IGNORED

Stinking Fishwife on Sally Ride

Sumeri

Guest Anonymous
To her credit, Ride did not make her lesbianism public and was private about her personal life in general. Her sister and the woman with whom she had a relationship, Tam O’Shaughnessy, have released the information to the world and now Ride has the double distinction of being both the first woman and the first lesbian in space. O’Shaughnessy was Ride’s friend since the age of 12. Ride was briefly married to another astronaut, but they were divorced. So while Ride accomplished much in her career, thanks in part to the spirit of affirmative action, she seems to have never fully emerged from childhood.

What happens to people who marry their opposite gender elementary school or high school sweethearts? Do those people never emerge from their childhoods?

What in the hell? Why is it to someone's credit to keep their sexual orientation secret? What made you decide that Sally Ride never fully emerged from childhood? That's quite an accusation. The "spirit of affirmative action?" What? Just ... what the fuck are you on about?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What in the hell? Why is it to someone's credit to keep their sexual orientation secret? What made you decide that Sally Ride never fully emerged from childhood? That's quite an accusation. The "spirit of affirmative action?" What? Just ... what the fuck are you on about?

I think it was a quote fail. This:

To her credit, Ride did not make her lesbianism public and was private about her personal life in general. Her sister and the woman with whom she had a relationship, Tam O’Shaughnessy, have released the information to the world and now Ride has the double distinction of being both the first woman and the first lesbian in space. O’Shaughnessy was Ride’s friend since the age of 12. Ride was briefly married to another astronaut, but they were divorced. So while Ride accomplished much in her career, thanks in part to the spirit of affirmative action, she seems to have never fully emerged from childhood.

was from the Stinking Fishwife's blog.

The rest appears to be JMarie's reaction to it, and I agree.

I be the TH would never criticize a straight woman who married her childhood sweetheart (and served at his feet!) for still acting like a child.

Guest Anonymous

I think it was a quote fail. This:

was from the Stinking Fishwife's blog.

The rest appears to be JMarie's reaction to it, and I agree.

I be the TH would never criticize a straight woman who married her childhood sweetheart (and served at his feet!) for still acting like a child.

Gotcha. Thanks for sorting me out thoughtful, I was quite confused. Sorry JMarie, I was wondering why you had abruptly gone off the deep end. I'm glad it was actually a formatting problem!

When I read Ride's obit, I didn't think one way or the other about her personal life. I was, however, sad that cancer claimed yet another person.

Gotcha. Thanks for sorting me out thoughtful, I was quite confused. Sorry JMarie, I was wondering why you had abruptly gone off the deep end. I'm glad it was actually a formatting problem!

You're welcome. Formatting -- that's the word I was trying to remember, and couldn't!

:lol:

Archived