IGNORED

FLDS Construct and Destroy Watchtower at YFZ Ranch

A watch tower (similar in appearance to an airport control tower) has been under construction at the FLDS' Yearning for Zion ranch in Texas for the last year or so. This is a serious-looking building, with 4 foot thick concrete walls. Its purpose was unknown, although speculation was that it was designed to watch for approaching law enforcement from outside or potential "escapees" from inside. It was completed a week or two ago and then suddenly destroyed a few days later :shock: . For the full story see: http://www.kcsg.com/view/full_story/194 ... z21ElnGBhF

We might snark on other fundies, but these folks REALLY know how to bring on the crazy, especially after last month's edict concerning the limitation of fathering children (i.e. having sex with the women folk) to only 15 super special FLDS male elders ;) .

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/state/ ... xRJoA.cspx

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8655 ... tml?pg=all

Note: I'm not breaking links to news sites for reasons already discussed on other threads.

Warren Jeffs and his followers are too crazy for me to snark on, too. I'm scared to death for the children. It will not surprise me in the least to turn on the news one day soon and find that a Jonestown-type situation has occurred there. :cry:

Warren Jeffs and his followers are too crazy for me to snark on, too. I'm scared to death for the children. It will not surprise me in the least to turn on the news one day soon and find that a Jonestown-type situation has occurred there. :cry:

Same here. Carolyn Jessop also mentioned that possibility in her book Escape.

Oh the FLDS they were my introduction into the world of fundies, and years later I'm still shocked at their epic levels of batshit WTFery. Ever time I read about one of Warren's latest messages from God, or what the YFZ and Short Creek communities have been up to I'm forced to conclude that with most of them their God given bullshit meter is broken, probably shorted out after prolonged explosure to dangerous levels of BS.

Still what the hell, build a tower and then demolish it. Maybe they're just getting really bored now, or they've suddenly developed a sense of humor and are just fucking with the outsiders. "Hey ya'll lets build a big omimous looking tower and once all the godless outsiders are sure it's for nefarious purposes, then we'll just demolish it."

I'm currently reading a book written in the late 1800's by a woman who escaped Mormonism/polygamy. Back then, the mainstream Mormon church was pretty much EXACTLY like the FLDS is now.

I totally agree that FLDS is too scary to snark on. It's not an exaggeration to say that the women and children there are being treated as slaves, both for work and sex. And fuckin' Utah and Arizona (and Texas) continue to be afraid of them because they'll scream religious persecution. Numerous people who have investigated FLDS independently know for a fact that serious laws are being broken by them all the time. Last I checked, you don't get to break the law of the land in the name of your religion.

Of course, I'm pretty sure that these states don't do much about it is because it's women and children that are being exploited, and they are considered to be property. Like us rad fems like to say, imagine the situation being opposite. If a group of women were controlling every aspect of a man's life as well as raping and assaulting them, those women would be on death row before you could say boo.

I've been expecting that for years. :(

Yeah I read Carolyn Jessup's books as well and it was terrifying and not in any way snark worthy. At least if a fundie kid wants to leave the lifestyle they have some support systems in place but imagine living in a town where the police, firefighters, doctors, everyone are part of your cult. Horrifying.

Archived