IGNORED

Bigotry in Congress

YPestis

This is only peripherally connected to the typical FJ topics but I thought it still has relevance given the forum's focus on right-wing extremists in our society.

This WaPo article points to recent accusations from prominent Republican congressmen who believe a long time aide to Hillary Clinton is a Muslim Brotherhood attempt at infiltrating the US government:

In a letter last month to the State Department’s inspector general requesting an investigation, the House Republicans cited a study from a conservative think tank that said Abedin “has three family members — her late father, mother and her brother — connected to Muslim Brotherhood operatives and/or organizations.

Abedin has worked for Clinton since her husband was president. For more than a decade she has traveled with Clinton, through two Senate campaigns, the 2008 presidential race and around the world on official diplomatic missions. Her unique perch, usually within arm’s length of Clinton and within the scope of photographers, often puts her in the public eye.

Interestingly enough,

Abedin, 37, is also known as the wife of former Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y.), who resigned in disgrace last year after sending inappropriate pictures of himself to women via Twitter.

I don't agree with much of McCain's political views, but I give him kudos for standing up against this type of bigotry. Face it, the woman in question has no record of radical behavior, has been with the Clintons since the 90's and whose only connection to anything she is being accused of is her supposedly family's involvement. When is it ok to have our nation's prominent politicians demanding a congressional investigation based on your family ties? I mean, sure this is done in places like China and North Korea, but I figure in the US, we have to have more evidence to accuse someone.

Anyways, I'm very leery of this type of 'guilty by association' because my parents also come from a 'hostile' nation. Some people just enjoy painting anything foreign with a broad, and xenophobic brush. It saddens me these are the type of people we elect to Congress in 2012.

Amen. This woman has obviously been through many background checks and served her country well. She's been through the ringer lately and this is the last thing she needs. This whole McCarthyism attitude towards Muslims, their families, or those with an Arabic background needs to end. Immediately.

Clearly, someone married to a Jewish man and working for the U.S. State Department is in fact part of some Muslim Brotherhood sleeper cell. WTF ever. Does Michelle Bachman have even the slightest idea of the kind of hoops a person needs to jump through to get any kind of government security clearance, particularly at the level Abedin has reached?

I have to say, John McCain completely lost me when George W. seemed to turn him into a pod person pre-2008 election, but my hat's off to the man for standing up, doing the honorable thing and at least attempting to be the conscience the Republican party should have recovered long ago. Honestly, they're embarrassing themselves with this Muslim scare crap. It's really disgusting, and I'm sick of it. It's no different than the coded language people used to use to talk about Jews or Catholics "taking over."

Does Michelle Bachman have even the slightest idea of the kind of hoops a person needs to jump through to get any kind of government security clearance, particularly at the level Abedin has reached?

Sadly, there's no security clearance necessary to be a loudmouthed dipshit, and no IQ test to be a Senator.

This all just reminds me that John McCain makes me sad. I don't agree with most of his positions, but he used to be willing to tell his party where to stick it if that's what it took to champion causes that he thought were the right thing to do. Hell, even during the biggest scandal of his career, the Charles Keating scandal, he was the only Republican who got called out, along with four Democrats. But he's just been so bitter since he lost in 2008, and has become this person who will aggressively toe the party line on every single issue. And I'll NEVER be able to forgive him for giving Sarah Palin the national spotlight she so desperately craved.

But now and then, like here, you still see sparks of what the old guy used to be like. Although I bet you a million dollars that if Huma Abedin weren't someone John McCain knew and liked, he wouldn't have said a damn thing.

man, she just won't give it up, even after her own former campaign manager and colleagues McCain and Boehner called her out....leader of a witch hunt, she is....

This all just reminds me that John McCain makes me sad. I don't agree with most of his positions, but he used to be willing to tell his party where to stick it if that's what it took to champion causes that he thought were the right thing to do. Hell, even during the biggest scandal of his career, the Charles Keating scandal, he was the only Republican who got called out, along with four Democrats. But he's just been so bitter since he lost in 2008, and has become this person who will aggressively toe the party line on every single issue. And I'll NEVER be able to forgive him for giving Sarah Palin the national spotlight she so desperately craved.

But now and then, like here, you still see sparks of what the old guy used to be like. Although I bet you a million dollars that if Huma Abedin weren't someone John McCain knew and liked, he wouldn't have said a damn thing.

I totally agree with you. It seems like losing in '08 just made him really butthurt and critical of our current president (what Republican congressman isn't?).

But, I'm glad he has the brains to speak out on this bigoted asshattery.

I have written my representative asking him to call for formal censure of Bachmann and the other four representatives that signed the original letter, and to call for Bachmann's removal from the House Intelligence Committee.

I found this blog entry to be very thought-provoking: http://www.stonekettle.com/2012/07/un-american-activities-more-things.html?spref=fb

edited to add: Whee, I'm blanket-trained now! :banana-guitar:

I know McCain tends to be the "pet conservative" of a lot of liberals but I can't stand the guy. Right about the time the Pentagon was considering repealing DADT, he said that he'd support repealing it if military leaders told him doing so wouldn't hurt the military. Then, despite the fact military commanders came out against DADT and a study showed that over 70% of military personnel don't get a damn about the sexual orientation of their fellow servicepeople, he still fought the repeal. There are a lot of different examples of him doing things like that.

Thanks, valsa. I'll admit that I voted for McCain in the 2000 primaries, because I knew that Dubya would be a disaster. I regret doing so now. There was an article in Rolling Stone in 2008 that really called into question McCain's character. I'll try to find it online and if I do I'll post a link.

While I give props to McCain for speaking out against Bachmann, I have to wonder whether or not he is at least partially doing it to remind Bachmann that members of the Republican party should be focusing on defeating Obama in November. But perhaps not.

That being said, Michelle Bachmann is a horrible, horrible person.

Michelle Bachmann is a woman on the prowl for a witch hunt. She's seeing enemies everywhere and throwing accusations around like candy. This probably plays well to her right wing constituents. Someone is peripherally connected to a middle eastern country or who is muslim or smells like hummus MUST BE A TERRORIST!!! McCarthy must be proud.

Guest Anonymous

I would censure this bitch just for having a husband who looks like Jiminy Glick. Newsflash, Shellly: Martin Short rocks the look better and funnier.

I know McCain tends to be the "pet conservative" of a lot of liberals but I can't stand the guy. Right about the time the Pentagon was considering repealing DADT, he said that he'd support repealing it if military leaders told him doing so wouldn't hurt the military. Then, despite the fact military commanders came out against DADT and a study showed that over 70% of military personnel don't get a damn about the sexual orientation of their fellow servicepeople, he still fought the repeal. There are a lot of different examples of him doing things like that.

Absolutely. McCain is far from the man of sterling character people like to portray him as. I remember him making a particularly nasty joke about Chelsea Clinton when Bill was president; he's an adulterer; and I think his family's money has left him out of touch with most Americans.

Another thing that really annoyed me about McCain (and Bob Dole before him) was the idea that they "deserved" the presidency because of their wartime service. Yes, they both made great personal sacrifices, but that doesn't mean they deserved the presidency as payment.

McCain is like all human beings, especially those who had a lot of opportunity to be successful. He does and says both great and terrible things.

There is a lot I don't like about him. But he will push back on some of the more ridiculous things from the right. Which is why the McCain/Palin ticket seemed so boggling to me. I can't imagine how that partnership would have actually worked in the white house. I think it would have been like Kennedy/Johnson (although Johnson was not at all like Palin and her down home folksy stupidity)

Archived