IGNORED

Because being Mormon fixes everything, right? right?

emmiedahl

Having lived in Provo for a year, I can't begin to comprehend how anyone would want to join the church after knowing the Provoans. Rude, rude, rude, obnoxious, lacking all boundaries, smug, know-it-alls, rude, selfish, fake, ignorant (or in the Utah accent...ig-nernt), oh, did I mention rude?

Dont forget passive aggressive and back stabbing.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, speak of the devil. I was just coming home from a walk with my babies and saw two Mobots trolling the neighborhood - we've been approached just once since we moved here, so I wasn't concerned. They came INTO my garage as I was taking my babies out of the stroller - they were very polite, though. I told them I was very familiar with their message, but that I was very committed to my own beliefs, and they said they understood. They did ask if I had any family members in "the Church." I wondered how ol' Tucker (should I say, Elder Denton) would have described the encounter on his blog. Probably that he was aching and burning to play for hours with my baby daughter, but that I was a bit of a sweet spirit myself. Ugh.

Dont forget passive aggressive and back stabbing.

And everyone dates their best-friend's ex-boyfriend, etc.

OK, so they can't get in a car with a woman, but they go to a woman's house to proselytize? I found a book of mormon in my house about 5 years ago, when my daughter was 14. I asked her about it and she said the missioneries gave it to her. I was very pissed off at 1) her, for letting 2 strange men into the house and 2) them, for coming into the house where a 14 year old was home alone.

Technically they can't come into the house with a female alone either. It has to be three men again. So they broke rules if they came in.

• 9 months later...

I have been following Jenny Denton's blog for awhile and Tucker's mission ended several days ago and he is back home. I do wonder why he stopped blogging.

I have been following Jenny Denton's blog for awhile and Tucker's mission ended several days ago and he is back home. I do wonder why he stopped blogging.

OK, I need a link. I happened to fly into and out of Salt Lake City for work last week and there was a crowd of a thousand holding up signs saying "welcome back Elder Denton" when I got off the plane...

Link to mom's blog?

Nevermind. I found it.

And yep. I saw them all at the airport last Wed. when I got off my flight...weird.

There were a TON of people there.

OK, I need a link. I happened to fly into and out of Salt Lake City for work last week and there was a crowd of a thousand holding up signs saying "welcome back Elder Denton" when I got off the plane...

Link to mom's blog?

Nevermind. I found it.

And yep. I saw them all at the airport last Wed. when I got off my flight...weird.

There were a TON of people there.

That is weird that you saw them. It seems that Jenny and her husband are wealthy and a bit well known. There was a speculation in this thread that Tucker ended up in NYC because of connections.

That is weird that you saw them. It seems that Jenny and her husband are wealthy and a bit well known. There was a speculation in this thread that Tucker ended up in NYC because of connections.

I wouldn't be surprised. My neighbor's kid went to southern california on his mission (he was afraid of going somewhere with another language....) and people speculated locally about clout of the parents.

But, hey, my first fundie type blogger encounter!

Since some of you in this thread seem to have first hand knowledge of missions, is there some rule about not converting your immediate neighbors? When I was in college, living in sin, a pair of missionaries had the apartment on top of ours. Other than some friendly waves and a few pets for the dog, we had no interaction with them. It was a little apartment building, maybe 20 units, so I could see them not wanting to shit where they sleep, so to speak.

I feel compelled to mention that there is a black missionary near my current home. I refer to him as the unicorn. A really lucky unicorn who managed to get assigned to Hawaii.

Since some of you in this thread seem to have first hand knowledge of missions, is there some rule about not converting your immediate neighbors? When I was in college, living in sin, a pair of missionaries had the apartment on top of ours. Other than some friendly waves and a few pets for the dog, we had no interaction with them. It was a little apartment building, maybe 20 units, so I could see them not wanting to shit where they sleep, so to speak.

I feel compelled to mention that there is a black missionary near my current home. I refer to him as the unicorn. A really lucky unicorn who managed to get assigned to Hawaii.

I don't know of any rule. Some pairs of missionaries are assigned to work with less active already-members. Most missionaries outside of the Mormon corridor are responsible for quite a large part of their mission.

You're in Hawaii? One of our neighbor's boys is serving in Hawaii.

Yep, I'm in Honolulu. I think there are actually multiple groups of missionaries assigned to the island, and not just to support BYU.

I was in Nashville when the missionaries lived above us. I can't imagine they had much success in the buckle of the bible belt.

Archived