IGNORED

Abby and Brittany Hensel Reality Show premiering MERGED

Mela99

I like that they don't seem to have been kept in a bubble by their parents. They've gone to college, lived with roommates, and now they're taking trips to other countries. Given their situation, I could see their parents being really overprotective, even though they're adults now.

I've been following the TWOP thread about this show and many posters there think that the blond roommate is some sort of paid companion to A & B because she's with them a lot. I don't agree; I think she's just there because she's a good friend, and they all kept talking about how they were trying to spend lots of time together because college was almost over and everyone would be going separate ways.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know for this one they each can write with the hand they control. there is video of them doing that.

They may be mirror twins. There was a set of mirror twins in my high school class and, true to form, one was left-handed and one was right-handed.

They may be mirror twins. There was a set of mirror twins in my high school class and, true to form, one was left-handed and one was right-handed.

Um, they only have one hand each, but sure, I guess they're mirror twins because they write with different hands.

finally found the first episode on youtube. It had everything shown twice on the screen though, is that an upload error or is the real show like that? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25mV4OLseyU

The coordination they have is amazing.

I've been following the TWOP thread about this show and many posters there think that the blond roommate is some sort of paid companion to A & B because she's with them a lot. I don't agree; I think she's just there because she's a good friend, and they all kept talking about how they were trying to spend lots of time together because college was almost over and everyone would be going separate ways.

I wish I hadn't read that, since then I've been judging her and trying to find elements of fakeness.

I'm sure they're just friends but it's been tainted somewhat for me, lol.

Just saw some more episodes - they do seem like they're definitely making the most of their opportunities, they have a pretty good outlook on things and it's cool how they explained in some more detail about things they feel and how their bodies heat up differently. Was also really interesting to hear them justify how they'd take one salary at first but the benefits of being two people and how they could negotiate for more later (though, I'm not sure how convinced I was by the "one could be teaching and one could be monitoring and answering questions" - scanning for misbehaviour maybe, but probably not walking around assisting and having an independent conversation with struggling students while the other one was addressing the class.

They both have heads on an angle but Brittany's seems worse. I wonder if they get much pain and discomfort. They certainly don't seem to complain of it but it often looks uncomfy, even if they're used to it. And they have had some operations to help them out. I noticed they had really shapely legs! I wonder if it's because their legs are used to carrying about more weight

Still prefer these two over the Duggars. Apart from being conjoined, at least they're normal, do normal young adult things rather than breastfeed their siblings while Jim Bob and the Uterus do the horizontal horror.

I have been reading through the twop thread over the past few days. I also read the theory about the blonde being a paid companion. I agree with luckystone, I think she and the twins are friends. I wouldn't be surprised if she is getting paid by to TLC to help out the girls on trips. I don't think I will be reading the twop threads that much, some of the twopers seem to think that Abby and Brittany act immature. I think they are the types that try to be positive and happy and sometimes it comes off as if they are acting younger than their ages. They have shown moments of maturity such as being worried about their future and careers.

I don't think they're immature either - they just had a fun streak. They asked for the cameras out of their job interview and when they were talking about one salary at first but wanting to negotiate more in future it sounds like they'd put a lot of thought into it.

Erm, what is the twop thread?

I don't think they're immature either - they just had a fun streak. They asked for the cameras out of their job interview and when they were talking about one salary at first but wanting to negotiate more in future it sounds like they'd put a lot of thought into it.

Erm, what is the twop thread?

The twop thread is on the Television Without Pity(TWOP) forums. There are different twop threads for various reality and scripted shows. I used to post on those forums for awhile, but the moderating is really strict on some threads.

http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/

Abby and Brittany thread

http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com ... 14571&st=0

I also checked out the IMDB boards for A&B and a few posters there also think the girls are immature.

I don't think they're immature either, unlike some fundies we all know. To me, they're just your typical 20 somethings who like to have fun.

Yes they are definitely less stunted than some fundies even if they are "goofy" which might seem immature. I had a brief look through the forum and didn't see too many "immature" comments though a lot of people didn't know what they were talking about and were still asking basic questions like whether the girls had one reproductive system or two.

The voiceover at the start strongly suggests they want the show to be boring so people will lose interest in them, they keep going on about NORMAL LIFE and someone on the thread even criticised it for not being interesting enough. I do wonder if that is their plan as they have avoided media attention until now.

I've seen three episodes now and even though they're trying not to show it, Abby does seem more "dominant" which is a bit sad to watch.

Yes they are definitely less stunted than some fundies even if they are "goofy" which might seem immature. I had a brief look through the forum and didn't see too many "immature" comments though a lot of people didn't know what they were talking about and were still asking basic questions like whether the girls had one reproductive system or two.

The voiceover at the start strongly suggests they want the show to be boring so people will lose interest in them, they keep going on about NORMAL LIFE and someone on the thread even criticised it for not being interesting enough. I do wonder if that is their plan as they have avoided media attention until now.

I've seen three episodes now and even though they're trying not to show it, Abby does seem more "dominant" which is a bit sad to watch.

That could be a good plan. Document your day to day life meticulously enough to satisfy the curious people, but do it in a way that will minimize the extent to which it popularizes you.

I'm surprised that some of the posts on the TWOP thread haven't been snipped. Some of the early posts mentioned other sets of conjoined twins. At some point, the infamous TWOP Howard will likely do some snipping and then will put a sticky warning people not to talk about other sets of conjoined twins.

Howard did come in and remind people to stay on topic especially when the set with only two legs that were separated kept being brought up.

I still haven't watched the show, but the discussion here actually made me visit TWOP for the first time in years. Man, has the level of commentary gone downhill over there. I remember reading amazing TWOP discussion on shows like The Sopranos, etc: you could find well-reasoned insights into characters, classical references, all sorts of bright people talking. Now they are over there seriously insisting that the Hensel twins can only be "one person with two heads" and "ewwww, who's gonna wanna marry them?"

I wonder if in this case it has to do with the quality of the show. I've seen all the episodes and they are frothy at best. There is very little of substance in any of them that I've seen. I don't think Abby and Brittany going to Chicago, UK, and Italy and while there going rowing, eating gelato, and riding a Segway is going to bring out a lot of deep conversation or classical references.

I don't know...I also thought it was pretty low-level commentary...I realise there's not much to say about the show, but like I said earlier, in my brief look at it people were still obsessed over the fact it might be tricky for them to get married etc.

I'm surprised that some of the posts on the TWOP thread haven't been snipped. Some of the early posts mentioned other sets of conjoined twins. At some point, the infamous TWOP Howard will likely do some snipping and then will put a sticky warning people not to talk about other sets of conjoined twins.

Heh. That's actually how I found the old freejinger yuku board - one day I had the urge to google about the Duggars and found a thread about their show (which I've never seen, only a few YouTube clips) over on TWOP. The threads were fascinating and I read plenty, but realized that it was mostly the "off topic! I'm warning you!!!" stuff that was more "meta" about them that I was interested in. Someone over there eventually posted the link to freejinger, and that was that...!

I wonder if in this case it has to do with the quality of the show. I've seen all the episodes and they are frothy at best. There is very little of substance in any of them that I've seen. I don't think Abby and Brittany going to Chicago, UK, and Italy and while there going rowing, eating gelato, and riding a Segway is going to bring out a lot of deep conversation or classical references.

I think you are hitting on exactly the point... "Let's make this situation average-looking so people perceive the girls as average." I love watching them -- would I love a show that probes deep questions about what it is like to be conjoined, what their thoughts on dating/marriage is, if they masturbate, how they manage voting, what it's like to go to a doctor for a regular exam is like....YES. But, I think that is so extra-ordinary. It seems that the goal of their show is to help us understand that they are NORMAL late-adolescents facing NORMAL late-adolescent changes, despite their extraordinary challenges. I think it is okay that the show is sorta.... "boring." In fact... I love it!

I'm gonna assume they masturbate because they're healthy humans. :) I'm fine not hearing the specifics about it, all I can say as far as the "but someone is there!!!" factor is, well, they are the most close people anyone can ever be, and even singleton people all the time do manage to get into relationships where they're comfortable enough doing all sorts of TMI stuff in front of each other and with each other and even TO each other, so... yeah.

The legal stuff I'd love to hear about, though, since it's not anything that would be embarrassing - most people are happy enough to discuss voting and job search issues on TV, and it's interesting from a legal perspective. They do have separate SSNs and separate legal identities (as they should, IMHO) so they should both have the right to vote. If they voted in my area, the physical setup would be easy enough, we have written ballots so one can close eyes while the other votes, OR, they can stand in the booth in such a way that one is outside/head outside the curtain. Or put the divider they used for tests up between them.

I still haven't watched the show, but the discussion here actually made me visit TWOP for the first time in years. Man, has the level of commentary gone downhill over there. I remember reading amazing TWOP discussion on shows like The Sopranos, etc: you could find well-reasoned insights into characters, classical references, all sorts of bright people talking. Now they are over there seriously insisting that the Hensel twins can only be "one person with two heads" and "ewwww, who's gonna wanna marry them?"

One poster there is also insisting that "the second head" is "parasitic" and that they would have "sacrificed" that head. I saw that and thought WTF? They obviously can't grasp that the girls are two separate people who control their own side of their shared body. If one was "sacrificed," the remaining twin would have an entire side that didn't function at all. :doh:

Archived