IGNORED

Abby and Brittany Hensel Reality Show premiering MERGED

Mela99

People did correct that erroneous view. I don't think she had watched much of the show.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally watched the first two episodes on YouTube (though now that I hear you can see them on TLC maybe I'll go there because what is up with the split screen thing? Makes the image THAT much smaller y'know?).

I didn't think they seemed immature either, just your usual super bubbly college girls - and the first episode they were at parties, so it didn't seem strange. They got more serious during the interview episode.

I too notice that they're not quite symmetrical, Brittany is shorter and more... tilted? If you freeze the image and cover one and then the other, Abby is "regular" upright more but Brittany by herself, you can tell she's not quite standing normally upright. I can't help but wonder how they feel about that difference, but like others too I mainly do have to wonder if they have back pain. It's the weak spot on just regular singleton humans too after all...

If I remember correctly, they had back surgery in their early teens*. I thought they recently mentioned that Abby lost a few inches of height due to Brittany. Maybe something had to be done to their spine so that they would both be comfortable, even if it meant they ended up a little shorter?

*I think this back surgery was covered on one of their specials. After the surgery, one of them wasn't feeling well, and didn't want the cameras involved. So, the filming after the surgery appeared to be after they had both recovered.

I guess I should look up the specials.

And of course, it's 2012 and these are 22 year old well-known people and I'm on the internet, so there's a chance they read this! (though I don't know how it often works with well known people maybe they avoid looking up anything in their real name, ha) but yeah I can understand not wanting details out there. I'm more just curious about the general concept of the thing I guess. I can kinda understand if they had to have back surgeries, if so, I do sympathize as someone with some back issues myself (part of what got me wondering!).

I saw part of another of the TV episodes today on TLC's website (need to watch the rest of it) where they are buying items for their class and whatnot, they seem like usual excited people just launching into the work world. Of course they have to deal with the prejudice that comes with disability, or "deformity" too, the show seems to gloss over much of that which I suppose is understandable but it's sort of an interesting topic, if they can find a way to talk about it intellectually I'd be interested too. The talk about "two salaries or one" scratches the surface a bit. Nearer to me in RL I know people with more "normal" disabilities and even they often have a hard time just breaking through the employer's worry of "but what if something happens?" "what if people are uncomfortable?" type stuff, even when their needed accommodations are minimal to none (none meaning the building code already put in an elevator, basically).

Anyways, best of luck to them, it's good to hear they found a career they can both do together like that. I first heard of them from LIFE magazine in 1996 when they were six and I was in graduate school, bought the issue even - so mainly for me realizing they are 22 is just making me feel OLD!! But - best of luck to them, seems stuff is going well.

Yes they did have surgery on their spine/back...I've forgotten the details but I'm sure you can find it online. Brittany does look more tilted and yes she said on camera the surgery made her shorter or something? I'd think they'd be in terrible pain but it doesn't seem to be...

I haven't watched any more episode,s I want to though

Archived