IGNORED

Abby and Brittany Hensel Reality Show premiering MERGED

Mela99

So did one of my gay friends. That doesn't mean anything. Anyway, if they plan to have families they're kinda stuck going against a "traditional" marriage arrangement.

Yeah, they were born into a position that will naturally have them questioning things and where they'll have to say screw you to at least a few social conservatives if they don't want to remain celibate. I think their chances of ending up liberal are better than average.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be legally interesting if they had a kid though - they share a bottom half (including one uterus), and also 100% of their DNA. So they both really would be the kid's "bio mom" in the entire sense, both genetically and carrying.

You seem quite stuck on this, what's the deal?

Just find it interesting that's all. I think if a fundie family that people here disliked decided to send their kids to Bethel everyone would be all over it talking about how it's good they get to leave home and all but how terrible it is that they are going to a college that believes the Bible literally and how the school doesn't agree with homosexuality or any sex outside of marriage. (Bethel is pretty fundamental and pretty strict.)

It just seems that since people here seem to like the Hensel girls that they and their family seem to get a pass on their choice of a college. I guess on FJ if you're likable then going to a fundie, gay-hating college is ok.

Just find it interesting that's all. I think if a fundie family that people here disliked decided to send their kids to Bethel everyone would be all over it talking about how it's good they get to leave home and all but how terrible it is that they are going to a college that believes the Bible literally and how the school doesn't agree with homosexuality or any sex outside of marriage. (Bethel is pretty fundamental and pretty strict.)

It just seems that since people here seem to like the Hensel girls that they and their family seem to get a pass on their choice of a college. I guess on FJ if you're likable then going to a fundie, gay-hating college is ok.

I DO NOT have a way to verify this, but I remember on one of their shows, they were having trouble getting into colleges because some of the administrators were balking at there being no way to separate the two while they took SAT and other tests. Maybe that limited their choice of colleges.

My guess is that it may have been one of the few colleges that would make exceptions for their extraordinary situation. Their situation would be a nightmare for any specialized support at a university. I worked with someone who has a guide dog. She went to her first class with her guide dog and one student when into anaphylactic shock (allergic to dogs). It was a required class for students and that was a nightmare for specialized support to organize and fix. I don't want to even think about trying to get around the whole academic honesty issue. That was probably the sticking point for most places. It wouldn't surprise me if they were one of the few colleges willing to work around the twins' limitations.

Edit: Glass Cowcatcher beat me to it.

I would also bet that geography played a part and for a number of reasons they didn't want to or couldn't go too far from home. Also if they get tired getting around or say have issues walking on snowy sidewalks a small campus would be appealing over a large state university's campus.

I DO NOT have a way to verify this, but I remember on one of their shows, they were having trouble getting into colleges because some of the administrators were balking at there being no way to separate the two while they took SAT and other tests. Maybe that limited their choice of colleges.

This is another one of those weird interesting questions though - apparently in high school they put a divider between them and whatnot so they did individual tests, and I can understand that "rules is rules" on college entrance examinations, but on the other hand? Realistically, any job or task they're hired for, they will be there doing it together. So does it really matter all that much if they can't separate entirely their test-taking? If they "cheated," in a sense, so what?

...and yet I can understand the colleges' POV too, if we let these people, then what next (legally)... and the question of is it proper to really treat two people as one for a test out of expedience, when the two involved are very much trying to assert individuality too? And yet... yeah probably most schools/employers/etc just say "that's interesting but we don't have time, I don't want to deal with it, just say no."

But if a show talked about THAT kinda thing, I'd be interested.

Heck - if by some miracle they google up this thread and are reading this, I'm interested to know how that went. I imagine some aspects of their "you have to get two for one, sorry" necessary requirements probably ARE like a disability on steroids as far as public reaction and accommodation goes, even if it's not actually impeding anyone's living function.

I didn't realise that and it is disappointing but I wonder how many people really think about these issues when they want to go to college and trying to find one that accepts them. Especially in the US where there are loads of conservative/religious places about.

I do think their family is pretty religious, but in some ways they seem to have used that in a good way to really accept the girls, maybe they accept other people too. And I do think it's good they went to uni which is a lot better than most fundie families.

Surprised you all like them so much since they graduated from a university that believes in heterosexual marriage only.

Uh...so? Believe it or not, it's possible for people to have different views than an institution they attended. It doesn't really affect the way I feel about them either way.

Uh...so? Believe it or not, it's possible for people to have different views than an institution they attended. It doesn't really affect the way I feel about them either way.

The same can be said for having different views than the chicken restaurant you choose to eat at.

The same can be said for having different views than the chicken restaurant you choose to eat at.

Depends on whether you're going on a special day to celebrate their views or not.

There's a difference between actively going on a set date to support an institution's views and being involved with an institution with particular views. If I held a grudge against every human being that has ever associated in any way with an entity that holds antigay views, I'd be a hermit. It's not an institution I'd be particularly proud to be involved in but, like several have said, there were likely huge logistical issues with getting them into college to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes they chose a Christian University but who really knows why? Maybe they are religiously conservative but there are other considerations as well. It's in their home state, it may have been a financial consideration or it might have been the most accessible and easy for them in terms of their needs. They might have to consider doctors appointments or something like that.

This has raised many questions for me:

Do they have separate bank accounts?

Do they have to write separate papers for college? That would take forever. Seriously.

How do they get their hair done, like do they make separate salon appointments or one?

Are they ambidextrous? I guess they'd have to be because they reach control one arm.

Are they ambidextrous? I guess they'd have to be because they reach control one arm.

I know for this one they each can write with the hand they control. there is video of them doing that.

Late to this thread but just started watching this show -- those girls really are amazing and tolerant. I think they'd make great elementary school teachers. Talk about authorities on teasing and being different. I could see them being life-changing for some kids. I do hope the show steers away from sensitive topics.

And as for this:

Surprised you all like them so much since they graduated from a university that believes in heterosexual marriage only.

I believe that many here are actually supportive of ANY real college experience for any fundie. After all, Erin Bates goes to an amazingly conservative college but at least she GOES. I don't think there's been a ton of criticism about that...

Yes they chose a Christian University but who really knows why? Maybe they are religiously conservative but there are other considerations as well. It's in their home state, it may have been a financial consideration or it might have been the most accessible and easy for them in terms of their needs. They might have to consider doctors appointments or something like that.

This has raised many questions for me:

Do they have separate bank accounts?

Do they have to write separate papers for college? That would take forever. Seriously.

How do they get their hair done, like do they make separate salon appointments or one?

Good questions- maybe you should send them to TLC to see if they can be answered or perhaps write them? I am sure they do some things at the same time just to save time(like hair appts) but "they " are not ambidextrous since they each have control over their side of the body Abby is right handed and Brittany is left handed. I know in the show they talked about how the school charged them for tuition for 1.5 people because they were taking the same classes and I think they were allowed to write major papers and tests as 1 but class particpation and their student teaching would have been graded as seperate people.

I have kept an eye on them since first hearing about them in 1996 and while some of the issues people wonder about (marriage/kids) have been addressed by other conjoined persons int he past and objections defeated in court(I hink it may have been the Hilton sisters who had to fight for the right to be married because people thought the idea was disgusting) however I soemtimes think we expect too much personal information that should just remain personal to them(have you had sex? how did that work out?)

I have a feeling the girls agreed to the show to get some nest egg money and to perhaps try to appease the ongoing curiosity so they can carry on with their lives. I know that was a big reason they did the special at 16, because it was easier and less intrusive and more controlled to do the show rather than expose themselves to interviewers who might not respect certain limits.

I think their parents have done a great job with an unusual situation and it shows in the attitude the girls have. It also shows how people can adapt to incredible situations and develop incredible character-I would not want to live one moment in their shoes, to have people staring and following whenver you go out in public must be very wearing on patience and self esteem!

I know I'm an easy mark, but I LOVE this show. The girls seem amazingly normal, and have awesome friends. I loved their trip to Chicago, and how supportive the school where they did their student teaching has been.

Good questions- maybe you should send them to TLC to see if they can be answered or perhaps write them?

:laughing-rolling: This sounds like the kind of shit that's posted on the 19K&C FB page :laughing-rolling:

I agree I think their parents did a great job. It would be so tempting to do the "easy thing" - what made me think about that was that on tonights episode they made a point of saying they have "two passports because we have two SSN." Their parents worked hard to give them separate identities - not because the world would necessarily require it, but because they knew it would be vital for Abby's and Brittany's autonomy.

I watched a few episodes of this last night. I like the girls and their friends. I did feel bad for them in the Italy episode when they saw other tourists trying to take pictures of them. I agree with bionicmile, the girls' parents did right.

Good questions- maybe you should send them to TLC to see if they can be answered or perhaps write them? I am sure they do some things at the same time just to save time(like hair appts) but "they " are not ambidextrous since they each have control over their side of the body Abby is right handed and Brittany is left handed. I know in the show they talked about how the school charged them for tuition for 1.5 people because they were taking the same classes and I think they were allowed to write major papers and tests as 1 but class particpation and their student teaching would have been graded as seperate people.

I have kept an eye on them since first hearing about them in 1996 and while some of the issues people wonder about (marriage/kids) have been addressed by other conjoined persons int he past and objections defeated in court(I hink it may have been the Hilton sisters who had to fight for the right to be married because people thought the idea was disgusting) however I soemtimes think we expect too much personal information that should just remain personal to them(have you had sex? how did that work out?)

I have a feeling the girls agreed to the show to get some nest egg money and to perhaps try to appease the ongoing curiosity so they can carry on with their lives. I know that was a big reason they did the special at 16, because it was easier and less intrusive and more controlled to do the show rather than expose themselves to interviewers who might not respect certain limits.

I think their parents have done a great job with an unusual situation and it shows in the attitude the girls have. It also shows how people can adapt to incredible situations and develop incredible character-I would not want to live one moment in their shoes, to have people staring and following whenver you go out in public must be very wearing on patience and self esteem!

I also have that feeling too. In one episode, they talked about their worries for careers. I think they are likely saving the money they have received from TLC as backup while they try to figure what they want to do with their lives. I think they will ended going into teaching like they are hoping too. But I see them working at a charter school or at a private school.

I am sure they do some things at the same time just to save time(like hair appts) but "they " are not ambidextrous since they each have control over their side of the body Abby is right handed and Brittany is left handed.

I stared at that question for awhile when it was first posted and couldn't figure out how to answer it, but that's it! Neither of them can be ambidextrous because they each only have one hand. And the question of which hand is dominant is moot when you've only got one hand.

I stared at that question for awhile when it was first posted and couldn't figure out how to answer it, but that's it! Neither of them can be ambidextrous because they each only have one hand. And the question of which hand is dominant is moot when you've only got one hand.

Exactly!! I always like it when people ask if they are identical...

We had 4 sets of identical twins in our small country school when I was in Elementary School and we all learned to tel them apart. When you look for the differences you can find them. Had a client who had identical mirror image twins and thye were amazed I could not only tell they were mirror image but I could tell which one was who from the front or back(identical usually have differences th emirror has reverse cowlicks on th eback of their heads and one had a freckle on his nose)

Archived