IGNORED

Which Olympic sports are you watching?

Terrie

So I had a busy weekend and didn't watch much, but I've been following badminton, which is the only sport I was ever any good at. Also checking in on gymnastics and weightlifting on occasion.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Swimming. While I was pretty competitive in high school, enough to go to state finals (though never finishing higher than 6th in my career), I can't imagine posting times like those women post. The best I ever did was a sub 30 second 50 M and a 1:08 100 M Freestyle.

I love the gymnastics, some of the fast track & field events, and the diving.

I can't get into the equestrian events.

I watched some of the equestrian events earlier but only because I thought the horses were cute :oops: and that it was in Greenwich Park near where I used to live. I also watched some of the diving and gymnastics. I probably won't watch anything else.

Archery, rowing, canoe/kayak, and a little bit of a lot of other things. I tend to stay away from the biggies like gymnastics and swimming. I'll pay some attention to track and field and I'll follow the pentathlon (Go, Donna Vakalis!!) when it comes up.

Fencing-specifically epee. I had an exciting time watching someone I've personally met and gotten a lesson from fencing today! I'm excited about the other epee events (men's individuals and women's team), too. That's all I intend to watch. Although, I might watch pentathlon if I have time, because my fencing coach did pentathlon and it seems really interesting.

Guest Anonymous

I love all the swimming, especially the synchronized diving. It amazes me how they do that! Love gymnastics and volleyball too.

I like most of them! Not very PC (lefties aren't supposed to approve of the Olympics, and I don't, but it's fun to see people at the top of their game). The archery was very cool. 8-)

Easier to name what I don't like. Boxing - if you want to see people beating the shit out of each other, go to the end of my road on a Friday night. Dressage - what kind of crack do you have to be on to think up the sport of "getting a horse to dance around"? And handball, which is, frankly, weird.

I'm enjoying the eventing. So much skill involved. Can't wait to see the jumping tomorrow, we're in the running for a medal!!

Innocent until proven guilty and all that.

But sadly I have a hard time believing any of these super fast atheletes are drug free anymore. Too many years of watching the Tour de France.

Guest Anonymous

Cripes, she's young! I sort of hope that she is just magically good at swimming. That is a lot more appealing than the idea of the Chinese team routinely doping a 16-year-old girl with anabolic steroids. Come on, China! The lesson that you're supposed learn from the DDR is that doping screws people up.

I like most of them! Not very PC (lefties aren't supposed to approve of the Olympics, and I don't, but it's fun to see people at the top of their game). The archery was very cool. 8-)

If other global sporting events of this level were easily seen, I don't think I'd find the Olympics all that great. But outside of a few sports like gymnastics and soccer, how often do you get to see athletes like this? But the nationalism is silly. "Ha, the best [sport] athlete is the world was coincidentally born in our country! Take that!"

Easier to name what I don't like. Boxing - if you want to see people beating the shit out of each other, go to the end of my road on a Friday night. Dressage - what kind of crack do you have to be on to think up the sport of "getting a horse to dance around"? And handball, which is, frankly, weird.

Ha, agreed on all counts. I can't really get into the equestrian events as "sports" because I feel like success in those has at least as much to do with the horse (and the breeders and the trainers) as it does with the people riding them. I was also really confused about handball at first. In the US, handball is typically kind of a street sport where a couple of people take a small rubber ball and hit/throw it back and forth against a wall. Sort of like racquetball without the racquets. I definitely didn't understand how that became an olympic sport and why there were goalies :?

Since I'm not working, I've been watching a bunch of things on and off. I like gymnastics and diving. I hadn't really watched canoeing/kayaking before, but they were interesting too.

Fencing. Men's sabre, most specifically, but really, anything. Áron Szilágyi rocks! Then water polo, both men's and women's. Judo, swimming and hand ball. And diving! And canoe events! Really, anything with water.

Gymnastics! I used to be a huge fan/photographer and was at Jordyn Weiber's first National Championships may years ago - and have photos of her eeny-beenie to prove it lol. I was following the quick hits (routine summaries) live today on my phone.

I also love the diving, the swimming, the synchro swimming, equestrian and the rhythmic gymnastics (although it used to be much better). Will watch track and archery, rowing....

Yeah, I'm an Olympics junkie. Got cable and a DVR back just for the next two weeks!

Fencing. Men's sabre, most specifically, but really, anything. Áron Szilágyi rocks! Then water polo, both men's and women's. Judo, swimming and hand ball. And diving! And canoe events! Really, anything with water.

How do you even follow Olympic men's saber? I tried watching and it was so crazy fast that I could not even remotely follow the action.

Diving, Tom Daley's abs, Gymnastics, Rhythmic Gymnastics, Ryan Lochte's pretty face. :)

I wasn't happy with the German equestrian team - granted my memories of how these things work are hazy nowadays (I used to know, long story) but I thought they had their horses' heads under too tight control. Team GB gave their horses more freedom, which seems kinder.

Not saying that to be nationalistic. I like seeing amazing performances by anyone, and to get to Olympic level is fantastic in itself, whether you place eighth or first. I have enjoyed watching the US swimmers, they do excellent work :clap: :clap: :clap:

I was blown away by the women's gymnastics last night. It's amazing to watch them compete at this level, because their skill set is SO high and they are SO solid. I felt bad for the Russian girls though, watching them on beam and floor. After they killed it on bars, they really had some bobbles on their final events :|

I usually only stay for gymnastics and swimming. This, however, has strangled my newfound crush on Ryan Lochte in the crib:

6dlyCTswYH0

I watch whatever I can on NoideawhattheyaredoingBC and catch the events with Dutch athletes, gymnastics and swimming on the NBC live stream(which is at least a minute behind actual time because the Dutch radio is always way ahead of the visuals).

ETA and I also watch men's diving because I'm incredibly shallow.

Guest Anonymous

I've been watching the football, the swimming and the gymnastics. I'll pretty much be watching whatever the BBC happens to show.

That said, I am really annoyed with the British coverage. They spend a ridiculous amount of time talking about, and to, the British athletes even when the Brits are losing. It's like an obsession for them. I want to watch the best athletes and the most engaging and interesting competitions but the BBC can't help but cut away to chat to some useless British sportsperson who placed seventh!

My favourite part of the Olympics so far has been Chad le Clos's victory in the 200m Butterfly and the interview with his Dad afterwards.

Archery, rowing, swimming, synchronized diving, fencing, equestrian, and gymnastics.

Archived