

Mullet needs to catch up herself on grammar and syntax. Baby Jeebus is crying as he reads that slop.

Regarding micropreemies, I thought they weren't cleared until they hit some milestones around kindergarten age that have to do with cognitive development that cant' be ascertained at 2 1/2. Anyone, feel free to refute, tweak, or confirm this statement. Unlike Sadie, I can handle the criticism. :mrgreen:

I'm not sure when I was cleared per se, because I was just a kid. But I know I wasn't even fully diagnosed with my disability until well over 2 years old (though I have mobility problems so it was more obvious perhaps). Then after that, I had to multiple different kinds of assessments throughout my early childhood such as hearing tests, occupational tests, and so on. Even though my hearing is fine, they still test for everything that may have been affected in order to cover their bases. I know I underwent some kind of testing before I entered regular school. The therapist just basically interviewed me to see how well I could communicate and answer questions on things you teach young children (letters, colours, numbers etc). I think they were trying to see if I needed to go to a special education type of school or not. This was 20 odd years ago so the procedures have probably changed quite a bit but that's what happened to me at least.

Oh bullshit. I was about as premature as Josie. One doesn't usually come out of that being "normal" or exactly like a term baby. She seems to be walking alright so that's a good sign. She also might be talking some what (Santorum video). She shows a great deal of promise and they are very lucky. But also hopelessly naive. Newsflash Michelle she needs to go to a real doctor to be assessed and not just well baby visits. At the very least she needs to see someone who can check developmental issues. But good try.

This.

This can't be a good thing:

"She is probably my strongest toddler I've ever had -- both in physical strength and determination. She's a little spitfire...."

It's not a good thing to be determined in that house... or is it? :think:

This can't be a good thing:

"She is probably my strongest toddler I've ever had -- both in physical strength and determination. She's a little spitfire...."

It's not a good thing to be determined in that house... or is it? :think:

It's OK until the kid gets to be about twelve or so. Joy Anna was allowed to run with the howlers until around the time Josie was born. The Duggars have also clamped down on Josiah. Over the course of the show, these two have transformed from happy, mischievous children into sullen teenagers with fake smiles. I'm sure some of this is due to puberty-- all kids change a lot at that age. But the spark has gone right out of them. I expect Jed & Jer will be next.

The mullet is so full of shit. I doubt she could tell us where Josie is at this exact moment, let alone how she's doing developmentally.

The problem with Michelle's assessment is that she thinks only in terms of developmental milestones she can see and understand. Yes, it's nice to no longer have need of the oxygen monitor or to have multiple ear infections. However, micropreemies also have higher rates of learning disabilities, cognitive delays, behavior issues etc. They can also suffer from physical problems later on past toddler years. I'm not concerned about the duggars' ability to discern and seek medical help for obvious physical issues. It's the mental and cognitive delays that I'm worried about. With Michelle's laughable homeschooling attempts and the Duggars' general ignorance of special education, I can easily imagine Josie falling behind on school work. I can imagine Michelle just saying Josie is a late bloomer or that she will learn at her own pace or some excuse like that. Unless Josie is very obviously behind, I can imagine her cognitive delays getting neglected. Worse, if Michelle continues to have more kids after Josie and may one or two are also preemies with medical issues, I can see her getting lost in the shuffle. I guess we can hope Josie's sister-mother will pick up on her issues and bring it to someone's attention.

The problem with Michelle's assessment is that she thinks only in terms of developmental milestones she can see and understand. Yes, it's nice to no longer have need of the oxygen monitor or to have multiple ear infections. However, micropreemies also have higher rates of learning disabilities, cognitive delays, behavior issues etc. They can also suffer from physical problems later on past toddler years. I'm not concerned about the duggars' ability to discern and seek medical help for obvious physical issues. It's the mental and cognitive delays that I'm worried about. With Michelle's laughable homeschooling attempts and the Duggars' general ignorance of special education, I can easily imagine Josie falling behind on school work. I can imagine Michelle just saying Josie is a late bloomer or that she will learn at her own pace or some excuse like that. Unless Josie is very obviously behind, I can imagine her cognitive delays getting neglected. Worse, if Michelle continues to have more kids after Josie and may one or two are also preemies with medical issues, I can see her getting lost in the shuffle. I guess we can hope Josie's sister-mother will pick up on her issues and bring it to someone's attention.

This.

What? You mean to say that the unlicensed chriopractor they use for well baby care isn't doing a proper assessment? They hell you say! :lol:

She appears capable of eventually learning to sweep the floor, make tater tot casserole, and popping out a dozen + babies. What else is there?

She appears capable of eventually learning to sweep the floor, make tater tot casserole, and popping out a dozen + babies. What else is there?

Right. It's not much to say "Well, she can do everything we ask of her" when most of what you ask of all your kids could probably be done by a well-trained dog.

Well, the last poster beat me to it. It doesn't take a terribly high IQ and capability to be able to function as a uterus and housekeeper until her girls are old enough to take over for her. So, all of those concens y'all express.....they aren't a concern for the Duggars. If anything, shaving off a few IQ points and some functionability will make her easier to obey and be condemned to the world of servitude of QF wife.

Im glad shes doing well though (although I dont think they would notice if she has any learning difficulties as her "teacher" will be an unqualified teenage girl), and I hope Michelle does not have any more.

Fundie girls dont need to be anything more than a uterus that can clean the house anyway, so I am sure they wont mind.

The Duggar leghumpers won't see any difference between Michelle's judgement of Josie's progress and that of a qualified physician, and her fanbase are the only people she is capable of impressing at this point. And from that perspective it doesn't matter whether they're actually getting Josie properly assessed because 3 years from now they will be well out of the public eye.

Well, the last poster beat me to it. It doesn't take a terribly high IQ and capability to be able to function as a uterus and housekeeper until her girls are old enough to take over for her. So, all of those concens y'all express.....they aren't a concern for the Duggars. If anything, shaving off a few IQ points and some functionability will make her easier to obey and be condemned to the world of servitude of QF wife.

It's just heartbreaking. The Duggars want servant children and will be pleased if Josie isn't able to form complex thoughts/opinions. Why are these people allowed to be parents?

My guess is that the translation of Michelle-speak is that Josie has been released from regular checks at Arkansas Children's in Little Rock and that they aren't recommending special help at this time because she's reached adjusted standards in the milestones that they monitor.

I couldn't read it. I got stuck at "pediatric doctor." I had NO IDEA that the Duggar kids saw Dr. Doogie Howser as their PMD.

What? You mean to say that the unlicensed chriopractor they use for well baby care isn't doing a proper assessment? They hell you say! :lol:

Seriously? That's deeply disturbing if accurate.

We know a family whose first daughter was born at 33 weeks. She spent almost a month in the NICU and while she suffered no lasting ill effects, she didn't catch up developmentally until she was a toddler. She's in school now and is a bright child - you'd never know it to look at her now, but even a moderately premature baby needs some time to close that gap.

Micropreemies are a whole different ball of wax. You simply must have help from doctors, physical and occupational and speech therapists, audiologists, optometrists, etc. Most kids who were premature have services from Early Intervention and need additional medical followup because it's exceedingly rare for a micropreemie to leave the NICU with absolutely no issues stemming from their prematurity. Most wear glasses due to eye complications, many have hearing loss or cerebral palsy, etc. No micropreemie catches up that fast.

Well I was told with my daughter that micro preemies were not cleared until they hit 5. If they hit 5 and are developmentally normal, they get the all clear. Same thing with my work; if I am working with a preemie who has hit 5 and is still delayed then they don't get the all clear. Even so there are still issues associated with prematurity which can show later.

One thing I noticed though was this;

There are different milestones that will come at different times. For Josie she caught up with those milestones at about the time the doctor said that she would, about the age of 2, adjusted a few months to take into account how early she was born.

Adjusted being the operative word here.

If Josie has truly caught up her milestones, then you don't adjust. So therefore if Josie has the developmental skills of a two year old, at two years old, she has caught up. If she has the skills of a two year old at the age of two years and 4 months (which would be her adjusted age) then she hasn't caught up, she is four months regressive.

But, even so Josie doesn't seem to be doing so bad. My daughter at the age of 1 year was 7 months regressive and at 2 she was 1 year regressive. She has caught up loads now and at the age of 11 her developmental level varies between social and emotional maturity of 5 years and speech is 9 years. Her motor skills are affected due to spasticity and tremor but she does everything all the other kids do just not as fast or as graceful.

I hope they are keeping Josie's eyesight checked out. We didn't know that our daughter had retinopathy of prematurity until she was 2.5 years. Once she had glasses she seemed to progress faster.

Archived