IGNORED

How to spiritually manipulate young people-Gothard Style!

xReems

Yikes! Talking with friends or (gasp!) doing something nice for them, instead of being a hermit, is bad in their world?

This would explain why my former best friend who has, over the years, gotten deeper and deeper into ATI/IBLP/Gothardism barely communicates with me any more, and when she does it consists of a mostly one-sided drill about my spiritual life with her taking notes on anything I say that relates to God or the universe. :? I finally got her to talk to me for over an hour the other day (when I found out she was engaged to an arranged suitor), and she couldn't believe how much she enjoyed visiting with me. But she kept chastising herself for how much time she wasted talking to me, since there are so many other important things she must do, but it was as if she felt guiltily happy about just getting to chat with a friend for a while. I think she must rarely, if ever, experience anything fun or pleasurable, and her parents keep her so busy on purpose. She runs her father's insurance business and does all the shopping, cooking, and household cleaning for her mother, in a family of 6 children. She's the oldest. Getting married this fall, and they've determined that they are going to let "God be in control of their family size." By that logic, why don't you just stopping buying food and let God be in control of cooking? Stop working and let God field the bills. Oh wait, some people (not my friend's fam) already do this... :?

http://www.recoveringgrace.org/2012/01/ ... ut-purity/

The funny thing about purity is how the pursuit of it drove so many people into utter promiscuity.

I met a guy who was older than me. He fit the marriage criteria. In fact, he said he was in the process of starting a rescue mission in India. He was handsome and confident and said all the right things. I was smitten, and became convinced that if I married him we could make a difference together. Over time, I grew to trust him completely. We began seeing each other. As time went by, we became more and more physical with each other. We flirted with the line of what was fooling around and what was going all the way. I was naïve and foolish, and I trusted him completely. Until the day that my last bit of self-worth was whisked away in the time span of about 10 seconds. There, standing in a garage over a pile of dirty laundry like the cheap whore I was made to feel like, it was gone. He knew I had wanted to wait for that. He knew I was a virgin. But it didn’t matter. My purity was gone along with any shred of self-worth I had left. I now officially was nothing.

I went home feeling completely empty. There was no way my parents could know. They had screamed at me over a letter from a boy—this was far worse. I had to just move on and keep trying to pretend that I hadn’t just been destroyed, but it didn’t work. Word got out to my circle of friends that I was “promiscuous,” and my fate was sealed. I was now the resident whore. I reached out to the few people in my life whom I thought could help me, but even they turned their backs on me. The depression I had been managing for years raged with a new-found fury. The screaming bouts with my mom were getting worse. ALL of my friends abandoned me except one–a guy who had been a confidante to me. He was there for me. He comforted me. He held me. Our friendship turned physical.

recoveringgrace.org/2012/07/how-to-spiritually-manipulate-young-people-in-six-easy-steps/

Apparently, if you enjoy reading a novel, that's bad because it steers you away from loving God. That's how Gothard gets those girls on Journey to the Heart to feel bad about themselves and make them see how "sinful" they are, when they're really not. These poor girls are so vulnerable that a simple questionnaire, like the one posted, could break any of them down.

According to Gothard, any simple pleasure in life that doesn't involve God, makes you an awful and selfish person.

So are the "Godly" people who write spiritual "advice" books in the cult exempt from this rule? Those hypocrites! I'm sure the Duggars are exempt from this rule since they're spreading the word of the cult in an unholy way to get more customers... * :evil: *

Um, Bill? Jesus had friends: Mary, Martha, and Lazarus come to mind. He would go to their house and chill. He wept when Lazarus died. Guess Jesus wasn't Christian enough.

Um, Bill? Jesus had friends: Mary, Martha, and Lazarus come to mind. He would go to their house and chill. He wept when Lazarus died. Guess Jesus wasn't Christian enough.

OMG Jesus needed to be under Gothard's personal leadership.

Archived