IGNORED

Promise (purity) Ring from "Daddy" for Seven Sisters

holierthanyou

This weekend the Seven Sisters posted about Rebekah's 13th birthday. Of course we are all treated to a bjillion photos.

Including these two lovely ones below... Ready for the squickiest part of this purity ring saga? Apparently "Daddy" gave Rebekah this purity ring on her 13th birthday because back at Christmas she gave him a 'gift' of a key with a message asking him to keep/lock her heart or something.... shudder.

oh yes I saw this, and mean't to post!

Last Christmas Rebekah gave Daddy a box with a key a little note in it, asking him to protect her heart. In return, Daddy got her a promise ring…

…with a promise that he will keep and protect her heart. This is a very special gift that each of us girls have received from Daddy…

I also thought the gifts being linked to scipture were a bit, I dunno kinda of 'know your place woman!' in a way... probably just me :roll:

Mommy always likes to get us gifts that represent parts of Proverbs 31…here Rebekah got a ruby necklace for â€Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies!†Proverbs 31:10

And a gardening set for verse 16, “She considereth a field and buyeth it, and with the fruit of her hands she planted a vineyard.â€

The ring looks quite tarnished! Definitely bought from a pawn shop or second hand place. Not that it matters, but you would think they would have at least gave it a bit of a polish themselves, or put it into somewhere for a nice polish.

Yeah, I think this post proves that the parents are responsible for repressing the children. I just can't agree with the people who insist that living this lifestyle is all the choice of the daughters and they do it just because they want to. No, their parents are making them live this lifestyle and are as much a part of it as the children, even if the mom does sometimes wear tight sweatpants.

the ring looked like it had given away pieces of it's hearts.

It just seems like they managed to have a tea party that was more like a 4 year old playing with her dolls, and not so much like a teenager having a birthday party. There were points where the pictures jumped around, when they could have posted half as many and told a much more succinct story about, whatever that was. Generally I like reading Seven Sisters' blog, but this is an example of less is more.

(Also, I was a little disappointing when I scrolled to the end and there was no picture of her getting her head covering in some sort of ceremony. Maybe it's because I had a Bat Mitzvah, so I expected it to lead up to something.)

Their father looks surprisingly young to have a 25 year old daughter.

Having daughters who expose their calves (the human leg type) and run amok with boys ages you. Having daughters who wait on you and your calves (the farm animal cow type) keeps the worry lines away. And you get to go out and have a facial while your daughters are locked away at home knitting and baking.

oh yes I saw this, and mean't to post!

I also thought the gifts being linked to scipture were a bit, I dunno kinda of 'know your place woman!' in a way... probably just me :roll:

That second verse sounds an awful lot like a woman working... :shock:

Yep; that's how I've always read it. The Proverbs 31 woman is a bad-a@@! Overfunctioning, yes, but one who is granted freedom to help *the family* - definitely. Nothing close to what the fundy ideal is. She's got a mind of her own and is a partner with her husband (though even in Prov. 31, it's a supportive role)

It just seems like they managed to have a tea party that was more like a 4 year old playing with her dolls, and not so much like a teenager having a birthday party. There were points where the pictures jumped around, when they could have posted half as many and told a much more succinct story about, whatever that was. Generally I like reading Seven Sisters' blog, but this is an example of less is more.

(Also, I was a little disappointing when I scrolled to the end and there was no picture of her getting her head covering in some sort of ceremony. Maybe it's because I had a Bat Mitzvah, so I expected it to lead up to something.)

Maybe the headcovering starts at menarche, like for many Muslim cultures?

The seven sisters disturb me on such a visceral level- the whole blissful ignorance/mommy & daddy thing is just so off. Possibly because their name ALWAYS makes me think of the seven sisters colleges, which are diametrically opposed to everything these childwomen stand for. Shipping them off to Mount Holyoke or Bryn Mawr would do them a world of good.

We played a couple of games, one of them being a tea smelling contest  We had five different plastic bags numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 and the girls took turns smelling the tea bags before writing down on a piece of paper what flavors they thought each of them were

Funny my girls love playing this game too!!!!! Once my 11 year old confused Darjeeling tea with Earl Grey. Chaos erupted, we still laugh about it. How can one possibly mistake DARJEELING with EARL GREY!?!?

Is it a regional thing to have lettuce in your fruit salad? Cause that just looks like ewww to me.

We played a couple of games, one of them being a tea smelling contest  We had five different plastic bags numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 and the girls took turns smelling the tea bags before writing down on a piece of paper what flavors they thought each of them were

Funny my girls love playing this game too!!!!! Once my 11 year old confused Darjeeling tea with Earl Grey. Chaos erupted, we still laugh about it. How can one possibly mistake DARJEELING with EARL GREY!?!?

:lol: :lol: :lol: you should try it with different coffees! oh the laughs that will ensue!

I find it creepily foreboding that in the pic of the ring, it tightly holds a rose SHUT. Get it? THe restriction of blossoming flowers? Delicate petals held back from flowering? But one petal cockily peeks through. I hope that at least one of them find a good lay in her lifetime.

edited to add: One good lay that is 100% NOT Daddy- approved. :romance-heartbeating:

I'm not sure why this family feels the need to have purity ring ceremonies. First of all, when do they ever come into contact with unrelated males? Never, it would appear. (I could be wrong--I don't regularly read their blog.) Second, even the 25-year-old sister seems to have zippity-doo-dah interest in men (and generally acts like a preteen, anyway), so what makes them think there is any danger of their 13-year-old "giving her heart away"?

I'm not sure why this family feels the need to have purity ring ceremonies. First of all, when do they ever come into contact with unrelated males? Never, it would appear. (I could be wrong--I don't regularly read their blog.) Second, even the 25-year-old sister seems to have zippity-doo-dah interest in men (and generally acts like a preteen, anyway), so what makes them think there is any danger of their 13-year-old "giving her heart away"?

Unrelated males are still males :whistle:

Aside from the whole gross purity ring thing...that is such a weird party!

Like, I'm glad that she got to have an actual nice party with friends for her birthday...but why are they all such old ladies? It is not normal for 13-year-olds to get DOILIES for their birthday and to have fun by SMELLING TEA under the supervision of their parents for the fun party. They're all so weirdly old-fashioned.

The family are stuck in some kind of bizarre time warp.

They should read The Bronte Girls which is a novel about a pyscho dad making his family live like Victorians and needless to say it goes hideously wrong.

Oh lord. I saw the "Promise Ring" In the title and got really squicked out. Around here, a promise ring means "I promise to marry you someday" not "I'll keep you a little girl for the rest of your life and scare you into becoming an old maid".

Poor Rebekah though, She seems like such a sweet child, shame she has to have such idiots for parents. :( Free the Seven Sisters!

I feel like the Seven Sisters family, being on the periphery of VF/ATI, follow the 'traditions' but don't really understand them or the spirit behind them as they are SO sheltered.

Archived