IGNORED

Stinking Fishwife on Sally Ride

Sumeri

So glad you got the reference.

Although, I can't imagine the fishwife being intelligent, let alone hyper-intelligent.

If TH is actually a woman, and genuinely speaking her mind, she is bizarre beyond my ability to comprehend.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So glad you got the reference.

Although, I can't imagine the fishwife being intelligent, let alone hyper-intelligent.

If TH is actually a woman, and genuinely speaking her mind, she is bizarre beyond my ability to comprehend.

<========= See avatar. I'm not going to miss a Hitchhiker's reference. :mrgreen:

I imagine the mice have the SL in quite a maze, with no towel or Ford Prefect to save her/him/it from Earth's impending doom. I'll drink a pangalactic gargleblaster (at the Restaurant @ the end of the universe, of course) to that!

Oh yes! If only Sally Ride had never gone to space, then she could have married a nice man and supported him while he... went to space?! And she could have inspired her children so that they could one day... go to space?!

The problem is not that the logic is head-spinning, it's that the logic is lacking completely.

riffles

So true!

I see that problem a lot in fundie statements. They don't think women should do things, but they should support their husbands or have children...why...so that they can do those things...why bother? Just do it yourself. Or just have children and don't encourage them to do anything, which is what these guys do. It makes no sense.

How long does it take a fundie woman to change a lightbulb?

10 years. That's how long it takes to get pregnant, have a son, and then wait for him to be tall enough.

Okay, that's it. That's the clincher for me. TH clearly is man, and a troll at that...

Only men could be so self-centred as to think a woman would become an astronaut just to meet men (because that's all we want to do EVAH).

Honestly I surprised at how many people think that a woman is not capable of this level of assholeness.

Honestly I surprised at how many people think that a woman is not capable of this level of assholeness.

I agree. I think that the "thinking housewife" is indeed a woman. A woman trying to justify her existence. If I had to guess I'd say her house is a mess, her husband is a jerk, and her kids are stupid beyond belief. Her blog is the way that she escapes into a fantasy world where she's rewarded for her life as a trashy nobody. I will say this, it takes quite an imagination to take Sally Ride's life and turn it into a colossal failure, the Stinking Lousewife certainly does have a talent for spin. She should apply for a job at Fox News :-)

I agree. I think that the "thinking housewife" is indeed a woman. A woman trying to justify her existence. If I had to guess I'd say her house is a mess, her husband is a jerk, and her kids are stupid beyond belief. Her blog is the way that she escapes into a fantasy world where she's rewarded for her life as a trashy nobody. I will say this, it takes quite an imagination to take Sally Ride's life and turn it into a colossal failure, the Stinking Lousewife certainly does have a talent for spin. She should apply for a job at Fox News :-)

I totally agree, but keep her AWAY from Faux News. I shudder to think of the kind of massive fan base she'd accrue.

I read the post, and got SO MAD I had to turn the internet off and walk away. Sally Ride was an inspiration to me, and to so many MORE of my peers. It's the same kind of dismissive shit I heard while within the fundy fold about MLK & Malcolm X.

in discussing this specific post with my headship, I decided that the Stinking Lousewife must be trolling the fuck out of the internet. No one could really believe that nonsense.

Guest Anonymous

I absolutely believe that women are capable of achieving the heights of asshattery, there's just too much evidence for me to discount that this particular blog is written by Lawrence Auster. It's nothing to do with thinking that a woman can't be a sexist trainwreck, and everything to do with the writing styles, blog set ups, topics, newspapers that said topics are drawn from, etc.

Whoever it is, I'd like to see him/her try to give this Sally Ride entry as a talk at Smith. It would not end well.

"The only good reason for a normal woman to go through the grueling rigors of becoming an astronaut is that NASA is a great place to meet men. Ride’s life, however, does not even offer that slim hope to little girls, that wonderful compensation for dreary days in a control cabin. Ride flew into space but never experienced other thrills that are as great or far greater. She never gave a man such necessary and life-sustaining love that he was able to do great things, such as fly into space. She never looked up at the stars with her own children and encouraged their wonder. She did not pass on her love of space to a son or daughter or grandchild."

She's a miserable woman, isn't she?

http://www.thinkinghousewife.com/wp/201 ... ally-ride/

Gotta get to work, so I've only read this first post, but I just gotta say (and I only cuss under extreme circumstances) ... What THE FUCK???? Giving control to another human being to run your life for you and do all your thinking is better than going INTO FUCKING SPACE??????????????????

I think someone is jealous. :mrgreen:

<========= See avatar. I'm not going to miss a Hitchhiker's reference. :mrgreen:

I expected you to respond! :D

Every time I see your avatar, I think "this person knows the answer to life, the universe and everything!"

Unlike Laura/Laurence.

How long does it take a fundie woman to change a lightbulb?

10 years. That's how long it takes to get pregnant, have a son, and then wait for him to be tall enough.

:lol: :cry: at the same time.

Well, we have examples ranging from Kidist to Ann Coulter to prove that they can. However, they are real people, whose existence can be verified. "Laura Wood" seems to be a sock puppet of Lawrence Auster. The writing and phrases are similar. We also don't see fundie female bloggers who spend so much time talking about the value of husband and limitless children in the abstract, without any reference to her own.

The blog doesn't follow the typical fundie patterns. There isn't obvious mental illness, as in Kidist's case. "Laura Wood" is not a media personality looking to be controversial in order to market her brand. There's no serious "thinking" - it's just all rants and bald "this is what women should do to serve men" statements. Every single post is just pure women-hatred (with occasional side servings of racism). The only point of passion seems to be the idea that men could face any deprivation, or receive something less than total support from women. There's no sympathy anywhere for a female POV. The more typical fundie woman's POV may be warped, but there's something there - some expression of feeling, some sense of value in their role, some evidence of struggle at times.

Instead, the psychological profile that I see is that of a man who would blame women and feminism for any failures in life. He is single, and resents women. He has this fantasy of what life would be like with a woman to serve him, and is pissed off as hell that no woman is willing to do that for him in reality.

If a woman's only motivation for going into the NASA program is to meet a man than why bother. there are many easier ways to meet a man than joining the space program.

Sally Ride may not have passed on her love of space to a child or grandchild but she did pass it on to thousands of other children. She helped girls realize that they could succeed in science and math. Women in general have made some huge contributions to science, math and medicine.

My generation was probably the first (and so far, the last) in which little girls were encouraged and even pushed to explore STEM fields. Remember the PSAs about it? And that commercial with the song "To know the world from A to Z, Discover Science and Technology!" There were boys and girls in those commercials, which were partt of ultra-conservative Reagan's push to get more American scientists. Until I hit Lutheran school, my family and teachers never made me feel like I was different because I was female. I was gifted, so the assumption was college and career. How the world has changed! Now very few American children get any real science because science is the enemy.

When I was little, there were female astronauts and I really looked up to them. I wanted to be one until the Challenger thing. Everyone could have told me until they were blue in the face that I could be anything I wanted, but growing up seeing women at the top of one of the most challenging fields on the globe certainly had its impact. I guess that is the legacy of Sally Ride and others. A lot of little girls were watching her kick ass and thinking, "maybe when I am a woman, I will kick ass also."

eta: I just thought of this: remember when the scientists were the heros? They were the smartest people ever, in labs making discoveries that would make us healthier, happier, and safer. It's been a long time since someone in a white lab coat was held up as a role model for American children. What went wrong? I don't think it was just my parents; I saw this in school and on television.

Lousewife is a total cunt. In her view all women should be barefoot and pregnant and probably all minorities except self-hating model minorities like Kidist shoudl be rounded up in a pen somewhere. I'm not kiding, she is a total racist and is totally against any race mixing. (seriously go read her posts labeled race but warning you may lose your appetite http://www.thinkinghousewife.com/wp/category/race/)

Her logic is beyond stupid. Becoming an astronaut is incredible competitive and they only take the absolute best of the best. Plenty of women were inspired by Sally Ride even if she didn't run out and become an astronaut herself. I admire her and other astronauts greatly and I support the Nasa space program. I think she makes a great role model for children.

Does the Lousewife ever have comments open? Seems like there are always a few comments and the comments are listed as closed. Am I right in saying that whatever the Louswife is that it creates its own comments?

Guest Anonymous
Speaking of sexual orientation and race, apparently Sally Ride and her sister, Bear, are lesbians because their mom praised Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.thinkinghousewife.com/wp/201 ... -dead-end/

There isn't even an attempt to link up the logic here. She writes:

'What went wrong in this “all-American family?†Here’s a clue. The mother Joyce was known for her “groundbreaking Sunday School lessons about the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and the civil rights movements to the little children there.â€'

What is that? She doesn't even attempt to put the two things together. The mother taught a Sunday School class about Martin Luther King and so the two daughters became lesbians? Here's a clue! Flawless, flawless bullshit.

There isn't even an attempt to link up the logic here. She writes:

What is that? She doesn't even attempt to put the two things together. The mother taught a Sunday School class about Martin Luther King and so the two daughters became lesbians? Here's a clue! Flawless, flawless bullshit.

Laura Wood logic:

Martin Luther King = black man + civil rights leader + happened in the sixties therefore = birth of second wave feminism which bred nothing but man hating lesbians who want to travel to space in order to take all of the millions of NASA jobs away from nice hardworking men who will never see dreams fulfilled due to all of the above.

Or something like that. Honestly, she makes my head spin.

edited because I do know the difference between first and second.

This is the part that tripped me up the most:

Ride flew into space but never experienced other thrills that are as great or far greater. She never gave a man such necessary and life-sustaining love that he was able to do great things, such as fly into space.

So, it's a great thing to fly into space, but it's as great or greater to support someone else flying into space. If it's a greater thrill to support than to actually accomplish, wasn't Sally Ride doing the kinder, more selfless thing by pursuing her career and allowing her partner Tam to have the greater role of supporting her? By this logic, wouldn't it have been selfish for Ride to abandon her career, marry a man, and stay at home, since she would be usurping the greater reward for herself? Uh...

monty-python-my-brain-hurts-4001113-726550.jpg

To her credit, Ride did not make her lesbianism public and was private about her personal life in general. Her sister and the woman with whom she had a relationship, Tam O’Shaughnessy, have released the information to the world and now Ride has the double distinction of being both the first woman and the first lesbian in space. O’Shaughnessy was Ride’s friend since the age of 12. Ride was briefly married to another astronaut, but they were divorced. So while Ride accomplished much in her career, thanks in part to the spirit of affirmative action, she seems to have never fully emerged from childhood.

What happens to people who marry their opposite gender elementary school or high school sweethearts? Do those people never emerge from their childhoods?

eta: I just thought of this: remember when the scientists were the heros? They were the smartest people ever, in labs making discoveries that would make us healthier, happier, and safer. It's been a long time since someone in a white lab coat was held up as a role model for American children. What went wrong? I don't think it was just my parents; I saw this in school and on television.

Actually, I think you're right, I get the impression people were more keen on scientists and discoveries maybe 20-30 years ago than now, it's like we're going backwards after a brief moment of improvement. But there are still lots of people working on things and discovering things :)

Archived