IGNORED

'Breaking Amish" - New TLC Show

Buzzard

TLC is now all about shock value. Reality TV shocks (supposedly). I guess I'm supposed to care out babies all the time, crazy fundies, and people who make cakes. Yay.

I can't remember the last time TLC had something educational, worth learning about.

Oh God. It's such a good thing I dropped cable. I dont know how I could resist this one. I'm serious. I cant stop myself from watching all this stuff. I'm sickly fascinated by these fundamentalist type religions. Even if the reality part of the "reality tv" isnt really that real. Still...

TLC is now all about shock value. Reality TV shocks (supposedly).

^ This. I was sick the other night and girlfriend thought it would be funny to watch what WAS listed as Craft Wars but turned out to be the gastric bypass, death, and funeral of a 900 pound woman. It was around that time that I realized TLC is just a modern-day sideshow of "freaks." Obese people, people with horrible deformities, people who can pop out eleventy billion kids, etc. The Hensel conjoined twins are getting a show now, which is disappointing because I always thought they seemed like really nice kids. I hoped they wouldn't be sucked into TLC's circus.

The Hensel conjoined twins are getting a show now, which is disappointing because I always thought they seemed like really nice kids.

That is dreadfully disappointing to me to hear. I thought that their family had the sense to avoid that kind of side show type thing.

Well, if TLC is willing to do a show on the Amish leaving their faith, maybe in a year or two they'll do a series on young adults who decide to leave the Quiverull/Fundamentalist Baptist lifestyles like the oldest Duggar, Bates, and Keller children. I'd be willing to bet some of them would gladly agree to a contract of their own, in order to get out of their houses and away from their families, and make their own money. When the ratings for the Duggars and Bates tank and their series are cancelled, TLC can continue on with the next generation.

I live in Amish country, and sometimes work with Amish girls. In the back of my mind, I always think about whispering "If you want out, you can always stay at my house for a bit !" to them. I will certainly be watching this show. Thanks for the heads up.

I think TLC is sort of ripping off NatGeo's show Amish:Out of Order. I agree with another poster, TLC is now about a shock value. On the topic of the Hensel twins' reality show, I found this article http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... -1.1132466

I get the vibe than Hensel twins might need some money and that is why they are doing the reality show. Part of the show will be about them trying to find a job. I have to admit, I'm a bit curious to see how that process works for them.

I think TLC is sort of ripping off NatGeo's show Amish:Out of Order. I agree with another poster, TLC is now about a shock value. On the topic of the Hensel twins' reality show, I found this article http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... -1.1132466

I get the vibe than Hensel twins might need some money and that is why they are doing the reality show. Part of the show will be about them trying to find a job. I have to admit, I'm a bit curious to see how that process works for them.

In the case of the Hensel twins, they are 22 years old, and definitely adults. It's not like their parents are whoring them out *cough*Gosselins*cough*Duggars*cough*Bateses.

But I wonder, do they get one paycheck or two? Probably depends on whether or not they have one Social Security number or two. It looks like they have one drivers license. I can't even imagine driving, with one twin steering and the other braking. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I think it's the money, too. And, granted, if I had the kind of life that could get me a regular television gig and all the cash that followed, I can't say what I'd do (aside to any TV producers reading: do you need a reality TV about an average-looking, broke student who likes reading things on the internet and sleeping? I'm available). But damn, it just feels so exploitative.

TLC=The Lowliest Crap

I too am so glad that I dropped cable. With the exception of Kathy Griffin specials, I don't miss it at all.

Did anyone catch the news item where the Hutterites got pissed at NatGeo for misrepresenting them?

In the case of the Hensel twins, they are 22 years old, and definitely adults. It's not like their parents are whoring them out *cough*Gosselins*cough*Duggars*cough*Bateses.

But I wonder, do they get one paycheck or two? Probably depends on whether or not they have one Social Security number or two. It looks like they have one drivers license. I can't even imagine driving, with one twin steering and the other braking. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I watched the documentary that was filmed when they turned 16 and I worried when I saw them driving. I think probably have their own SS numbers. I don't think the Hensel parents are whoring their daughters out, but I wouldn't be surprised if the girls decided having a reality show would provide them some quick cash while they try to figure things out regarding their career.

TLC will probably pay them as a "family" as they try to do for most of their shows. The article says that they each have their own driver's license and that makes sense although who would get the ticket if pulled over? If they each had a birth certificate which I assume that they did with different names, then they'll each have a separate SSN.

I'm saddened but at least they are adults and are making their own decision.

TLC will probably pay them as a "family" as they try to do for most of their shows. The article says that they each have their own driver's license and that makes sense although who would get the ticket if pulled over? If they each had a birth certificate which I assume that they did with different names, then they'll each have a separate SSN.

I agree with that part. In a way, I'm looking forward to the Hensel reality show, I can see the Hensels getting some increased popularity and that would piss off some of the Duggar leghumpers. I can see people online saying stuff like, "I find Abby and Brittany so inspiring" and if Michelle Duggar finds out about that, she would cry. There are leghumpers who've said stuff that they find the Duggar kids inspiring. I find the Hensel girls more inspiring than the Duggar girls. The Hensel girls are touch with the real world unlike Jana Duggar who is the same age as them. The girls choose their own friends, unlike Jana and the other J'Slaves. I get the feeling that TLC will be cleaning house a bit soon. I think the Duggars' TV days are numbered and the network has to know the ratings have declined and they also know that the Duggars have lost fans. My guess is that TLC will use the Bates show as a way of gauging whether they should continue with shows focusing on people with large families.

I also wonder if Josh Duggar or the Duggar leghumpers are pissed about the Long Island Medium getting a commercial deal. The Hensel girls graduated from a Christian college, it would be funny if they got speaking gigs at various churches or Christian organizations. I could see Mullet getting jealous.

I don't see what's so terrible about this show if it provides them with a way to explore getting out. How is it worse than what Channel 4 did? It seems this thread is a little sanctimonious considering this isn't exactly a new concept.

I don't see what's so terrible about this show if it provides them with a way to explore getting out. How is it worse than what Channel 4 did? It seems this thread is a little sanctimonious considering this isn't exactly a new concept.

I have seen that Channel 4 documentary and I liked it. I do worry a bit when TLC does reality shows because they do shady stuff with several of their shows.

I thought that maybe they would be doing so because they wanted to travel Europe and a TV crew would offer them protection from hostile idiots.

I was disappointed too but yes, at least it is their own decision. And it's not a stupid one either, if they are able to limit the run of the show and/or have some sort of creative control. They have waited until after uni to do it so it seems like they know what they're doing and they're using it to get some extra money and inform people about their lives (and they are stared at daily anyway so it's probably not a big difference). And yeah, a tv crew is probably pretty good protection when travelling, they might foot the bill too! Win-win.

Like I said on the other thread too, there's enough interest in just "how on earth is it like?" (from physical issues to cooperation issues to legal issues) with their very unusual situation that they probably can SAVE themselves some of the endless same questions by making documentaries (serious ones) every so often. People can have their curiosity answered without bothering them.

I'll admit if it's a straight documentary or the "reality" is actually pretty normal stuff and it's just showing them basically living life and doing the job hunt (discussing the difficulty of it, legal issues to be dealt with, etc) and whatever, I'd probably try to watch it. If it's one of those "reality" shows that just tries to put people in crazier situations each week and get people fighting, I'll pass.

Archived