IGNORED

Why is Tumblr so mean?

Someonetocall

I just needed to get that out there. Tumblr seems to be a place on the internet where people aggregate their meanness. Too many people seem to be on there to tell others that they are doing it wrong. Why is teh ebil snark FJ the *nice* place on the internet?

ETA: the questions are technically rhetorical.

I personally have not have any experince with that, then again I mostly stick to the fandom side of tumblr where people tend to take their frustrations out on fictional characters.

What kind of meaness have you seen?

@AtroposHeart I read only one Tumblr (UfYH) and people started attacking her for not explaining about ALL disabilities and ALL mental illnesses in each post.

@Conuly THAT. THAT EXACTLY. At FJ, the majority of the posters are people who know everyone else here is people. Much of the rest of the internet (that I see) is struggling with that.

I'm with AtroposHeart, I'm more on the Fandom and random reblogging side of tumblr. I have my personal blog and I have a gymnastics blog, and most of the people I associate with on there are pretty nice people. Of course there are jerks on there, there's jerks everywhere on the internet, but maybe FJ seems nicer cause everyone is more mature? Tumblr is like high school unfortunately, and it's mostly populated by teenage girls.

I'm also on the fandom side of tumblr, but occasionally someone I follow will reblog from the "social justice" portion of the site. And it's a bit bonkers over there- if you don't phrase things exactly right you get dogpiled. I think it's actually a really toxic environment for change to happen, since they tend to pile up on people who actually don't disagree with them.

I haven't had any experience with Tumblr, but what you're saying seems to be exactly what I find with Youtube.

Really crazy mean and horrendously judgmental people just waiting to pounce and jump all up and down and go psycho on you're ass for anything!

Talk about wrong time, wrong place for the type of discussions they like to bring up, its really inept.

niger-is-actually-a-_1337236526_epiclolcom.png

tumblr_m5cjo8DmJe1ql155jo1_r1_500.jpg

I follow a lot of the "social justice" type blogs (a lot of them are queer-related) on Tumblr, and I mostly leave it alone now. It degenerates into bickering really, really fast.

Guest Anonymous
niger-is-actually-a-_1337236526_epiclolcom.png

tumblr_m5cjo8DmJe1ql155jo1_r1_500.jpg

I follow a lot of the "social justice" type blogs (a lot of them are queer-related) on Tumblr, and I mostly leave it alone now. It degenerates into bickering really, really fast.

These comments cannot be real. Is it a joke? If it is serious, then I just cannot conceive of what that idiot thought the "Niger" bib was all about.

These comments cannot be real. Is it a joke? If it is serious, then I just cannot conceive of what that idiot thought the "Niger" bib was all about.

I want to believe...because it's hilarious if they're real. No idea if they are, though.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. omg, that one with the Nigerian athlete is too much. I seriously refuse to believe that the commenter was for realz. If you want to get all indignant over the oppression of others, start with an education. Or at least with a globe.

HAHAHAHA. ignant. IGNANT.

Archived