IGNORED

Which Olympic sports are you watching?

Terrie

I have been enjoying women's soccer mainly because Megan Rapicone, a girl my daughter played against in high school is on the team and doing great.

Gymnastics, of course, the women seem to be doing almost the same tricks that the men do on the high bar and attend to the low bar, too.

The pair diving was awesome. And the divers so pretty.

I think I will boycott dressage because Mittens got a 77k tax deduction on his wife's horse who will be there.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been watching the football, the swimming and the gymnastics. I'll pretty much be watching whatever the BBC happens to show.

That said, I am really annoyed with the British coverage. They spend a ridiculous amount of time talking about, and to, the British athletes even when the Brits are losing. It's like an obsession for them. I want to watch the best athletes and the most engaging and interesting competitions but the BBC can't help but cut away to chat to some useless British sportsperson who placed seventh!

My favourite part of the Olympics so far has been Chad le Clos's victory in the 200m Butterfly and the interview with his Dad afterwards.

People in all competitive nations have been complaining about their nation dominating the news and interviews! But I would have huge respect for anyone who made it to the Olympics even if they placed seventh. Team GB is not doing fantastic (although two golds yesterday) but I think they are learning lessons for 2016.

I wish there was more emphasis placed on new competitors like the Saudi female athletes.

I was blown away by the women's gymnastics last night. It's amazing to watch them compete at this level, because their skill set is SO high and they are SO solid. I felt bad for the Russian girls though, watching them on beam and floor. After they killed it on bars, they really had some bobbles on their final events :|

I wanted Russia to win so bad, but no more than the other girls. I'm just surprised that the podium was the same this year as it was in Atlanta: USA, Russia, Romania.

I'm also super proud of this quote from Aliya Mustafina:

“There is no joy on our faces because we are a little tired. We still haven’t fully processed it all. First, we cried with pain, then - with joy. We knew that we could have been better. Even though we would not have been first, but we could have competed more confidently. Although overtaking the United States would have probably been impossible. The American women have now proven that they are the best.â€

I'm seriously bummed that badminton is the sport to have the big scandal of this year's Olympics.

People in all competitive nations have been complaining about their nation dominating the news and interviews! But I would have huge respect for anyone who made it to the Olympics even if they placed seventh. Team GB is not doing fantastic (although two golds yesterday) but I think they are learning lessons for 2016.

I wish there was more emphasis placed on new competitors like the Saudi female athletes.

I totally agree, JFC. My fencing hero placed 16th in her event (women's epee), but I am still immensely proud of her and still have mad amounts of respect for her. I know a lot about her and have met her a few times, because her college coach was the person who taught me to fence. He has worked with world class people (he was even once the US Olympic team's coach), but I've never heard him speak so well about anybody as I heard him speak about Maya. He praised how dedicated and focused she was and how hard she worked. She was unable to go to Beijing, because she injured herself. I immensely proud and respect her because she made it to London in the first place. I'm even prouder that she placed higher than her initial seeding. So what if she didn't even make quarter finals? She's still an amazing fencer and I still respect her a lot.

Also, agree that it would be nice if there was more emphasis placed on new competitors like the Saudi female athletes, or competitors from smaller delegations.

And, I'm a bit surprised that you're for team GB. ;) But I suppose that's because the Scots don't have their own national team (unlike other national groups that are not their own countries like Palestine, Guam, or Bermuda).

That is so cool, pomology! I'm amazed you know an Olympian! :)

Re team GB, I hope one day Scotland gets its own team when we become independent (although it will take a while and a few Olympics for us to be in medal contention I think) but till then I will cheer team GB :D To be honest I like nearly all the teams, I was even cheering North Korea in the weightlifting...

As I say it's a faux pas on the far Left to say you like the Olympics but I do! I was crying at the gymnastics (though that turned out to be PMT) and I did judo as a kid so I was fixated by the women's judo. And cried a lot.

I had the day off today so watched them in the pub in the company of a beer-bellied man who was a Jambo and whose name I know not. I explained to him drunkenly how shooting works as a sport (fire ahead of the discus or you won't make your shot - it's a judgement thing) and he explained to me how canoeing works. We were happy and pissedly watched the judo together. I left him musing to himself "If Ah'd worked hairder, ah could of been ane o them" (Olympians). This seemed unlikely, but I didn't want to say anything. ;)

That is so cool, pomology! I'm amazed you know an Olympian! :)

I mean, I don't really know her. I've met her a few times and once had a lesson from her, but I highly doubt she remembers me. I've actually been in the same room as several members of the US fencing team. Fencing is a small world, especially in the midwest.

I've been watching the archery highlights today. What skill! These women are amazing, I wish it was a sport that got more tv coverage.

Fencing is a small world, even in the big cities, I think. I looked up my onetime coaches and neither was an Olympian but they were both pretty decorated; this being over ten years ago, I don't remember the names of a lot of people in the salle at the time, but I do remember seeing clips of competitions in '04 and thinking, "Hey, there's What's-Her-Name!"

Gabby Douglas won the all around gymnastics gold and the poor girl is getting nasty treats about how ugly her hair is. How can people be so hateful.

Guest Anonymous
Gabby Douglas won the all around gymnastics gold and the poor girl is getting nasty treats about how ugly her hair is. How can people be so hateful.

What is supposed to be wrong with her hair? I had a quick look at a few photos and, frankly, it just seems sort of neat and straightforward.

What is supposed to be wrong with her hair? I had a quick look at a few photos and, frankly, it just seems sort of neat and straightforward.

Yeah, exactly. It was pulled back neatly in a bun-ponytail, just like her teammates'. What was it supposed to look like? And why do people feel the need to hate on the (perfectly fine-looking) hair of a 16-year-old girl?

Wtf? Gabby Douglas is not only an incredible gymnast but is also extremely pretty. Not that her looks matter but what the hell are these people on about?

Wtf? Gabby Douglas is not only an incredible gymnast but is also extremely pretty. Not that her looks matter but what the hell are these people on about?

This! I thought she was a fantastic gymnast and pretty and sweet. Her hair seemed nice and appropriate.

Who worries about the gel an Olympic medallist puts in? Big deal. She has skills none of you bastards will ever match so leave well alone.

Fencing is a small world, even in the big cities, I think. I looked up my onetime coaches and neither was an Olympian but they were both pretty decorated; this being over ten years ago, I don't remember the names of a lot of people in the salle at the time, but I do remember seeing clips of competitions in '04 and thinking, "Hey, there's What's-Her-Name!"

Yep, fencing is a small world everywhere. But the reason I've been in the same room with so many members of the US Olympic team is because they went to Notre Dame and my small college's club team fenced Division I Varsity teams like Notre Dame and OSU. Which I think is primarily because there are so few schools with fencing in the midwest. Although maybe club teams fence varsity teams everywhere in the country?

NBC, MSNBC, Bravo and NBCSN air a lot of different sports during the day that are probably deemed too unimportant for prime-time. I watch a lot on the livestream on NBC.com, which is working pretty good for me. And I also have Dutch radio on all day, so I can keep up with my fellow countrymen and women and their achievements :)

How are those of you in the US watching anything that isn't swimming, gymnastics, or beach volleyball? I'm really disappointed that I haven't seen anything different or interesting.

Also this: http://fstoppers.com/what-if-all-sports ... volleyball

I'm streaming it from nbcolympics.com, where you can stream any event you want. It isn't free--you have to have cable to get it. However, you can have a four hour temporary pass, which requires only that you give them an email address, not that you verify it. So you could probably feed it bullshit email addresses and watch as long as you want. I don't know, though, I only gave it two different email addresses.

I live in London and was at the Boxing the other night! I also have some Paraolympic tickets for September! I have been well and truly bitten by the Olympic Spirit!

I live in London and was at the Boxing the other night! I also have some Paraolympic tickets for September! I have been well and truly bitten by the Olympic Spirit!

Nice!

Boxing's one I don't get. I was watching the handful of sports I do get, judo and shooting being the main ones. None today, not being well.

I'm looking forward to the Paralympics!

I'm streaming it from nbcolympics.com, where you can stream any event you want. It isn't free--you have to have cable to get it. However, you can have a four hour temporary pass, which requires only that you give them an email address, not that you verify it. So you could probably feed it bullshit email addresses and watch as long as you want. I don't know, though, I only gave it two different email addresses.

I didn't know about the temp passes. Thanks!

I love the paralympics. They inspire me even more than the olympians.

Archived