I love my LARGE FAMILY - "Yes, they're all mine!"

homeschoolmomma1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That page is just asking for fakers.

@homeschoolmomma1, the seach never works for me :(

• 4 months later...

I found a solution for mothers of toddlers. I don't know if it's better or worse than blanket training, but it has almost a 'Brave New World' air about it.

I had 7 under 7 years- 5 of my own and 2 foster kids, who had no sense of structure when they came to live with us. We too had bought a fixer-upper and are still* remodeling. So, I understand where you are coming from... A few things that helped me: buy some large plastic storage boxes (one for each of the smaller kids- 23 mo, 3, and 4) and put the kids in them, put lid on top, haha, jut kidding. Leave the lids off, put kids in boxes, and give them things to play with that typically they wouldn't get to, like a bowl of water with spoons, measuring cups, etc.; string beads for necklaces, dirt and trucks, old magazines and kid scissors, shaving cream, rice or beans, finger paint, etc. For the baby, a set of nesting bowls and spoons, pots and pans, edible stuff to play in, like a bowl of mini marshmallows and measuring cups, or pudding for finger paint. For the kids, this is pure heaven! They think they are being rewarded and when I say, "Box time!" they run with smiles! They beg to play in their special boxes. For me, I get 45 min or more at a time that all kids are contained in one place, in their own area so no fighting, and all of the mess is contained. Even the biggest messes can be cleaned up by putting a kid in the bath tub and using the shower or hose to rinse out a plastic box. So worth 45 min of peace and quiet! Plus, it's developmentally appropriate and promotes brain development, as well as meeting the kids sensory needs which calms them (I am a pediatric physical therapist). ...

Ok so I'm not a pediatric physical therapist (wtf does that have to do with her position?), but I do find this more than odd and perhaps not very safe.

I think the average child would love that, my siblings could spend hours playing in a box at that age.

I guess you could do the same thing with putting them in a playpen, so its better than blanket training.

Its rather odd though...

I think the average child would love that, my siblings could spend hours playing in a box at that age.

I guess you could do the same thing with putting them in a playpen, so its better than blanket training.

Its rather odd though...

I think kids enjoy cardboard boxes. But she is using plastic bins as a means of restricting the movement, preventing the kids from exploring their home. I submit if you have so many children they must be installed in bins so that you can have a moments peace you should also be consulting a physician about birth control and stop considering more foster children.

ETA: If a mod is reading here please feel free to merge the Large Families FB threads.

I dont see the need for using them for a 3 and 4 year old though, I can see putting a baby in a playpen for a bit while you go and do something, but surely a 3 and 4 year old can play unsupervised in their bedroom for a bit if mom needs some peace.

45 minutes or more seems a bit much though, especially for a kid who is nearly 2.

Oh, hey. Check out the one who's husband is having an affair.

It may well be fake train wreck, but it's an entertaining fake train wreck.

One of my FB friends, who is an AP mom and totally non-fundie, uses sensory bins for her daughter. She'll fill them with sand of different textures, random pebbles or shells, tinsel or packing materials, etc. but-key point here-she doesn't put the child INSIDE the box. The box is just to hold the sensory items. I mean, it's probably not that big of a deal, but you'd have to get a pretty large box for a 4yo to fit in it, with toys, and feel comfortable sitting in for nearly an hour :? I'm also not sure that it would work as a passive restraint for a determined child unless there's some Pearl-esque training going along with it. Surely the child could climb out of the box or tip it over and get out if they wanted to?

I have to say I think the idea of messy play in a contained space sounds quite fun - I do understand the appeal of it both for the kids and for a mum like me who wants to encourage creative play but is a bit of neat freak. The bit that worries me is the idea that this is unsupervised play to give mum a bit of peace and quiet. Even if my kids at toddler age were 'contained' (and there is no way you would have got either of my kids to stay in a box for more than 5 mins), there is no way I would leave them alone with water or food to play with. I've always tried to do as much of this sort of thing outside so the mess problem isn't an issue.

I have to say I think the idea of messy play in a contained space sounds quite fun - I do understand the appeal of it both for the kids and for a mum like me who wants to encourage creative play but is a bit of neat freak. The bit that worries me is the idea that this is unsupervised play to give mum a bit of peace and quiet. Even if my kids at toddler age were 'contained' (and there is no way you would have got either of my kids to stay in a box for more than 5 mins), there is no way I would leave them alone with water or food to play with. I've always tried to do as much of this sort of thing outside so the mess problem isn't an issue.

I really don't think a plastic bin gives a child room enough to play. I just measured one I have here, it's 11" deep, 22long by 14" wide. A dog crate would be more spacious. But it's not about the kids, it's about a Mom who obviously has more kids than she can cope with.

I really don't think a plastic bin gives a child room enough to play. I just measured one I have here, it's 11" deep, 22long by 14" wide. A dog crate would be more spacious. But it's not about the kids, it's about a Mom who obviously has more kids than she can cope with.

Exactly. One of the many things I found difficult about having very young children was the mess everywhere and their constant need for attention. But as I knew I wouldn't be able to cope with more than 2 kids, I didn't have any more. Simple.

There are some that are about 24"x36"x24" tall, still too small in my opinion, but if she feels like she MUST do that, I hope she's using that size.

It's official we have decided to expand our family, we r trying for child #7 and since we already have six sons we r trying for a gurl...i am hoping with the assistance of the Chinese gender chart..we will be successful...first step ..get the mirera removed...

Really? This sounds fake.

I think I was the first one to post about this on FJ, a college friend of mine posts on it sometimes.

That page is a wealth of snark.

As the eldest of Ann xxx 7 children, I always felt that no matter how many siblings I had, I knew that I alway had that one-on-one time with each of my parents! It was always the HIGHLIGHT of my week when it was my turn to have alone time with either my Ma or my Daddy!!!!

So this woman's mother had less time with her than most folks spend with the family pet on a weekly basis. Naturally it would be the highlight of her week as a child.

I don't think it's fake. I have three friends on that FB group and I know that not only are they all large families but none of them are faking.

I HATE how so-called Christians handle affairs and divorce. Their own religious texts is VERY clear that adultery is the ONE thing that gives Christians a do not pass go OUT to a marriage. Even abused spouses don't get that leeway but being married to a cheater does. Yet I have never seen Christians just say leave the cheaters ass and move on with life. Oh no! It's ALL about making the marriage work at ALL COSTS, even with a serial cheater!

Noooooo 1 of them believes in the Pearl way and linked it. On the one that said about the boxes.

This is from the poor cheated-on wife

I never went to school so I have no skills

And this is why it is such a bad idea to not get an education but get married and have a bajillion kids right away and expect everything to be hunky-dory

I could see the bins working for little kids for messy play, or as she stated, for toys they don't usually get to play with. As long as they were very large bins, and the idea wasn't that they HAD to play in them. But as a distraction and a bit of private time away from their siblings it would seem like something a lot of little kids would enjoy. Kind of like an easy to clean private fort.

I think it would be especially appealing to siblings so close in age who are usually playing together all day and bickering over toys.

Archived