IGNORED

Lina had a baby!

julie

Lina's fellow Torah Observant friend, "TorahGirl," added this PS to the end of her most recent post:

PS: Congratulations to my friend Paulina Dodd and her husband AJ on the birth of their first child, a beautiful baby boy! {Azaryah Josiah Dodd, 10lbs!}

torahgirl.wordpress

(Doesn't Morgan seem generally more... erm... normal, compared to Lina?)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, the baby is actually called Azaryah? I thought that was just something that people were joking about here. "Azaryah Josiah" doesn't sound very good together.

That's a huge baby.

Azaryah = girls name in my mind. As in Azaria Chamberlain who was killed by a dingo in Aussie.

Wait, the baby is actually called Azaryah? I thought that was just something that people were joking about here. "Azaryah Josiah" doesn't sound very good together.

That's a huge baby.

Even though I know it's smilier to his posting name on her blog, one must wonder if we at FJ helped Lina to select her baby name. Hope he's healthy and she's doing well, after the delivery.

When was he born?

Azaryah = girls name in my mind. As in Azaria Chamberlain who was killed by a dingo in Aussie.

That's all I ever think of when I see it too.

Even though I know it's smilier to his posting name on her blog, one must wonder if we at FJ helped Lina to select her baby name. Hope he's healthy and she's doing well, after the delivery.

When was he born?

More important, when's the Briss?

Ok. Married 20sept. Baby born Thursday 19July at 10lb.

Not a shot gun wedding.

ETA: or it could have been according to the dates thats a 43weeks gap between wedding and birth. Pregnancies are anywhere from 40 -42weeks. Probably a honeymoon baby or maybe a week before wedding baby? The boy was 10pounds!

Well, that name is certainly Yah-some.

I also want to know if they're going to have some kind of a weird, Jesus-y bris and, if so, who they're going to drum up to do it.

Ten pounds seems really big for a baby. I'm not entirely convinced that it wasn't a shotgun wedding, and Lina just held off to announce the birth to her internet friends to make sure the math is right, because hey, how are they going to check?

Guest Anonymous

I also want to know if they're going to have some kind of a weird, Jesus-y bris and, if so, who they're going to drum up to do it.

Ten pounds seems really big for a baby. I'm not entirely convinced that it wasn't a shotgun wedding, and Lina just held off to announce the birth to her internet friends to make sure the math is right, because hey, how are they going to check?

My brother's religiously-motivated, very Christian, circumcision was done by a rabbi and was not unlike a bris. So, if my parents could find somebody in the phone book some 30 odd years ago, it should be no trouble now. Maybe having an actual rabbi perform the bris might give Lina and TT a sense of... reassurance? Inclusion? Slightly-less-fake-ness? To my mind, this is a good thing, because at least they would be getting someone who knows what they are doing, instead of one of their faux Jew cohorts who is making it up as they go along.

It's certainly better for the baby, obviously- the idea of having some random dude from their church do it or something is terrible. On the other hand, I don't think giving Lina and TT a sense of reassurance or inclusion is particularly desirable; they've both demonstrated that they're quite prepared to lie and be deceitful if it will allow them to do whatever they want and give them an in with the Jewish community in order to proselytize and lend themselves an air of legitimacy. I could absolutely see them saying, "Oh, of course we're really Jewish! We had Rabbi Such-and-such do little Azaryah's bris!" There's a very easy way for them to be reassured and included in the Jewish community if that's actually what they want: undergo a conversion and join a recognized denomination. But they won't do that, because they don't actually want to deal with the hassle of following any of the rules; they'd rather just do whatever the hell they want and tell everyone they're Orthodox Jews. It's much easier than actually being an Orthodox Jew.

I've heard of mohels who will do circumcisions for non-Jewish families that want them (and want a trained mohel to do it so they have someone who is very familiar with the medical side of the procedure performing the circumcision), but imagining a Jewish rabbi presiding over some kind of Christian faux bris equivalent seems really strange to me. But then, I think the whole practice of appropriating Jewish trappings because Christianity seems insufficiently exotic is kind of gross and not really any better than hanging up a bunch of dream catchers and declaring yourself an Ojibwa medicine man or something.

Guest Anonymous

Don't get me wrong, I was thinking only of the child. If a ridiculously misplaced feeling of inclusion is the bait needed to make sure that the baby is safe then I am fine with that (that said, I am not Jewish). Otherwise, the faux Jewish aspects utterly disgust me. I don't particularly want them to be reassured, I just don't want their child to be mangled as a result of their stupidity.

Not a shot gun wedding.

ETA: or it could have been according to the dates thats a 43weeks gap between wedding and birth. Pregnancies are anywhere from 40 -42weeks. Probably a honeymoon baby or maybe a week before wedding baby? The boy was 10pounds!

the first week is the week of the last period, so not a week before the wedding baby

On Messianic Keepers at Home, one of the posters said that some of the fathers in their fellowship or whatever perform circumcisions on their own sons. I can't even . . .

I don't think she managed to ask the birth center to withhold information.

My friend just had a son in november at a whopping 9lbs15oz

On Messianic Keepers at Home, one of the posters said that some of the fathers in their fellowship or whatever perform circumcisions on their own sons. I can't even . . .

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Don't get me wrong, I was thinking only of the child. If a ridiculously misplaced feeling of inclusion is the bait needed to make sure that the baby is safe then I am fine with that (that said, I am not Jewish). Otherwise, the faux Jewish aspects utterly disgust me. I don't particularly want them to be reassured, I just don't want their child to be mangled as a result of their stupidity.

I assumed that was the case, and I feel pretty much the same. The whole cultural appropriation bit is simultaneously absurd and offensive, but at least if they get an actual mohel to do the bris, the kid won't end up on the receiving end of some experimenting whacko with a knife, God forbid.

And did the birth center actually announce the baby's arrival? All I've seen are online friends of hers reporting the birth. If the birth center just randomly posted the information, how does that work, exactly? It seems like a gigantic HIPAA violation.

I assumed that was the case, and I feel pretty much the same. The whole cultural appropriation bit is simultaneously absurd and offensive, but at least if they get an actual mohel to do the bris, the kid won't end up on the receiving end of some experimenting whacko with a knife, God forbid.

And did the birth center actually announce the baby's arrival? All I've seen are online friends of hers reporting the birth. If the birth center just randomly posted the information, how does that work, exactly? It seems like a gigantic HIPAA violation.

They said "Welcome to the world big beautiful baby boy A! 10 pounds even...way to go mama!"

I can't believe they actually named him that, but then it is Lina, so everything is possible.

Still hope she and the baby get away from TT at some point in the near future. He always seemed like such a major creeper.

10 pounds is kind of big for a baby, but it's not unheard of. My cousin was 9 pounds 8 oz. when he was born. He was an enormous baby, and he's an enormous toddler now.

Not a shot gun wedding.

Just because Lina wasn't preggo when they got married, doesn't mean they didn't, as the fundies say, go too far before getting married.

My husband was 10lbs at birth.

His mom was 18, small-boned (part Chinese), and weighed at her heaviest maybe 125lbs. My husband got stuck midway through the birth and they had to yank him out with forceps. My mother-in-law nearly bled to death in the delivery room and says she actually remembers hovering above her body and choosing to go back into it because of her new baby.

After she had multiple transfusions and stitches, etc. etc., her doctor came into her room and said "See, Chinese women have no trouble having babies because they have little 5lb Chinese babies. You had trouble because you tried to deliver a big German baby through a little Chinese pelvis."

For all that I think Lina is nuttier than a fruitcake and needs to get away from TT ASAP, I wish her a speedy recovery and a happy first few months of motherhood.

10 pounds is kind of big for a baby, but it's not unheard of. My cousin was 9 pounds 8 oz. when he was born. He was an enormous baby, and he's an enormous toddler now.

My second son was born four days early, at 9lbs 13oz. He is average-size now, at 11yo.

The birth center I used posts deliveries on Facebook. I delivered my children with them before they had a FB page, so I'm not sure how it works. I imagine they have a consent form, but it honestly never occurred to me to be a HIPAA violation. I would be very surprised if Lina had consented to the birth center's FB announcement, unless it was, as someone said, without much identifying information.

My son was born two weeks early and was over 8lbs....I thought that was big enough! He's a normal sized toddler now. I was over 9lbs when I was born, two weeks late, but have always been average. I hope the best for them! And they get themselves straightened out before that baby becomes too aware of what's going on around him.

Just because Lina wasn't preggo when they got married, doesn't mean they didn't, as the fundies say, go too far before getting married.

yes and there is no awe to give to a couple who waited what a month? two months? to have sex. Yeah it's not impressive at all!

Archived