IGNORED

Does "family camping trip" = "we are now homeless"? (merged)

Koala

I agree that one or 2 of the comments was over the top. That said, I don't think FJ can be put in the position of helping a homeless, mentally unstable couple that none of us know IRL. No one here is qualified for that, and even if they were I don't think Brandy is necessarily going to have a light bulb moment and suddenly listen to reason...her problems go much deeper than that. If she gleans anything from FJ it will be that she needs to seek help. That help will not be found here. JMO.

I think you're probably right, but I just worry so much about them. There is clearly something very wrong, and she is totally in denial about it.

I guess I'll just say my piece here, then - Brandy, please find a counselor of some kind. A psychologist, a social worker, a therapist, whatever. Find someone who will help you to talk through all the stuff you have tried dealing with on your own for years. A counselor is not going to brainwash you or make you believe stuff you don't already believe. Their job is to help you uncover what is actually you, and what isn't. They listen.

Here's a guide to finding free or low-cost care:

http://captainawkward.com/2011/09/22/ho ... uest-post/

And here's where you might find some services in NH:

http://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dcbcs/bbh/centers.htm

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a pity that Brandy vanished, again, before we could learn a bit more about their sparkling eclectic living situation. Just how many folks are jammed into that house? I can't imagine it comfortable considering all the emotional tension plus the inclusion of 4 more people. I should think she and Jason and the girls all sleep in a pile somewhere without beds, using their old 'camping' bedding. Not to mention the cats in the garage.

I did not get to read the blog. Was she not getting along with Jason's family?

It's a pipe dream that she would send the kids to public schools. She defines herself as a homeschooler. If she sent the kids to a public school, she'd have to get herself and the kids up in the morning instead of just bumming around all day. And someone might suggest that she get a job. Oh the horror!

Well that's a surprise, not. She'll be back soon, opening another blog and starting a new phase in her life which of course will the 'right' one and one that she's be missing all her life.

Until the next flip flop.

Brandy, get some help.

Proving yet again that they have not changed, will not change, have no plans to learn or grow; they only plan to bide their time and use his family (and the family's money) to have a home and food...for now.

Next time we hear from her, they'll be on their own again, bitching about how awful his family treated them and how persecuted they were.

It's a pipe dream that she would send the kids to public schools. She defines herself as a homeschooler. If she sent the kids to a public school, she'd have to get herself and the kids up in the morning instead of just bumming around all day. And someone might suggest that she get a job. Oh the horror!

I think you are onto something there.

When she is insisting on homeschooling, she can be the poor, poor victim of circumstance and let her children live in dire poverty while getting patted on the head by other homeschoolers. Sane people might raise an eyebrow, but no one is calling her lazy.

As soon as she sends the children to school, she will have to actually do something. Heaven forbid.

Yes, I suspect that's also why she is giving up the whole "unschooling" routine. I doubt Jason's family would take very kindly to Brandy fucking around on the internet all day while her children roamed about the house with no routine or structure. Here's the problem though. In theory it's probably very easy for Brandy to be all gung ho about schooling her children for several hours each day, but when the rubber meets the road there is no.way.in.hell she is going to do it. I predict that is when things will really go all to hell with his family. What they'll do after that I can't even begin to imagine.

Yes, I suspect that's also why she is giving up the whole "unschooling" routine. I doubt Jason's family would take very kindly to Brandy fucking around on the internet all day while her children roamed about the house with no routine or structure. Here's the problem though. In theory it's probably very easy for Brandy to be all gung ho about schooling her children for several hours each day, but when the rubber meets the road there is no.way.in.hell she is going to do it. I predict that is when things will really go all to hell with his family. What they'll do after that I can't even begin to imagine.

I was reading somewhere the other day that NH have tests that homeschoolers have to put their kids in each year to ensure that the kids are on track. If that is the case, then I'd like to bet Brandy is giving up the unschooling because she knows Gabriella has learned bugger all this last year.

I was reading somewhere the other day that NH have tests that homeschoolers have to put their kids in each year to ensure that the kids are on track. If that is the case, then I'd like to bet Brandy is giving up the unschooling because she knows Gabriella has learned bugger all this last year.

Yea this is a site from home school advocates in NH with links to the law. Apparently there is a lot of wiggle room with regards to evaluations.

http://nhhomeschooling.org/law

That's the one. Still think that's the reason why she's given up homeschooling though. What with evaluations and Jason's family, she needs to keep up the appearance that she knows what she's doing.

I was doing some stalking googling earlier; blimey Jason is as bad as she is. He seems to have been posting on various writers forums for ages about writing a book (I know Brandy called him 'the Novelist' LOL) yet doesn't seem to have started! Seems to me that Jason also has very grand ideas about his abilities.

I hope her blogging free time will be time for her and Jason to get help and get back on their feet unless she comes back with a new reincarnation of herself and her "religious" beliefs. It's like a non stop cycle.

Already mentioned in the Brandy/homeless thread. I'll merge.

She can't send the kids to public school. I live in one of the slackest states in the US and I can promise the guidance counselor at my kids' school would call me, and DSS, within a heartbeat should they ever resemble her children.

I recently (thanks to FJ) discovered that I unschool the boys. It's otherwise known as paying attention and interacting with my wild children. Glad I have a name to put on all that time I spend every night with them. Hell I thought I was just raising the kids.

My kinder side hopes that Brandy and her husband will recognize they are not being rational, and get the counseling and medication (if need be) that will help.

My snarkier side would like to see Brandy and Lauren Fisher locked in a room together to exchange fantasies, while their children are being healed and raised by wonderful new families.

I can promise the guidance counselor at my kids' school would call me, and DSS, within a heartbeat should they ever resemble her children.

In what way? Do they show physical signs of neglect, or are you talking about behaviours discernible through the blog?

**Damn it all you guys got me again** Wonder when she'll make her reappearance? Surely she'll reinvent herself here shortly. It's been like an entire week!

I've got a feeling the shit has already hit the fan with Jason's family.

Me too. I would do anything for my kids, but I am telling you what, about the second time I passed her lazy ass sitting on the sofa doing nothing all day, my head would explode. I would let them stay no matter what (because I couldn't put my own child/grandchildren on the streets) but you'd better believe I'd make Brandy's life a living hell until she felt motivated to put those kids in a proper school and get an effing job.

Me too. I would do anything for my kids, but I am telling you what, about the second time I passed her lazy ass sitting on the sofa doing nothing all day, my head would explode. I would let them stay no matter what (because I couldn't put my own child/grandchildren on the streets) but you'd better believe I'd make Brandy's life a living hell until she felt motivated to put those kids in a proper school and get an effing job.

Agreed. I have one sibling who is extremely capable but messed up, and worse still, she downright refuses to get it together. She's part of a fundy cult of street preachers for whom "the lord will provide," except, of course, when he doesn't. I've taken a couple of turns helping her out, but the last time (2 years ago), I told her that unless she took steps toward accountability for her own well being--translation, get a friggin' job already and stay off the DC streets after midnight--the buck stops here. I love her dearly but refuse to continue enabling this rubbish. Wonder how similar Brandy & Jason's situation is. The family has helped them before, even recently, didn't they send them $200 to get on the road? I wonder if they're thinking things like "Yes, we love you, but No, we will not support your laziness or the educational neglect of our grandchildren/neices." Given the family already know B&J pretty well, my guess is these kinds of conversations happened pretty quickly after they arrived. Life's probably stressful for B&J right now, as they sponge off disapproving family. My guess is the family won't throw them out though...there's children involved.

If I recall correctly, the last time they stay with Jason's family (they used to live in Vermont at that time), everybody in the family - unless Brandy, of course :D - was working outside of the home, even his mother. I think his younger sister was in college... So, they must really be pissed off by Brandy's laziness who fully takes advantages of living in their home but do nothing to help :?

I also think Brandy had to babysit a young child a few hours a day at some point, but it didn't last long...

Archived