IGNORED

Stinking Fishwife on Sally Ride

Sumeri

"The only good reason for a normal woman to go through the grueling rigors of becoming an astronaut is that NASA is a great place to meet men. Ride’s life, however, does not even offer that slim hope to little girls, that wonderful compensation for dreary days in a control cabin. Ride flew into space but never experienced other thrills that are as great or far greater. She never gave a man such necessary and life-sustaining love that he was able to do great things, such as fly into space. She never looked up at the stars with her own children and encouraged their wonder. She did not pass on her love of space to a son or daughter or grandchild."

She's a miserable woman, isn't she?

www.thinkinghousewife.com/wp/2012/07/th ... ally-ride/

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

I really doubt it. I remain firmly convinced that "she" is Lawrence Auster, a miserable man.

"She never gave a man such necessary and life-sustaining love that he was able to do great things, such as fly into space. "

Words fail me. Because, you know, Ride actually got to go into space herself and we have to make sure the menfolk get to do all the important stuff.

This was of course a ridiculous statement. How many little girls had ever wanted to be astronauts?

Raises hand.

I even have pictures of me dressing up like an "astronaut." My favorite trip (we lived in Fl at the time) was go to Cape Canaveral, my mom loves to tell me how i said no to Disney World, because I wanted to go the Kennedy Space Center. (Or this tiny theme park called Boardwalks and Baseball, but I digress).

I stopped wanting to go to space around the same time I realized that i would be peeing in a space suit. I also was told that women couldn't go to space because they had periods. :roll:

Oh and what a bitch. Why can't these people see that not every person is the same?

I really doubt it. I remain firmly convinced that "she" is Lawrence Auster, a miserable man.

Yeah, I go back and forth with that. Maybe I am just hoping she is really Lawrence Auster so I don't have to admit to myself that such a hateful, misogynistic woman exists and has fans.

Raises hand.

Me too! when I was little I had Peter Max bedding (because I'm old) with the astronaut pattern and thought I was just the coolest kid on the block.

Obviously "thinking" housewife never did her homework. Sally Ride did marry, a man, who was also an astronaut and spent 770 hours in space (of which two of the missions occurring while the two were still married). So obviously being married to an astronaut didn't inhibit Steven Hawley's ability to "fly into space". She also encouraged the wonder of hundreds, possibly thousands, of other children (my sister and I included), far more than this blogger ever did!

Well, fuck her. Screw the bit about not inspiring any little girls. I totally wanted to be an astronaut as a kid. As did many of my female friends.

Ride was married to a man - another astronaut even. She did necessarily and life sustaining things for him, but she still gave up penis. Deal with it.

ETA: Canadianhippe beat me to it! Apparently 'flying in space' turns women gay.

My daughter doesn't want to be an astronaut. (Right now, she wants to be a surgeon.) But she is fascinated by Ride. I encourage this and her fascination with anything that promotes the idea the my daughter gets to control her own fate, much like Ride did. I find Fishwife and her ilk distasteful in the extreme. The lifelong infantilism of women is harmful to society, perverted, and just plain stupid. So, really, Laura/Lawrence, what we need is less of you and more of Ride.

Ugh. Her comments remind me of the speech Adlai Stevenson gave to graduating class at Smith College...in 1955.

Well, honestly, I never wanted to be an astronaut when I was a little girl.

I did, however, want to be a firefighter and a paramedic.

So I became one, and my mostly masculine profession hasn't hindered a happy marriage and two lovely children.

Well, fuck her. Screw the bit about not inspiring any little girls. I totally wanted to be an astronaut as a kid. As did many of my female friends.

Same here. She and that teacher who died on the Challenger were inspirations to me when I was growing up.

"The only good reason for a normal woman to go through the grueling rigors of becoming an astronaut is that NASA is a great place to meet men. Ride’s life, however, does not even offer that slim hope to little girls, that wonderful compensation for dreary days in a control cabin. Ride flew into space but never experienced other thrills that are as great or far greater. She never gave a man such necessary and life-sustaining love that he was able to do great things, such as fly into space. She never looked up at the stars with her own children and encouraged their wonder. She did not pass on her love of space to a son or daughter or grandchild."

http://www.thinkinghousewife.com/wp/201 ... ally-ride/

Oh, yeah, like a woman is going to go to school and complete grueling training to go to meet a man? WTH?

And why should she give love to someone else so they can do what she was perfectly capable and willing to do herself?

I don't even. Words don't even...

Ben Franklin said Guests and Fish smell after three days. I've been on her blog three seconds and I'm utterly nauseated. Are we sure she's not a parody?

Me too! when I was little I had Peter Max bedding (because I'm old) with the astronaut pattern and thought I was just the coolest kid on the block.

Same here. I went so far as to get a degree in engineering with the hope that I could someday make it into the astronaut corp. It's no longer my dream, but it did motivate me to get into a science/math based field.

*squints*

That doesn't even make any SENSE. I'm trying to wrap my mind around what she's trying to say, but I can't even manage to figure it out long enough to argue against it. Each individual word makes sense, but the worldview is totally alien.

Are we sure she's NOT an alien? Say, one engaged in a hugely pointless social experiment on us puny humans?

Me too. Which is why I can't take anything "she" says seriously, no matter how egregious. It's just a troll blog.

I mean, come on: the only reason to become an astronaut is to meet men? I was laughing from the first line.

Bolding is mine.

http://www.thinkinghousewife.com/wp/201 ... ally-ride/

:obscene-birdiered::obscene-birdiered:

She may not have passed on her love of space to any children or grandchildren of her own, but she sure as hell shared it with and passed it on to many more children. That's an even more far-reaching impact than passing it on to one's own children.

Imagine the reaction from louse wife if she knew Ride was *whispers* gay.
S/he knows. S/he posits that never matured past childhood because of/as evidenced by her relationship with her childhood friend.

Archived