IGNORED

Because being Mormon fixes everything, right? right?

emmiedahl

I live in a community that is 90% Mormon have for over 25 yrs, Count and I run the rural health clinic. I have had the Bishop show up at the clinic wanting to know if someone is on birth control, why are we seeing them so offen, stuff like that. They never learn that we are not going to tell them anything about our pateints. When we first moved there they tried to convert us, it was very funny. Since they could not get one of their kind to come and provide medical care to them they werre struck with two liberal Jews, after all this time we still live there and everyone knows the ground rules.

Story about the child falling out of the car just has my head hurting.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting through this guy's blog and he sounds like a douche. I had to laugh at this quote

so challenge of my life right now. figuring out if someone is an indian (from india) or hispanic. It's really hard.

The term Hispanic isn't a racial term. I think Elder Douche Denton is probably referring to mestizo (mixed race) Hispanics who have dark skin when he talks about trying to figure out of if someone is Indian or not. I guess he must believe that all Hispanics in the United are mesitzos and they aren't. There isn't a specific way to look Hispanic. I hope he eventually goes to certain parts of the United States where there are white Hispanic communities. He'll probably be shocked that not all Hispanics are brown people.

I laughed at his blog posting about getting baptismal commits, he pretty much only see those as trophies.

This is pretty cringeworthy.

eldertcdenton.blogspot.com/2012/02/email.html

We got screamed at by a catholic yesterday. That was pretty cool. Dropped in on a less-active's birthday party that we didn't know existed, and found a couple hooligans in there watching some movie with Owen Wilson and Eddy Murphy in spanish. Eddy Murphy isn't half as funny in Spanish.... We taught the restoration, explained it clearly, and when we finished after about 30 minutes, a guy looks up at us and says "Terminaste?" (Meaning ya done?) Then started off by saying, "pues yo les creo, yo creo que jose esmith vio este angel o lo que sea, pero...." (well, I believe you. I believe that joseph esmith say this angel or whatever, but...............) then he proceeded to scream at us at high volumes, calling us liars, false prophets, servants of Satan, and blasphemers, so that was cool. We left, and I left him a piece of paper from my notebook with scriptures in the Bible that directly contradict what he was saying (men can't see God, [Ex 33:11 Acts 7:55-56] prophets can't possibly still be on the earth [Amos 3:7] along with others. He told me he'd read em but I doubt he will... He told us he has 6 bibles though, so that is coolish. The coolest part of this experience was the less-active defending us, and telling crazy catolico that he was wrong. So hopefully that'll strengthen her testimony or something. We'll see.

Guest Anonymous

Is the "cool" thing a result of a limited vocabulary?

Re "callings" that happened to my dad (Catholic church). There was an empty spot on one of the church boards/councils and the priest called him to say "your name came to me in prayer". My mom thought it was hilarious because she thought the priest just knew my dad was too nice to say no. While I haven't observed classism with this practice like with the Mormons, if you get that call from a priest it's hard to say no because God told him you should do it. I don't think anyone would shun you and I think most priests would understand if you are too busy to take on a big commitment, but the pressure is there. My parents didn't really believe it was God calling my dad through the priest, but my dad did feel like he should join because he was personally asked. It wasn't a huge commitment, so he's on that council now but it was a funny/interesting experience.

WTF at the mom and the girl holding on to the door of the car while it was moving. Yeah, real safe there. I am a stickler about car safety because my dad is a brain injury rehab doctor. I have heard way too many horror stories of things that could have been prevented if the person had just worn a seatbelt, used a car seat correctly, or avoided distractions like texting.

I find his senior pics the most interesting part especially the one where he seems to be biting/growling at the Book of Mormon? Yeah because that matches up with missionary work so well? LOL

I found a Mormon blog where they talked about possibly turning down callings. A couple of them admitted to either turning down or having to leave when the pressure was too much to then be replied to with people foaming at the mouth saying turning down a calling was turning down God, even when someone said that a priest had told them half the time it's to find someone to do it and not because God 'said' anything.

Load of SHITE.

I will translate. I am a good Mormon if I go away for a year and try convert people...I will have arrived in Mormonish circles. Girls will want me. My Mum will be proud. (Snarky aside. My Mum wanted me to go somewhere safe. I went to New York. New Yorkers have no access to literature, TV, History, Religion. They will be ready to see the light just like the poor Africans. Without Anthropolgie ..God love them)

Missionary? My arse.

We call that a 'Year out'

I found a Mormon blog where they talked about possibly turning down callings. A couple of them admitted to either turning down or having to leave when the pressure was too much to then be replied to with people foaming at the mouth saying turning down a calling was turning down God, even when someone said that a priest had told them half the time it's to find someone to do it and not because God 'said' anything.

Jeez, that's awful! I'm a non-Utah Mormon, so reading this is interesting, as it's very much not how my own ward works. I had to leave my calling early because of some severe health problems, and everyone was really cool and understanding, but that might be a cultural difference. Also, I'm confused about the toilets thing? I always assumed other wards worked the way mine does (each ward that uses a chapel has a month to clean, on a volunteer basis, once weekly). It's terrible if people are assigned a cleaning calling because of their socio-economic status, I didn't know other wards did that. Ours is more like a weekly breakfast or pizza party where everyone chips in to clean the chapel. Then again, I attend a ward in the most liberal city in my state, my Bishop supports Planned Parenthood, most of my church friends are pro-LGBT rights, etc. so this is probably just an outlier situation. Oh, and on my calling, I was the Relief Society Chorister, and when my health cooperates enough for me to go to church I still choose hymns and conduct, and on other weeks the other music students in my RS take over for me.

This guy and his mother make me ill. Honestly, I couldn't read her blog for long because of the slideshow at the side of his posed photos.

These two, unfortunately, have done nothing to decrease my level of intolerance for Mormons. It backs up the feelling I get when I encounter a pair of missionary kid "elders" and get the schpiel about the Golden Tablets. There have been a few times where a simple "no" just wasn't enough and they certainly didn't want to hear what I thought... If you're going to invade my space and tell me my beliefs are wrong then you better have the courtesy to at least listen to my POV or leave when I tell you that I'm not interested.

I'm sure they are not taught to be so aggressive, but when you send out a bunch of kids to convert the heathens and those kids have been taught that they know more than everyone else you're basically asking for them to be arrogant and aggressive.

There was a case in the 90s in Utah of some non-Mormon kids and their parents suing a pubic school district over what was basically forced prayer and intimidation in the school regarding graduation prayers. They won the case and the school was supposed to stop the public praying. The answer of the intolerant and hateful parents and students was to stand up during the graduation ceremony and sing a very religious song. I recall seeing the story on 20/20 with my mom. I still remember the hatefulness in the things that the parents said. Its not unlike the hatefulness this kid expresses on his blog. The joy he has in seeing someone else suffer from claustrophobia is just downright disgusting. If I wrote that and posted it online my mother wouldn't be "proud" of me she'd tell me she was ashamed of me and make me apologize. Then again we are all going to hell and this guy is going to get his own planet.... which honestly is where he belongs, on some isolated lonely planet far away from any other human being!

Jeez, that's awful! I'm a non-Utah Mormon, so reading this is interesting, as it's very much not how my own ward works. I had to leave my calling early because of some severe health problems, and everyone was really cool and understanding, but that might be a cultural difference. Also, I'm confused about the toilets thing? I always assumed other wards worked the way mine does (each ward that uses a chapel has a month to clean, on a volunteer basis, once weekly). It's terrible if people are assigned a cleaning calling because of their socio-economic status, I didn't know other wards did that. Ours is more like a weekly breakfast or pizza party where everyone chips in to clean the chapel. Then again, I attend a ward in the most liberal city in my state, my Bishop supports Planned Parenthood, most of my church friends are pro-LGBT rights, etc. so this is probably just an outlier situation. Oh, and on my calling, I was the Relief Society Chorister, and when my health cooperates enough for me to go to church I still choose hymns and conduct, and on other weeks the other music students in my RS take over for me.

Everyone can point out the bishop's house; it's always the biggest on the block. Classism is alive and well in LDS culture. Similarly, kids from prominent families always get called to better missions - Elizabeth Smart in Paris is a shining example, but there are many more if you take a critical look at kids in your ward. I would wager that very few bishop's kids get called to Elko, Nevada.

I wonder if anyone has ever turned down a calling by stating that "if god wants me, he can tell me himself - he knows where to find me"? That's what I would do anyway.

Please ignore if someone posted this already, but I found his pre-mission blog:

tuckercdenton.blogspot.com/

ETA: It's ... charming.

I would wager that very few bishop's kids get called to Elko, Nevada.

Or

(couldn't resist!).

I used to be an employee in the small, partially home-based business of a Mormon family, and they ended up paying me to clean their house and babysit her daughter as well (to be the maid). They made well into the six figures, she was in charge of relief society, and her husband became bishop shortly after I left employment there. Another employee in the business was a single mother in their ward who made minimum wage. She actually was called to clean the place, I did not pull that out of my ass :) They were great employers if you don't get into pay and benefits, but no one pays the maid that well so I really don't hold it against them. They were always flexible about my schedule and worked around my other job because most of my duties did not need to be performed at any particular time as long as they were done on a regular basis. If I had a childcare crisis, I could bring my toddler, no big deal at all. I appreciated their friendliness and concern for my life as a single mother in college with two jobs. I just feel the need to put in this preface because I have some great memories of working for them and they were an integral part of my success as a single mom.

But I was consistently surprised at the double standard for the poor and the rich in their church. The condescension thinly veiled as concern and care. If you are a good person and earn God's favor, you are rewarded with wealth--just look at the church's investments as proof! What does this say about those without wealth? Every interaction I have had with LDS friends and in-laws since then has reinforced this. And these were the liberal, worldly California mormons. (also, can I just say I resent being called a gentile?)

Everyone can point out the bishop's house; it's always the biggest on the block. Classism is alive and well in LDS culture. Similarly, kids from prominent families always get called to better missions - Elizabeth Smart in Paris is a shining example, but there are many more if you take a critical look at kids in your ward. I would wager that very few bishop's kids get called to Elko, Nevada.

Hmm, but the callings are done in SLC and the people who do them don't necessarily know the ward dynamics. I can think of examples of bishops' kids being called to boring missions while others get more interesting ones.

Hmm, but the callings are done in SLC and the people who do them don't necessarily know the ward dynamics. I can think of examples of bishops' kids being called to boring missions while others get more interesting ones.

From an April 2010 General Conference 'talk' ... “He told me that in his own mind he liked to think of where the missionaries would conclude their mission. This would aid him to know where they were to be assigned. Elder Eyring would then study the comments from the bishops and stake presidents, medical notes, and other issues relating to each missionary. From others of the Twelve, I have learned that this general method is typical each week as Apostles of the Lord assign scores of missionaries to serve throughout the world. . . ."

I've been reading through his blog, and am horrified.

"We were actually pall-bearers for part of it, so that was cool. Especially because he weighed 320 pounds. In a solid steel coffin. Yay. And when the elevator's too small, and you have to go up rain covered fire escape stairs. That's just really swell. We got to know the mortuary crew though, so that was cool. They're all just super super rich guys who do this job together cuz they like it and stuff. And cuz they have so much time, and they like drivin' limos."

"Freakin' hispanics don't know how to take a funny picture... they think the word "Chistoso" (which translates to funny) means smile-instead-of-your-glare-at-the-camera-thing-you-usually-do."

Among other gems, of course.

How have the powers-that-be not shut him down?? Unbelievable.

"We were actually pall-bearers for part of it, so that was cool. Especially because he weighed 320 pounds. In a solid steel coffin. Yay. And when the elevator's too small, and you have to go up rain covered fire escape stairs. That's just really swell. We got to know the mortuary crew though, so that was cool. They're all just super super rich guys who do this job together cuz they like it and stuff. And cuz they have so much time, and they like drivin' limos."

"Freakin' hispanics don't know how to take a funny picture... they think the word "Chistoso" (which translates to funny) means smile-instead-of-your-glare-at-the-camera-thing-you-usually-do."

The powers that be might not know about his blog. As a Hispanic I get annoyed with how he tries to lump all Hispanics into one category. I can't wait for that day when that attitude backfires on him and he realizes that there are various Hispanic cultures.

Guest Anonymous

OMFG what an arrogant, racist, classist, twit. DO NOT WANT. And I bet no one else does, either. Way to be a missionary, or something.

breadprincess, may I ask how your location in "rural Michigan" translates into the "most liberal city in my state"? I live in Michigan and cannot think of any areas which are both rural and liberal.

The mention of members scrubbing toilets really angers me. Faithful members tithe 10% of their income, which the church invests into business ventures in order to make $$$. Meanwhile, those faithful members are forced to scrub toilets because the church is too cheap to pay for janitors. :evil: Furthermore, because there are no janitors, the buildings don't get cleaned thoroughly/often. As a result, the church buildings can get pretty gross, too. Blech. Ooooo, and don't get me started on the church welfare program! ARGH! In order to receive any help, you have to be a full tithe payer! Maybe many of these folks wouldn't need assistance if they weren't forking money over to a profitable corporation! Okay, I'm done for now. :?

*Edited because I misread Rachel333!

Yep, it's a problem in the church. We (progressives in the church) call it "prosperity gospel". The notion that if you are doing what you are supposed to, paying your tithing, blah, blah, blah, then you will prosper monetarily. I'm not sure exactly where it comes from. But I absolutely effing hate it.

Teachings of "prosperity gospel" is in a lot of conservative, charismatic churches. Nice to see some acknowledge the Mormons have it going on too!

Or

(couldn't resist!).

Boise, Id is not bad. They have a distillery, some good coffee shops and a nice downtown area. But, I guess the kids would not be allowed to experience that.

The Utah mission is the hardest. Everyone there is either mormon or educated enough to have good reasons to not be mormon. Two years ago, I had a set of missionaries in my area that understood that. We had an understanding in the summer that they could come over and get a nice cold bottle of water IF they did not try to force their religion on me. The new batch of missionaries did not understand Utah. They kept trying to convert me. One even got upset when I came to the door holding a polygamy porter bottle. He accused me of forcing him to look at porn. These missionaries were not offered water. There was a 7-11 right next door so they could get a cold drink if they needed it there.

This guy and his mother make me ill. Honestly, I couldn't read her blog for long because of the slideshow at the side of his posed photos.

These two, unfortunately, have done nothing to decrease my level of intolerance for Mormons. It backs up the feelling I get when I encounter a pair of missionary kid "elders" and get the schpiel about the Golden Tablets. There have been a few times where a simple "no" just wasn't enough and they certainly didn't want to hear what I thought... If you're going to invade my space and tell me my beliefs are wrong then you better have the courtesy to at least listen to my POV or leave when I tell you that I'm not interested.

I'm sure they are not taught to be so aggressive, but when you send out a bunch of kids to convert the heathens and those kids have been taught that they know more than everyone else you're basically asking for them to be arrogant and aggressive.

There was a case in the 90s in Utah of some non-Mormon kids and their parents suing a pubic school district over what was basically forced prayer and intimidation in the school regarding graduation prayers. They won the case and the school was supposed to stop the public praying. The answer of the intolerant and hateful parents and students was to stand up during the graduation ceremony and sing a very religious song. I recall seeing the story on 20/20 with my mom. I still remember the hatefulness in the things that the parents said. Its not unlike the hatefulness this kid expresses on his blog. The joy he has in seeing someone else suffer from claustrophobia is just downright disgusting. If I wrote that and posted it online my mother wouldn't be "proud" of me she'd tell me she was ashamed of me and make me apologize. Then again we are all going to hell and this guy is going to get his own planet.... which honestly is where he belongs, on some isolated lonely planet far away from any other human being!

Do you remember which school district this was?

Edit: Never mind, I found a news article. It was the alpine district.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/186215/ALPINE-DISTRICT-FACES-SUIT-OVER-PRAYER.html?pg=all

Archived