IGNORED

Lina had a baby!

julie

Heh. 10 lbs sounds normal to me. My middle two (both 42+ weeks at delivery) were 9lb 15 oz and 10 lb 8 oz, respectively. It was the "smaller" one who we had issues with his shoulders, and you can see it in his build even now. They are tall and wirey now. You'd never guess they looked like tiny sumo wrestlers when they were born.

Given the time span, Lina had plenty of time to grow a 10 lb baby after they married. I'm curious if she went overdue? That's why my two big ones got so huge, But I have a friend who has never gone much past 40 w and has had several in the 9-10 lb range.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bumping an old thread to say:

If the friend knows the name the baby was at least 8 days old when she announced it. I'm assuming AJ & Lina waited until the bris to announce the name, and had the bris when the baby was 8 days old. I might be assuming a lot, I dunno...

I was a ten-pounder, as was my older brother. My mom had a C-section with me, but not with him.

Bumping an old thread to say:

If the friend knows the name the baby was at least 8 days old when she announced it. I'm assuming AJ & Lina waited until the bris to announce the name, and had the bris when the baby was 8 days old. I might be assuming a lot, I dunno...

Oh, that's because you're assuming something authentically Jewish from Lina&TT! :naughty: The name was known even while Lina was still pregnant (and it used to be the name TT used to post on Lina's blog).

And the brit could have been on the 5th day or the 10th day, because, ya'know, TT read the Talmud and discovered the Jews are doing it all wrong and he figured out the real date :roll:

Oh, and speaking of Lina:

Her FB page is locked, but if you click on the Wall it shows

RECENT ACTIVITY

"Does anyone know where I can buy a copy of LLL's Adventures in Gentle Discipline?" on Gentle Christian Mothers's timeline.

so at least she's not going with the Pearls, which is reassuring. But I don't have kids, so I leave the mothers out here to check the Gentle Christian Mothers' page.

Oh, that's because you're assuming something authentically Jewish from Lina&TT! :naughty: The name was known even while Lina was still pregnant (and it used to be the name TT used to post on Lina's blog).

And the brit could have been on the 5th day or the 10th day, because, ya'know, TT read the Talmud and discovered the Jews are doing it all wrong and he figured out the real date :roll:

who knows? she's not following tzinius anymore!

I realize that you can grow a 10lb. full term baby fairly often, but on a very restricted vegan diet? That's the part I'm finding hard to believe.

I think I found a picture of the little (big) guy and he is adorable. Facebook pictures that are public are okay right? I don't want to post something I shouldn't...

I realize that you can grow a 10lb. full term baby fairly often, but on a very restricted vegan diet? That's the part I'm finding hard to believe.

jeez vegans live well and make healthy babies! she might have eaten rice and lentils for a week but there rest was pretty balanced and had fats in there.

I don't know how you can have a 6lbs baby when eating McDo everyday - yet I am sure it happened more than once. /irony.

read more about vegan diets before ditching it.

jeez vegans live well and make healthy babies! she might have eaten rice and lentils for a week but there rest was pretty balanced and had fats in there.

I don't know how you can have a 6lbs baby when eating McDo everyday - yet I am sure it happened more than once. /irony.

I agree. I am a former vegan (was for five years; now just vegetarian). I personally don't think it is as hard as people make it out to be to live well on a vegan diet. You'll never convince me that humans are meant to drink the milk from other species, even though I do drink it now myself. I don't believe it is fundamental to good health. And it can be surprisingly easy to get your meat alternatives from nuts, legumes, beans, etc. Healthy fats can be found in avocados, nuts, spirulina (which is where fish get their Omega 3s from), flax...

I agree. I am a former vegan (was for five years; now just vegetarian). I personally don't think it is as hard as people make it out to be to live well on a vegan diet. You'll never convince me that humans are meant to drink the milk from other species, even though I do drink it now myself. I don't believe it is fundamental to good health. And it can be surprisingly easy to get your meat alternatives from nuts, legumes, beans, etc. Healthy fats can be found in avocados, nuts, spirulina (which is where fish get their Omega 3s from), flax...

Yes, a vegan diet can be perfectly capable of sustaining a pregnancy (even with a 10 pounder!). But the 'restricted' part is what made the big baby surprising for me - Lina has been known to have body image/food issues (I think there were rumors that she had struggled with anorexia, etc.), and also mentioned in her blog once at least (while pregnant) that food was a bit scarce when their paycheck ran out, or something similar.

Yes, a vegan diet can be perfectly capable of sustaining a pregnancy (even with a 10 pounder!). But the 'restricted' part is what made the big baby surprising for me - Lina has been known to have body image/food issues (I think there were rumors that she had struggled with anorexia, etc.), and also mentioned in her blog once at least (while pregnant) that food was a bit scarce when their paycheck ran out, or something similar.

Oh, okay. I'm not familiar enough with Lina to be able to speak to her specific eating habits.

1- we don't know how long that lasted. Obviously they had enough to pay for a photoshoot (might have been discounted). 2- the recipes she posted were balanced and healthy, portions made sense, 3- even if it's hard to struggle with anorexia, it's not impossible to heal from it, and when you displace the control to controlling what kind of food you eat - like knowing you're controlling animal intake - it can help tremendously. The anorexia bit is mostly knowing that it happened at some point several years ago with no idea how she deals with it now. She was followed by accredited midwives too. I don't think there's enough stuff she wrote that can really warrant the - she was not eating enough - bit. IMO.

1- we don't know how long that lasted. Obviously they had enough to pay for a photoshoot (might have been discounted). 2- the recipes she posted were balanced and healthy, portions made sense, 3- even if it's hard to struggle with anorexia, it's not impossible to heal from it, and when you displace the control to controlling what kind of food you eat - like knowing you're controlling animal intake - it can help tremendously. The anorexia bit is mostly knowing that it happened at some point several years ago with no idea how she deals with it now. She was followed by accredited midwives too. I don't think there's enough stuff she wrote that can really warrant the - she was not eating enough - bit. IMO.

Yeah I had my doubts, but she grew a huge healthy baby. Obviously her diet was fine.

Yeah I had my doubts, but she grew a huge healthy baby. Obviously her diet was fine.

Yes, I agree. I was just surprised at the size of her baby, due to past speculation about her eating (and didn't she say her midwife wanted her to gain more weight, and she had trouble doing so, as well?). I agree that it mustn't have been an issue.

Whoa, back up! When did I say vegans can't have healthy babies? I was referring to the fact that Lina was eating a very restricted diet. Sheesh, you're a bit touchy, aren't you?

A 10lb baby is not considered to be a 'normal' sized baby. That baby is macrosomic. And as a first, that doesn't bode well for subsequent pregnancies. I wonder if she had gestational diabetes. Some women fall through the cracks, and they recently lowered the limits on the definitive 3hr glucose test for pregnant women. I know the 1hr one is a screen, but it doesn't prove that there isn't GD, just if there *is* a reason to worry.

I wonder if the high birth rate means more monitoring and/or induction for subsequent pregnancies?

Not necessarily. Vegan diets can be perfectly adequate, but the fact that the baby was robust doesn't prove that hers was. Emaciated starvation victims often give birth to health enough babies. That's how babies grow, they take everything you have.

Not necessarily. Vegan diets can be perfectly adequate, but the fact that the baby was robust doesn't prove that hers was. Emaciated starvation victims often give birth to health enough babies. That's how babies grow, they take everything you have.

Yeah, I always thought the growth of the fetus had little to do with what the woman eats. If she has any fat on her body, the growing fetus will take it.

she did not look emaciated in the pictures unless I'm very blind...

Whoa, back up! When did I say vegans can't have healthy babies? I was referring to the fact that Lina was eating a very restricted diet. Sheesh, you're a bit touchy, aren't you?

well sorry, restricted was next to vegan could have been both ways. She said she had more limitations at one point and since she dropped out of the blogosphere then we have no idea if it was to finish the month or not. At the very least, before that she was eating very well... so I think it's kind of a shortcut to say she had a restricted diet. But I guess I interpreted your statement by my opinion that it was not restricted.

... I don't have kids, so I leave the mothers out here to check the Gentle Christian Mothers' page.

I've never been there myself, but jenny_islander has been a member for years.

10 lbs is not "normal" weight for a newborn but it can happen in an otherwise uneventful pregnancy. With the rise in gestational diabetes, we are just seeing larger babies in general. I don't see it as a happy trend as that increases obstructed births and early delivery but I don't know Lina's story so I'm not sure what, if there's any reason for her large baby.

I had an 11lb 12oz perfecctly healthy baby, no GD, normal pregnancy. It can happen!

she did not look emaciated in the pictures unless I'm very blind...

I wasn't saying that she was at all unhealthy, I was saying that a healthy-looking baby does not necessarily mean a healthy mother.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this thread because I was jonesing for some new Lina gossip and my poking around led me to "Azarayah's Birth Story": texasbirthcenter.com/news/azaryahs-birth-story/.

Not a lot details. Water birth at home with a candlelit ambiance. She didn't tear, due of course to her "healthful vegan diet."

Apologies if this has already been posted... I searched and didn't see it anywhere.

Archived