IGNORED

Speaking of camping....

Wolfie

homesteadingtoday.com/specialty-forums/survival-emergency-preparedness/453756-if-you-were-going-have-live-tent-long-term-move.html

:shock:

I would love, love, LOVE to live in a yurt!

I stayed in one in the late fall / early winter and it was wonderful! I assume in the dead of winter you'd have to wear layers, but with the hole in the roof you could always make a fire (assuming you weren't in a downtown park patrolled by police, like we were)

Yurts are pretty common here in the PNW, heck we even have state parks that rent yurts.

A pal of mine has been living off the grid in a yurt for six years now. She's a single woman in her 40's, and has solar, a composting toilet, gravity feed hot water. It's a very good set up for her.

I have nothing against yurts, but 11 people in one and packing it up every month and moving? I have friends with yurts and I can't imagine packing one up every month and setting it back up, or stuffing 11 people into even the biggest one.

I'm not sure if she's thinking of it out of fear is worse- what is she telling the 9 kids? Why keep having kids if you live in that much fear of the world ending?

I so want to set up one of the deluxe yurts as a sewing studio/guest "suite" in my backyard as girl tchotchke's bedroom is my former sewing room and i no longer have a dedicated room for it. (because I am not a batshit fundie and refuse to stack my children on costco shelving....)

I so want to set up one of the deluxe yurts as a sewing studio/guest "suite" in my backyard as girl tchotchke's bedroom is my former sewing room and i no longer have a dedicated room for it. (because I am not a batshit fundie and refuse to stack my children on costco shelving....)

One of my friends has done that. It's pretty cool.

I had never heard of a yurt until I came to FJ and a poster from the PNW mentioned it. Those sound so cool, but they don't seem like they'd hold up well in hurricanes. It's a shame, they look so cool but I've never seen or been in one in person.

Though packing up your whole house and moving it around with a family of 11 would not be cool at all, especially once a month.

I am thinking if there were reason to have to move often such as say the gub wanting people to be in the cities instead of rural homes ect. for their "work camps". Like if there was no gas or we weren't able to buy it.

Is this an actual concern? What are these people smoking?

I have nothing against yurts, but 11 people in one and packing it up every month and moving? I have friends with yurts and I can't imagine packing one up every month and setting it back up, or stuffing 11 people into even the biggest one.

I'm not sure if she's thinking of it out of fear is worse- what is she telling the 9 kids? Why keep having kids if you live in that much fear of the world ending?

Teepees are easy to put up and take down. Problem is transporting wet canvas and the poles.

It's such a weird Doomer fantasy, this "emergency" where you'll still be able to haul around giant equipment and have all your pots & pans & shit.

The poster on that thread who said make something that can be broken down small & get the kids trained to carry was sort of halfway to reality, but *real* refugees carry cash, their kids, maybe pets & some food, and get the fuck out. If she is really worried about some rightwing conspiracy theory about persecution of Christians and rural people, she should be packing emergency go-bags (dry socks & underpants, space blanket, a few day's worth of dried food, bottles of water, plus meds, a comfort item, and identity documents) and making sure her kids have memorized things like their grandparents' or godparents names, addresses, and phone numbers and where they should meet up if they get separated. Just like you do for tornado/flood/fire preparedness.

Teepees are easy to put up and take down. Problem is transporting wet canvas and the poles.

Wet canvas= this reenactor's nightmare. *shudders*

Basically if you come home from a rainy event, you have to set up the tent, IN THE RAIN back home, and let it dry out naturally- if you leave it folded waiting for the weather to get dry... you'll end up with mildew central.... :o

Basically if you come home from a rainy event, you have to set up the tent, IN THE RAIN back home, and let it dry out naturally- if you leave it folded waiting for the weather to get dry... you'll end up with mildew central.... :o

My DD's bestie has a company that rents teepees for festivals. While the DD was unemployed last summer she toured and did the teepee thing. The only venue that was totally dry was Burning Man. :lol: But they swore they added over a hundred pounds of desert dust to their load.

I'm another who could live in a yurt. They can be built in many sizes. I'm not in a good climate for one though.

We have to do that with our backpacking tents too though. But those are small and lightweight and can be popped up in the living room/spare bedroom/garage.

I don't really understand the end-times beliefs. Let's say that there is a God, and that he created this world, and then sent his only begotten son down to hang out and be prophetic for a few years, knowing that his son (even though he considers all people sons and daughters) will die a horribly painful death. Then he resurrects his son so his son can have another month or so on earth, before flying off to heaven. The son tells us that when he comes back, there will be all these horrible things that happen.

After all this work creating Earth and the galaxy and the stars, God decides that he's had enough and wants to cast judgement. But he knows that this will happen because he's omnipotent and decides to play a game with us by leaving clues and sending prophets? Why would he do that, and couldn't he stop it if he's all powerful?

As for people who prep for "the end times" - wouldn't they be much happier not prepping? If they are so devout, then they believe that if they die early during the tribulation/rapture even, then that's just more time to spend with Jesus and his friends, right? If heaven is the ultimate goal, why bother prepping to stay on earth?

And if you believe that these horrible things are going to happen, why do you keep bringing more and more kids into the world? So they can die a horribly painful death? Makes no sense to me.

I have an irrational hatred of yurts. I don't know why. Years ago I was in one and I just wanted to start punching it. Seriously fucking hate them. I've been in round houses, round or round-ish tents, even a geodesic dome and it never occurred to me to start pounding them, so I don't think it's the shape. Yurts? Gimme a match. :angry-fire:

Maybe someone could psychoanalyze me and get to the root of my hatred. :ugeek:

I have an irrational hatred of yurts. I don't know why. Years ago I was in one and I just wanted to start punching it. Seriously fucking hate them. I've been in round houses, round or round-ish tents, even a geodesic dome and it never occurred to me to start pounding them, so I don't think it's the shape. Yurts? Gimme a match. :angry-fire:

Maybe someone could psychoanalyze me and get to the root of my hatred. :ugeek:

Do you tent camp ever?

Do you tent camp ever?

Oh, yeah. I haven't in a while, but I like camping. One thing though, the tent has to be big enough. For two people I want a four-person tent.

Sounds like a sparkling adventure.

Sadly, the details of living on 2 acres in NE that her MIL purchased and they pay her but she put their names in the deed, along with the number of children...............

I'm pretty sure that's a friend of mine posting. Or, she was a friend. I've distanced myself over the years as she's gone more and more off the deep end, imo. I think it would be an awful big coincidence if it's not her. Those details are far too unusual and specific.

I'm pretty sure that's a friend of mine posting.

I think her husband's name is Steve.

Actually another form of a yurt is a Ger, the Mongolian house for their nomadic people.

I've seen how fast they set them up and break them down. They often have over 10 people living in them, and carry furniture and all their shit around on the backs of camels. CAMELS!!! Like five camels can carry a huge yurt (with a huge wood pole frame!) and a woodstove, a bureau, rugs, beds, etc, etc.

Nursenell, WI is a great place for a yurt. They withstand our weather quite easily- our winds and winters are tame next to Mongolia.

Sadly, the details of living on 2 acres in NE that her MIL purchased and they pay her but she put their names in the deed, along with the number of children...............

I'm pretty sure that's a friend of mine posting. Or, she was a friend. I've distanced myself over the years as she's gone more and more off the deep end, imo. I think it would be an awful big coincidence if it's not her. Those details are far too unusual and specific.

She's listed the specific ages of the kids now, and that she's supposedly following a "Biblical timeline. "

All I can remember is that Jesus said that we aren't supposed to worry about or prepare for the end times, just deal with them when they happen.

My friends have a yurt. They are currently living in it because they weren't able to get the house... I think finances are also an issue for them. But this couple has no children, so there's that. Plus the yurt is on the husband's mother's property, so it's safe.

And you're right wolfie. There's a verse that says something along the lines of, "if you're out in the field, do not go back to your house to get your coat." I believe the only way the bible tells us to prepare for the end times is by way of character building.

Archived