IGNORED

Christian Reconstructionism And Slavery. What?!

debrand

http://www.conservapedia.com/Christian_ ... ructionism

I'm not breaking the link because it isn't to someone's personal blog.

While looking for an article on LAF's views on communion, I came across this article.

Many Christian Reconstructionists advocate the reinstitution of slavery as a punishment for non-capital offenses. Rushdoony has written, "The law here is human and also unsentimental. It recognizes that some people are by nature slaves and will always be so. It both requires that they be dealt with in a godly manner and also that the slave recognize his position and accept it with grace.†What this “position†would involve is explained by David Chilton in his book, “Productive Christians in an Age of Guilt.â€

“Slaves have no economic incentive to work, since they cannot improve their situation regardless of how hard they labor. Therefore the master is allowed to provide that incentive by beating them (Exodus 21:20-27... The law limited the master, however. If he murdered his slave, he was executed (Exodus 21:20). On the other hand, if the slave survived a beating and died a day or two later, there was no punishment (Exodus 21:21); there was no evidence that the master had actually intended to murder him. Again, this risk was a serious incentive against enslaving oneself. God did not want men to heedlessly abandon their freedom, and this law would tend to keep men working hard and living responsibly in order to avoid the threat of losing their liberty and civil rights. Relatively minor but permanent injuries (such as the loss of an eye or a tooth) resulted in the slave's freedom (Exodus 21:26-27). This was also an economic incentive to keep the master from hitting the slave in the face, since a heavy blow could mean the loss of his ‘investment.’ Naturally, this law protected slaves from severe mutilation.†[4]

What the hell? I knew that they tried to glorify the south's past, I had no idea that some of them wanted a return to slavery. :o This is just evil.

It doesn't surprise me at all. Slavery is the ultimate control of someone. If your wife doesn't want to live the lifestyle that you have chosen, she can legally leave. If your children don't like it, they can leave at 18. If you have an employee that you try to control, they can quit. A slave? No ability to leave, ever.

Is that really true? How can that be true? That's worse than evil.

Us vs. them and "we are the elite" thinking leads to seeing other people as not really people - and *all* manifestations of that kind of thinking are evil, starting with the disgusting way women and kids are treated in patriarchy. This is an extreme extension. It's horrific.

OMG it is true. http://www.religioustolerance.org/reconstr3.htm

They also want to execute people like me (for following a non-Christian rligion), preferably by stoning, and anyone they can convict of "adultery, blasphemy, heresy, homosexual behavior, idolatry, prostitution, evil sorcery".

:( I think heresy is completely ignoring all those things your founder said. You know, stuff like "Love your neighbor as yourself", "Love your enemies, do good to them...and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked". It would take God to feel kindly towards people who spout this kind of hatred.

Let me guess who they think deserves to be a slave black people that's a given, illegal immigrents and welfare recipients would probably fall under their umbrella of people who would benifit from enslavement. Do they not undetstand their own God had issues with slavery he punished Egypt rather severely for refusing to free the Hebrew slaves. What's worse is how they're rationalizing owning a person and abusing them as okay as long as you don't outright kill them, but hey it's okay if they linger in agony from their injuries for a few days, it's not murder if they are unlucky enough to still be breathing when you're done beating them. What kind of sick fuck wants to go back to this kind of barbarity?

I can only imagine what these upstanding, Christian patriarchal slave owners would get up to with their female slaves. They'd probably decide since Solomon had concubines it was okay with God if they forced their female slaves to give them a quiverful of children who could never leave because daddy owned them. The wives of course might not like their husband's infidelity, they'd probably love having someone else take care of the house and all the kids. It's scary to contemplate how far backwards these so called Christians want to take society.

Let me guess who they think deserves to be a slave black people that's a given, illegal immigrents and welfare recipients would probably fall under their umbrella of people who would benifit from enslavement. Do they not undetstand their own God had issues with slavery he punished Egypt rather severely for refusing to free the Hebrew slaves. What's worse is how they're rationalizing owning a person and abusing them as okay as long as you don't outright kill them, but hey it's okay if they linger in agony from their injuries for a few days, it's not murder if they are unlucky enough to still be breathing when you're done beating them. What kind of sick fuck wants to go back to this kind of barbarity?

I can only imagine what these upstanding, Christian patriarchal slave owners would get up to with their female slaves. They'd probably decide since Solomon had concubines it was okay with God if they forced their female slaves to give them a quiverful of children who could never leave because daddy owned them. The wives of course might not like their husband's infidelity, they'd probably love having someone else take care of the house and all the kids. It's scary to contemplate how far backwards these so called Christians want to take society.

Vision Forum and Ladies Against Feminism all follow Rushdoony. I knew that they made excuses for the south during the Civil War, I had no idea they wanted to bring back slavery. No wonder they always act so superior to everyone else.

Here are some bible verses about the treatment of female slaves. It certainly sounds like they could be raped or forcibly married to their masters.

Exodus 21

7 “ If a man sells his daughter as a female slave, she is not to [e]go free as the male slaves [f]do. 8 If she is [g]displeasing in the eyes of her master [h]who designated her for himself, then he shall let her be redeemed. He does not have authority to sell her to a foreign people because of his unfairness to her. 9 If he designates her for his son, he shall deal with her according to the custom of daughters. 10 If he takes to himself another woman, he may not reduce her [j]food, her clothing, or her conjugal rights. 11 If he will not do these three things for her, then she shall go out for nothing, without payment of money.

Leviticus 19:20-22

20 ‘ Now if a man lies carnally with a woman who is a slave acquired for another man, but who has in no way been redeemed nor given her freedom, there shall be punishment; they shall not, however, be put to death, because she was not free. 21 He shall bring his guilt offering to the Lord to the doorway of the tent of meeting, a ram for a guilt offering. 22 The priest shall also make atonement for him with the ram of the guilt offering before the Lord for his sin which he has committed, and the sin which he has committed will be forgiven him.

Deuteronomy 21:10-14 "When thou goest forth to war against thine enemies, and the Lord thy God hath delivered them into thine hands, and thou hast taken them captive, And seest among the captives a beautiful woman, and hast a desire unto her, that thou wouldest have her to thy wife; Then thou shalt bring her home to thine house; and she shall shave her head, and pare her nails; And she shall put the raiment of her captivity from off her, and shall remain in thine house, and bewail her father and her mother a full month: and after that thou shalt go in unto her, and be her husband, and she shall be thy wife. And it shall be, if thou have no delight in her, then thou shalt let her go whither she will; but thou shalt not sell her at all for money, thou shalt not make merchandise of her, because thou hast humbled her."

Secondly, people were successfully educated for centuries out of their homes and out of private, one-room schoolhouses.

People have also been successfully educated in universities for centuries. There is a reason Harvard is still standing and one room schoolhouses are not.

I know she's advocating for privatized education and many prestigious universities are private but at the same time, whether public or private, schools bring different people together. Even if the differences are slight, knowing and learning with people outside your home opens you up to new ideas and concepts. If learning is only perpetuating the same knowledge from one generation to the next, with little to no new perspectives, then this country is going to fail HARD. Whether home schooled or not, we live in a global society and it's really important to recognize this. The fact that this was posted on the INTERNET is proof alone of how connected the world is today.

crosed, I think that you posted on the wrong thread. LOL

http://www.religiondispatches.org/archi ... 99/beck%E2

Almost everyone who posts on this forum-if not everyone- would become a slave. Most of us would not meet Christian Reconstructionists' definition of Christian.

It boggles my mind. From now on, when I see photos of the Botkin sisters or Doug Philips' family, I'm going to remember that these people want to enslave most Americans.

I can't imagine how someone could think that beating another person would be okay, unless they died during the beating. But a couple days later, all is ok.

Sociopaths, all of 'em.

I can't imagine how someone could think that beating another person would be okay, unless they died during the beating. But a couple days later, all is ok.

Sociopaths, all of 'em.

They take the very simplistic view that the Bible is inerrant, and so if there are rules spelled out for HOW to properly keep slaves in the Bible, then clearly keeping slaves is okay, regardless of what you liberal secular humanists might think about it. :naughty:

God said to so it's okay, and furthermore, the more "out there" they can get in saying that they will do behaviors X Y and Z which clearly go against modern "enlightened" social norms because they follow the Bible and God only, the more points they get among their fellow radical believers. Such daring!

I recently read William and Ellen Craft's book on escaping from slavery in Georgia in 1849. Some of what they describe sounds exactly like these reconstructionists:

I have known slaves to be beaten to death, but as they died under "moderate correction," it was quite lawful; and of course the murderers were not interfered with.

The great majority of slaveholders hate this class of persons with a hatred that can only be equalled by the condemned spirits of the infernal regions. They have no mercy upon, nor sympathy for, any negro whom they cannot enslave. They say that God made the black man to be a slave for the white, and act as though they really believed that all free persons of colour are in open rebellion to a direct command from heaven, and that they (the whites) are God's chosen agents to pour out upon them unlimited vengeance.

Judge Scalaway… addressed her as follows: 'Margaret Douglass, stand up. You are guilty of one of the vilest crimes that ever disgraced society; and the jury have found you so. You have taught a slave girl to read in the Bible. No enlightened society can exist where such offences go unpunished. The Court, in your case, do not feel for you one solitary ray of sympathy, and they will inflict on you the utmost penalty of the law. In any other civilized country you would have paid the forfeit of your crime with your life, and the Court have only to regret that such is not the law in this country. The sentence for your offence is, that you be imprisoned one month in the county jail, and that you pay the costs of this prosecution.'

And sexual violence against slave women was rampant and horrific.

It is a common practice in the slave States for ladies, when angry with their maids, to send them to the calybuce sugar-house, or to some other place established for the purpose of punishing slaves, and have them severely flogged; and I am sorry it is a fact, that the villains to whom those defenceless creatures are sent, not only flog them as they are ordered, but frequently compel them to submit to the greatest indignity.

(I've quoted horrible parts, but the book is really inspiring – Ellen Craft's bravery is astounding (she disguised herself as an ill white man with William in attendance to care for her and they made it through to Philadelphia taking public railways.)) http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/585

WARNING. Do not go to the conservapedia website on the link above. Or via any link. The site is known for downloading malware onto your computer. Mine is now infected If you followed the link, run a virus and spyware scan NOW.

Archived