IGNORED

Anti-Semitic Leader Finds Out He's Jewish

Visionoyahweh

My grandfather was in a concentration camp, and I volunteered at the memorial as a guide for a while. When people heard that I was the granddaughter of a camp inmate, they naturally assumed I was Jewish. I was told that they'd been able to tell right away because of my big nose All. The. Time. There's a Jewish ancestor on my family tree, but that was 300 years ago and I doubt I share a whole lot of DNA with him. And maybe he had a tiny nose! The confusion when I told people that I'm not Jewish was always interesting.

These days, the only person who can tell me about my big, Yiddishe nose without getting an eyeroll is a good friend's Jewish grandmother who's still trying to convince me to marry her grandson. I would, just to have her in my family. Unfortunately, her grandson is gay.

My boyfriend and I are friends with a Jewish couple and both of them constantly get the "You don't look Jewish" comments.

I was raised Jewish (Jewish on my mother's side, Italian from my father); I have a remarkable nose and I get a lot of comments about looking Jewish. My best friend at my previous school had a running joke with me where she teased me for being Jewish. We both knew it was a joke (we're like siblings) but other people didn't. One mutual friend was under the impression that we passionately despised each other. Other kids started getting in on the joke, too, which wasn't as funny because some of them were pretty nasty about it. A pair of underclassmen I scarcely knew threw a metal washer at my feet and told me that I should want to pick it up because I was a Jew. It wasn't even a real coin! It was bizarre.

I did not inherit my dad's nose, but I look very much like his very Jewish (as in Ashkenazi) mother. I look like what some people think when they think somebody "looks Jewish" -- olive-toned skin, dark hair, dark eyes. It never even occurred to me as a kid that "looking Jewish" was a bad thing because, well, look at the Jewish side of my family and boy do I look like them. Now I see where it can be anywhere between silly and offensive, but I fit the "type" people are probably thinking of when they mention it. It'd be stupid of me to deny that, though I don't understand why in this day and age anybody gives a shit in a negative way.

Furthermore many of the restrictions placed on the Jews after the diaspora countries set them up to become financially successful. Unfortunately since the European Christians who had restricted the trades Jews could participate in, considered the trades Jews could participate in dirty it just furthered the issue.

Here was a group of people who not only refused the true god, killed Jesus, but now they did such disgusting things as money lending and dentistry and became good and made money at it. It just proved they were a dirty group of people.

Not only do I get the "how can you be red headed and a Jew!" thing a lot, but people seem confused I don't know Yiddish and that my Hungarian grandparents didn't either. While Jews are a group, we do have culturual differences amongst us and having Hungarian gparents of sephardic descent means our Jewishness doesn't always look like what the American view of Jewishness did.

Plus my parents aren't praciticng, they sort of just made up their own faith so my cultural ties have always gone back an extra generation to the grandparents who raised me in my later years. So I fumble and don't get all the stuff right which means I get asked "are you really a Jew?" to which I say, culturally in many ways yes, but I don't practice the laws or rules of the faith.

Archived