IGNORED

Surprise! The Thinking Housewife hates female athletes

Maggie Mae

http://www.thinkinghousewife.com/wp/201 ... ns-begins/

Someone named Karen submitted the picture from the NYTimes with the soccer players and writes:

Looking at this, I cannot imagine any normal little girl wanting to grow up to be an Olympic soccer player, can you?

Seeing people excited that they won is bad?

She would throw a fit if she knew what I did after work. HINT: It involves pressing my scantily clad body onto a cliff. Or softball.

I suppose I'm not "normal" though. I have a brain.

EDIT- CHANGED THREAD NAME

Um, haven't these people watched "Bend It Like Beckham"???? Plenty of girls dream about sport including soccer! Why would that photo turn them off? Those women are fit and having fun. I know in my primary school everyone loved the Olympics and lots of girls wanted to do that.

In my city, the gender balance in school soccer teams has become 50-50. A lot of MRAs whinge that men are better at it so it doesn't matter, but there's very much the view in my part of the world at least that soccer is very much a non-gendered sport.

Guest Anonymous

Of course, I find the Thinking Housewife detestable on an ideological level but the one thing that bugs me (I mean really, really bugs me) is the way she lines up sentences as if there is a logical progression of thought when there is none. She makes no attempt to explain herself, she doesn't even make real arguments, she just says shit. If there were any logic (any at all in any form, no matter how circular) she would not annoy me half as much.

Feminine modesty protects privacy and intimacy, everything that is separate from the collective hive. The strongest objection to the near-naked Amazon is not founded in prudishness, but in the desire to prevent a form of human slavery. Most people don’t get that and when you defend female modesty they get caught up in the idea that you don’t want women to have fun.

Sure thing, Laura, just throw that out there with absolutely no explanation. I'm sure that's fine.

Of course, I find the Thinking Housewife detestable on an ideological level but the one thing that bugs me (I mean really, really bugs me) is the way she lines up sentences as if there is a logical progression of thought when there is none. She makes no attempt to explain herself, she doesn't even make real arguments, she just says shit. If there were any logic (any at all in any form, no matter how circular) she would not annoy me half as much.

Sure thing, Laura, just throw that out there with absolutely no explanation. I'm sure that's fine.

Okay, I'll bite....what does she mean that skimpy clothes cause slavery?

Seriosuly how does that work

Suggested slight modification to this thread's title: The Thinking Housewife hates women.

Suggested slight modification to this thread's title: The Thinking Housewife hates women.

Well, that could be the title of just about every thread discussing her, and then we'd get confused!

:lol:

Well, that could be the title of just about every thread discussing her, and then we'd get confused!

:lol:

It's probably just me but the phrase "Woman (noun)" instead of "Female (noun) reeeeally grates my nerves. It sounds so awkward. I've never seen a phrase like "man doctor" or "men senators," it's always "male," I don't get it. :think:

I think bet the TH probably gets pissed if she ever drives by parks and sees little girls playing sports.

:roll: oh, my god. :roll: I sincerely hope that the only ones who take her seriously are like-minded.

one can hope, right?

But, really, is she converting ebil feminists? nah... fun snarking material (thanks, fj, for bringing her to my attention :D ), but no one is going to read her crap and think, "gee, I guess I've had it wrong all these years." And if they do, they'll get what they deserve.

In a way, she's snarking, too.... and fj returns the snark.

It's probably just me but the phrase "Woman (noun)" instead of "Female (noun) reeeeally grates my nerves. It sounds so awkward. I've never seen a phrase like "man doctor" or "men senators," it's always "male," I don't get it. :think:

The only thing that irritates me is that it's gender-identified at all. I don't really care if you say man or male or woman or female.... WHY, when the individuals involved are women, is it necessary to identify them as being of the 2x persuasion?

but that may be a side-topic; we're talking about a women's soccer team (rather than the men's soccer team).

Why does one have to say, "a woman/female physician" or "a woman/female clergyperson" or "a man/male nurse?"

The only thing that irritates me is that it's gender-identified at all. I don't really care if you say man or male or woman or female.... WHY, when the individuals involved are women, is it necessary to identify them as being of the 2x persuasion?

but that may be a side-topic; we're talking about a women's soccer team (rather than the men's soccer team).

Why does one have to say, "a woman/female physician" or "a woman/female clergyperson" or "a man/male nurse?"

Sometimes you just need it for clarification.

Like, "Zsu demands a woman physician." :roll:

Would PP demand a man nurse? :snooty: :drool: :think:

I'm sure there are a few of those on Craigslist. ;)

http://www.thinkinghousewife.com/wp/2012/07/the-parade-of-amazons-begins/

Someone named Karen submitted the picture from the NYTimes with the soccer players and writes:

She would throw a fit if she knew what I did after work. HINT: It involves pressing my scantily clad body onto a cliff. Or softball.

She'd keel over and die if she knew about I've been doing twice a week! Hint: it involves terms such as "punch", "hook", and "roundhouse" and requires the use of gloves.

:roll: oh, my god. :roll: I sincerely hope that the only ones who take her seriously are like-minded.

one can hope, right?

But, really, is she converting ebil feminists? nah... fun snarking material (thanks, fj, for bringing her to my attention :D ), but no one is going to read her crap and think, "gee, I guess I've had it wrong all these years." And if they do, they'll get what they deserve.

In a way, she's snarking, too.... and fj returns the snark.

I think her fangirls are like-minded. I think with most of the bloggers we talk about, their fangirls/boys are usually people who have the same extreme conservative views. I suspect that during the Olympics some fundie bloggers will be talking about their dislike for female athletes and the lack of modesty in some of the sports.

http://www.thinkinghousewife.com/wp/2012/07/the-parade-of-amazons-begins/

You know, if she had written, "Looking at this [picture], I cannot imagine wanting to be an Olympic soccer player," I'd shrug and think, "Don't worry about it-- your ball skills probably aren't good enough anyway." (I would also think she lacked imagination, because they look like they're having a lot of fun to me, but whatever.)

But that's not what she wrote, because TH can't simply express a preference-- she has to insist that it's the preference of everyone who's normal. :x

TH is a literalist, right? So she should be down with female distance runners. Hebrews 12 opens with an injunction to "run with perseverance the race that is set before us." It doesn't say, "run with perseverance the race that is set before us, unless you happen to be a girl, in which case, stop whatever you're doing and be quiet."

I don't get where modesty and nakedness come into this. They're dressed perfectly modestly - in fact, they're just wearing what you have to wear for football. They also don't seem Amazonian - they are all attractive young women and I don't see how the pic would put young girls off. To be honest I can normally see why she believes things even though I think she's totally wrong and stupid. But with this - I mean, is football a particularly masculine sport?

Women can't compete on level with men so you don't get mixed teams past childhood - not because they are worse players, but due to body type and difference in strength. So it's a wholly feminine activity to be playing, while modestly dressed, a game with a lot of other modestly dressed women. :dance:

She has this ongoing thing about "normal young girls" not wanting to do things like play football, be in the military etc. I must have been a strange young girl indeed as I played football (and even rugby!) and wanted to be in the army. Two things got in the way of that - I discovered Marxism and I didn't make the height requirement for the military :lol: However, I was also a very feminine young girl, I had long blonde curly hair and my mum wasn't a fan of me wearing trousers so I never did as a small child (when she was dressing me). Shorts for PE were about my limit, and when she put me in a religious school girls wore skirts for PE anyway. I'm so unfeminine now I get called "sir" in shops, but as a child and a young woman I was very feminine. This makes me think that femininity may be more complex than she (and I) believed.

(Have been thinking about this issue for a few days now with the help of kind FJists).

She's a fucking moron.

Clue to some of my hobbies - they involve shorts, T-shirts, trainers/climbing shoes and a bikini.

When I was little I was very, very girly and loved pink and liked skirts and dresses and then weirdly, around age eight, I completely rejected all of it (apart from My-Little-Pony) and started dressing in jeans and refused to put on a dress. I have always enjoyed swimming though.

Well what the heck is wrong with women playing sports? I will admit, I don't have a sporty bone in my body and actually would prefer staying at home baking and crafting because it's what I'm good at! LOL! But my daughter? She wants to be outside, playing sports, fishing, and is hinting at wanting to go hunting as well. She loves her dresses and Hello Kitty, and basically a fabulous tomboy. So what is wrong with that? What is freaking wrong with a woman playing sports? It does not make them "butch". Maybe she's confusing butch with STRONG. Crazy woman.

I played soccer as a teenager. I spent every day in the summer on the field, getting dirty, tearing my clothes, and then I took a shower and went home in a flowery summer dress. Why is everything so black and white with these people?

You know TH has bitched at women who have workout routines as well. Calling them 'manly' and then she bitches about fat women.

What the hell does she want from women to do? Starve ourselves? So we can be pretty, but not intimindating for the menz

I went through a soccer phase when I was 12. I was obsessed although I didn't play on any official team.

I also wanted to be a ballet dancer and that is extremely physical. It looks all girly but it requires a high level of fitness.

Archived