IGNORED

'Opting out' LDS and other faiths

freejoytoo

The passage is in the Doctrine and Covenants, and specifically says hot drinks. It can be turned and twisted any way the bishop wants, but they can'T call you out on drinking caffeine. My Mission President's wife, however, told all of us to always ave a bottle of coke in our fridge for stomach issues.

The Church or its corporations ownership in Coke and Pepsi are pretty much an urban legend: http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/mormon.asp They do sell caffeinated drinks in the mall owned by the LDS Church.

Also, I find it funny that numerous LDS women are Choffy distributors, which is a cocoa based drink, which is just like coffee.

My doctor said that only works if its caffeine free and has no carbonation.

The LDS owned mall also has restaurants that serve alcohol like the cheese cake factory. So I dont see why they would shy away from selling caffeinated products. Its a business not a place for indoctrination. Hell, even the early zcmi stores sold alcohol and tobacco. Brigham Young started up a winery before they decided to use water in communion instead of wine. He also had a whiskey still. The early church was not opposed to supplying these items because it made them money. I dont understand why the Utah government is opposed to doing the same thing.

I was raised LDS and didn't go on sleepovers until I was in middle school, and that was with the permission of my non-LDS parent.

My LDS parent kept caffeine away, but let me drink it after I turned 8. I think this was because that's the "age of accountability" (and I was also living with Catholic relatives at the time) Booze was strictly forbidden, even when cooked away in food. The same parent was OK with non G rated movies. When I was a teenager we saw an AA rated film with boobage. Scandalous! :D

I don't think these sorts of opting for/against stuff is limited to really religious families, but I think religion (and other forms of indoctrination like militant veganism or environmentalism, for flipside examples to conservative lifestyle) makes the choices stand out more.

The passage is in the Doctrine and Covenants, and specifically says hot drinks. It can be turned and twisted any way the bishop wants, but they can'T call you out on drinking caffeine. My Mission President's wife, however, told all of us to always ave a bottle of coke in our fridge for stomach issues.

The Church or its corporations ownership in Coke and Pepsi are pretty much an urban legend: http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/mormon.asp They do sell caffeinated drinks in the mall owned by the LDS Church.

Also, I find it funny that numerous LDS women are Choffy distributors, which is a cocoa based drink, which is just like coffee.

I also find it funny that LDS women often are Choffy distributors, including some Mormon bloggers I read. Those bloggers also advertise the product on their blog. One thing about Coke is that in some Institutes that are just off campus at some colleges and universities outside of Utah, there are Coke machines inside with the caffeinated product available. The inconsistency with the word of wisdom is one of the many reasons I didn't last long as a Mormon.

I could never cope in a religion which banned tea and coffee. I also couldn't cope with something which tried to tell me Jesus lived in America, but yeah, I would not be a part of something which took my caffeine away :lol:

I could never cope in a religion which banned tea and coffee. I also couldn't cope with something which tried to tell me Jesus lived in America, but yeah, I would not be a part of something which took my caffeine away :lol:

I was raised Catholic and I'm now an atheist. Looking back, I'm so glad that I wasn't raised Mormon or any fundie denomination. There are things about the Mormon religion that are bit more crazy than some other religions. When I read some Mormon blogs, some of those people come off as a bit bland. I couldn't imaging not watching R rated movies. Some of the greatest movies made are R rated movies I also need my caffeine here and there.

I, too could never follow a religion that banned COFFEE. Caffeine is like my lifeblood!

Someone once noted that there seems to be a high rate of cavities in Utah. I wonder if there's a high rate of consumption of sugar and non-caffienated soda is a reaction to the ban on alcohol and caffeine. People have to channel their unhealthy urges somewhere and there's no doctrine against eating cookies and chips!

Cuss words for some movies makes the movies have a gritty or angsty type feel. American History X had a high amount of cuss words and it had to the intense feel of the movie.

The cuss words would not keep me from watching American History X, but there's a whole loot of other stuff in that movie that earns it the R, imo. We had to watch a scene from it in a class I was in (the curbstomping scene) and I was pretty damn upset that we didn't get a warning on it. The gratuitous anti-Semitic slurs would also do it for me.

Desertvixen, it's tough to upset me. I have a wall full of graphic pictures of car bombings and I have the embarrassing habit of saying things like "Do you know in the Omagh bombing a woman had her head sliced off?" or telling people what variety of guns the UK armed police use.

And I still vividly remember that scene. It was very startling.

JFC, I'm not really bothered by blood and gore, but that bothered me - a lot.

Of course, I also get upset by violence towards cats as well - but I would say there were a lot more reasons besides the language to make that movie a Restricted rating.

I'll be the first to admit, there is probably some stuff in the PG-13 that isn't appropriate for my child that she does see, but nothing on that level.

I also get annoyed by the people who aren't bothered if the R rating is for violence, but get all self-righteous and ban-happy because it has sex in it.

I think half of these people are just trying to "out holy" one another with all of this "opt out" bullshit. I love her crap about opting out of tv. "Oh we've opted out of tv. Too holy you know. Instead we sit glued to Netflix for hours on end. It's sooo much better for the kids!11!11!" Please.

I think it was the malice, Desertvixen. Terrorist scenes are easier for me to look at because I understand the workings behind them. It's not personal. One wouldn't think of particular people mostly, and if one has to think of particular people it's as symbols. It's what they represent, not who they are.

As an example which I mentioned, Omagh. No one was going "Oh Mr McDonnell will be walking down the street that day, the bastard". It was to make a point in political infighting. It was saying "Look at the firepower we have" as well as making several points to not only the internal establishment but the Irish republican movement. Not "I particularly dislike a certain person." I find that much more difficult to watch or think about.

Also, I can think about tactics with terrorism. Like I can see flaws in their plans or what I would do better. It comes across as really coldhearted sometimes which I don't mean at all. I'm just stupid at putting it. It's the difference between "Tactically there was an error here" or "This was a well done operation" and "I approve of this " (I never do, like most people I oppose terrorism strongly). I can split off "How this worked and the meaning behind it" from "The thing which should never have happened." You can see both at the same time.

(Like for students of military history. If one says "The Nazi operation went well and was tactically brilliant" it's not like saying "OMG I LOVE THE NAZIS AND ALL THEY STOOD FOR". If one says "If I was commanding the German forces I would have [done Y act]" it doesn't mean they ever would have done that act IRL or are fascists.)

I've had personal experience of both terrorism and of a close relative being murdered. I find the terrorism, horrible as it was, easier to understand. I can't understand the murder.

I get more worried about cats in films than humans. Sad but true. Maybe not if it involved terrorism though. I can't watch that kind of thing because I get way too involved in the film and imagine myself in the person's place.

I also can't stand it when people are gun happy but act like a bit of boob is some sort of heinous crime. I don't have children but if/when I do I would so much rather they saw some sex than someone getting their head blown off.

Archived