IGNORED

Does "family camping trip" = "we are now homeless"? (merged)

Koala

I believe ND was discounted early in the game by B&J because of housing costs. I do not have any idea what the economy is like in NH nor a clue to which area they will live. Without a degree or some kind of technical training it's likely that Jason will continue to be underemployed. As long as Brandy continues her eclectic diva status as a SAHM the family will be in need.

Brandy has had a great many negative things to say about Jason's family of origin. I cannot think that living with them is a good idea.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Jason isn't work-shy, they should look into North Dakota. The oil boom there is still in effect and they can't get enough workers for any jobs. Fast food joints are paying $15 an hour so even if Jason couldn't get a job in the actual oil industry (serious bank if he could - some of them are making $80K a year entry level), given the standard of living they've had, he could keep them afloat slinging burgers.

I have no idea why anyone would think Moscow, Idaho would be an ideal place to settle. It's a nice enough place but it's always been a small, college town and a fast look online shows that the median household income there is around $28K. Bearing in mind the number of college professionals who work at the two colleges in town and probably make in the $40-$60K range annually, that means the rest of the jobs there must really be low paying.

I can't help but wonder what it was that made them think Moscow was the place to be. I would love to have been a fly on the tent wall during that conversation.

I have relatives in Moscow and it is comparatively affordable. It is a cute little town, although not as cute as Pullman, WA which is about 10 minutes away. The median income is low because there are so many grad student families with zero income, but it is a pretty middle class place. You could live nicely on a pretty low income.

The problem is jobs. There are tons of grad students with BA/BS's willing to do the minimum wage jobs, so how will Brandi and Jason compete? He would have to do day labor in the nearby farms, which is not very pleasant and not as abundant as in other places in the Northwest.

She's blaming her husband's possible background of mental illness for her whole-heartedly jumping into the latest "fad" (head covering, veganism, dreads)? I think she needs to do some self examination.

If Jason isn't work-shy, they should look into North Dakota. The oil boom there is still in effect and they can't get enough workers for any jobs. Fast food joints are paying $15 an hour so even if Jason couldn't get a job in the actual oil industry (serious bank if he could - some of them are making $80K a year entry level), given the standard of living they've had, he could keep them afloat slinging burgers.

I have no idea why anyone would think Moscow, Idaho would be an ideal place to settle. It's a nice enough place but it's always been a small, college town and a fast look online shows that the median household income there is around $28K. Bearing in mind the number of college professionals who work at the two colleges in town and probably make in the $40-$60K range annually, that means the rest of the jobs there must really be low paying.

I can't help but wonder what it was that made them think Moscow was the place to be. I would love to have been a fly on the tent wall during that conversation.

Doug Wilson and Friends?

I've enjoyed Moscow the few times I've been there. A bit smaller than the college town I inhabit, but it has it's charm. I've known grad students that went there and they had positive experiences.

Having just returned from North Dakota, I do not agree. Jason could make $100K/year there, yes, but there is nowhere to live. The motels are booked in perpetuity, apartments are all rented at 10 times the previous price, and people are living in their cars. This is not a good idea from October-May, as temperatures can and do regularly hover in the -30F range. This is NOT a good place for two young children and a crazy woman, even if Jason were able to handle the work. I have family that lives in Williston, and they hate it now. There's little to buy at the few stores, new ones aren't going up, McDonald's is only a drive-through because they can't get anyone to work, there are people everywhere, there's a lot of drinking, prostitution and drugs, and there aren't enough classrooms to house all the kids at the schools. Some people are making money hand over fist, yes, but it's not worth the living conditions. It's dangerous at best.

Having just returned from North Dakota, I do not agree. Jason could make $100K/year there, yes, but there is nowhere to live. The motels are booked in perpetuity, apartments are all rented at 10 times the previous price, and people are living in their cars. This is not a good idea from October-May, as temperatures can and do regularly hover in the -30F range. This is NOT a good place for two young children and a crazy woman, even if Jason were able to handle the work. I have family that lives in Williston, and they hate it now. There's little to buy at the few stores, new ones aren't going up, McDonald's is only a drive-through because they can't get anyone to work, there are people everywhere, there's a lot of drinking, prostitution and drugs, and there aren't enough classrooms to house all the kids at the schools. Some people are making money hand over fist, yes, but it's not worth the living conditions. It's dangerous at best.

Boom town culture, it was the same decades ago in Alaska.

The oil company or companies need to lend a hand to put up some temporary or affordable housing. They are making a tremendous amount of money off the boom and need to help stablize things. You probably have to be a young single guy willing to live in a camper to take advantage of the boom. If you can find a hook up. Not sure I'd want to be in a camper in a ND winter, though. Just thinking out loud here. Maybe the way to do it is to try to attend college there and live in the dorms.

I haven't read Brandy long enough to understand all of her family dynamics. I appreciate the fact that at least his biological family answered the phone when they called for help, and seem willing to help them. It doesn't seem like things ever end well with B+J and the extended family from what I understand. What's his biological family like? Are they decent folks?

You know, I hadn't thought of the horrible downsides to boomtowns. I just remembered the dozens of news stories I heard about how North Dakota simply could not get enough workers and the extraordinary wages people were earning. Resource scarcity and housing didn't enter into and with the various downsides in mind, it probably isn't a good idea to raise kids there. If half of what he earned went into overpriced housing and it's dangerous, what difference do high wages make? :( Mea culpa.

Some families are doing the traditional boomtown thing where Daddy goes and works and Mommy stays with the grandparents & kids, though.

He might not be qualified for the work, though, either. My partner is just about too old, even though he's in excellent shape, and he'd have to train in if they'd even hire him to work the sands.

Some families are doing the traditional boomtown thing where Daddy goes and works and Mommy stays with the grandparents & kids, though.

He might not be qualified for the work, though, either. My partner is just about too old, even though he's in excellent shape, and he'd have to train in if they'd even hire him to work the sands.

I think that 'the writer' is a bit too soft for the rough and ready life of a boomtown, no less dealing with authority figures.

Well, there's a surprise. It's not going so well with Jason's family, but they're planning on settling in for a while anyway.

On a brighter note, Jason is getting help for his problems. Raise your hand if you think that perhaps the one that needs the help the most won't be getting it. (looking at you Brandy).

It really bothers me that she's putting all of this off on him. I have no doubt that he needs help too, but to say that he's the one who needs the help because he allowed her to go off on these crazy assed tangents is asinine. They both need help, but if there was only so much to go around, my vote would be on Brandy.

Memo to Brandy: if you let your (until now, indoor?) cats "explore the area" in rural New England, it's not necessarily a good thing that other diseased cats are wandering around. If the diseases don't get them, the cars or wildlife will. I see this in my area plenty and my friends' "exploring" cats have a ridiculously high mortality rate. If you can't stomach finding them dead, mangled, and partially eaten on the lawn one day, leave them on the garage.

On a further note, Brandy needs to check out those counseling services, too.

I know. I feel so sorry for those cats. And kids. And the people who now have to house and support the family of 4. Pretty much everyone associated with that mess.

You know, I hadn't thought of the horrible downsides to boomtowns. I just remembered the dozens of news stories I heard about how North Dakota simply could not get enough workers and the extraordinary wages people were earning. Resource scarcity and housing didn't enter into and with the various downsides in mind, it probably isn't a good idea to raise kids there. If half of what he earned went into overpriced housing and it's dangerous, what difference do high wages make? :( Mea culpa.

North Dakota is a hot mess right now. I have to tell everyone this at every opportunity. There is absolutely no housing. My husband works there during the week, we are lucky to have an old trailer that has been there for decades, and only comes home (400 miles) on the weekend. It's a lousy place to raise kids. There. I will get off my soapbox, but few things make me sadder than to see what has happened to a state where I lived for 15 years and loved dearly. They are even starting to drill in the national parks. Also, people truly. TRULY do not realize when they show up and think it's a-ok to live in their cars, or camp in the Cenex parking lot, how really really fucking cold it is in the winter. My shout out to chronically unemployed people is to stay home.

Maybe I'm delusional, but I think even if it is rough with Jason's family, it's good for them to be in the area. Maybe after a few months they can rent a place in the area, and continue to repair their family relationships.

People need a support network. If you have troubles, it's good to be near family, especially when you have children.

Brandy, I agree that in addition to Jason getting some help, you could use some as well. Not because you're wrong or bad, but because everyone needs help at some point, and because you and your children deserve to have a healthy Brandy.

Here is a good book that teaches about dealing with stress, strong emotions, and volatile relationships. It actually gives you steps and actions you can take - www.amazon.com/Dialectical-Behavior-The ... 572245131/

Hi, Brandy! Glad to see you made it to New Hampshire!

How lucky for you that your husband's family sucked it up and took you in again. Now, here's a thought: get the fuck out of that house for a couple hours and GO GET SOME MENTAL HELP.

Get over your moronic ideals that Jeebus is going to cure your clearly serious depression. He's not. If you're too chicken-shit to do it for yourself, go do it for your kids, for fuck's sake.

NONE of this is ever going to improve for the long run until you do that. NOTHING WILL CHANGE. If you don't do it soon, you'll be back to your fucking ridiculous lifestyle swings: "I'm a vegan" "Nope, guess not! I'm gonna eat junk food and drink beer!" "Jesus tells me how to live my life in all ways!" "No, just kidding, I've found the truth, and he doesn't care if I watch Twilight after all!"

I'm going to point this out one more time to you, since you seem to be a little dense around the subject. YOU ARE CAUSING WHAT IS SOON TO BE (IF NOT ALREADY) IRREPARABLE DAMAGE TO YOUR CHILDREN. Apparently your memory is real short in that regard, given what you've shared about your upbringing.

'Nuff said.

I still think her Jesus "cured" thyroid problem is a major factor in her manic behavior. I don't care what she says, that shit doesn't just go away.

did she seriously credit Jesus with curing a real live medical issue?

I believe she said God miraculously cured her thyroid problem in her old blog.

Her complete lifestyle rehauls are pretty indicative of bipolar disorder to me. It also explains her cyclic depression. Im not a psychiatrist but i have bipolar disorder myself.

I should note that there are some "man camps", which are temporary buildings where men can rent a room. They have strict rules and are all full--they can't build them fast enough. They are not for families. They are about as nice as a camp dorm, in plywood and metal siding. I don't know if it's the oil companies or private companies that run them, but they are strictly monitored--no drinking, no women, etc.

One of my family members just bought her neighbor's house. Neighbors are moving out (retired--no one stays after retirement any more), and they offered it to her before listing it. She bought it for her MIL, and is fixing it up so she can move in since she's in her 80's and really shouldn't be living on the farm any more. They could have sold it for much above the appraisal, but they did the kind thing and gave her appraisal value on it. She would have bought it even if her MIL hadn't wanted it--she says they have to try to protect their neighborhood. I don't blame her one bit.

She is hoping to move to her hometown 2.5 hours away, at some point, maybe when her husband retires. (They are in their 40's.) They have no desire to stay in that town, especially since the boom isn't predicted to end any time soon.

Well, it's official. They are homeschooling (if you could call it that) again this year.

The homeschool laws here in New Hampshire are fairly easy-going. I need to send the local superintendent a letter notifying him that we are homeschooling Gabriella {and when Hannah's of age, I'll do the same for her}. I'll be printing up a sample letter I found that has a spot for the superintendent to sign and send back to me, for our records. Just the once, not yearly. Then we just do our thang.

I'm not entirely sure we'll go the unschooling route this year. Honestly, none of us felt enough was done. Even Gabriella. Far too often, she was confused about what she should do next.

Language/spelling/writing will come naturally through stories and poems she writes and books she reads. We have a TON of books for her to read to cover reading.

And then there's the comments. Oh dear god the comments. Suffice to say that she wrote the following 3 times:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

She sounds like she's in the midst of a manic episode or on the cusp on a nervous break down.

And then she addresses her weight loss (which I agree has little to do w/ anything, but she addressed it anyway, so whatever):

What does weight have to do with being a good example to my children? Not as if it's anyone's business, but I *am* losing weight. I'm down 30lbs already.

Umm, for those of you who are interested, she lost those 30lbs. on the "homeless and we have no food" diet. She mentions it specifically in her "This family was homeless" post.

You know, it must really grate Jason's family to see them move in and expect to be financially supported while Brandy sits on her ass in their home. I can't even... How on earth can she not realize that she needs to get a job and help support their family. Jason is not going to be able to hack it on his own. God what a mess.

*side note* I am not commenting on Brandy's blog.

Archived