IGNORED

Michaella/Michal/Michael Bates

Deleted07

I just don't get it. Names are cultural. When I moved to the rural South from Jersey ( just so you get the context), one coworker kept talking about how stupid Irish Catholics were because they always talked about "our" Tim or "our" John. So I explained that in that (my) culture, children were usually named after other relatives or favorite saints, so there were tons of people with the same name (I still know if I meet someone my age named Patricia she has an older sister named Mary and a younger sister who is either a Kathleen or a Teresa)--tons of Johns, Seans, Tims, Dannys, Marys, Bernadettes--so you say "our Danny" meaning the one in your family.

They thought it was really stupid. But at the same time, they would make fun of the African American people who had long names with lots of apostrophes--all the time. And yet one of the persons who was making so much fun of it had a father who was named MIckey Mantle X. I was an editor at this newspaper and for the first few weeks whenever I got an obituary I would call the funeral home because I was sure that the names that were listed must have been mistakes. Turns out they never were.

"Our" Tim or Dan is weird, but that's because anybody with any sense would name their kid Babe Ruth Jones or Earl Calvin Jones, Calvin not as a middle name, but just his name, "Earl Calvin."

Personally, I'd rather have another TIm or Dan than an Earl Calvin, but I don't put down people who think that is a good name. Wish they would give us evil Catholics the same consideration.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just don't get it. Names are cultural. When I moved to the rural South from Jersey ( just so you get the context), one coworker kept talking about how stupid Irish Catholics were because they always talked about "our" Tim or "our" John. So I explained that in that (my) culture, children were usually named after other relatives or favorite saints, so there were tons of people with the same name (I still know if I meet someone my age named Patricia she has an older sister named Mary and a younger sister who is either a Kathleen or a Teresa)--tons of Johns, Seans, Tims, Dannys, Marys, Bernadettes--so you say "our Danny" meaning the one in your family.

They thought it was really stupid. But at the same time, they would make fun of the African American people who had long names with lots of apostrophes--all the time. And yet one of the persons who was making so much fun of it had a father who was named MIckey Mantle X. I was an editor at this newspaper and for the first few weeks whenever I got an obituary I would call the funeral home because I was sure that the names that were listed must have been mistakes. Turns out they never were.

"Our" Tim or Dan is weird, but that's because anybody with any sense would name their kid Babe Ruth Jones or Earl Calvin Jones, Calvin not as a middle name, but just his name, "Earl Calvin."

Personally, I'd rather have another TIm or Dan than an Earl Calvin, but I don't put down people who think that is a good name. Wish they would give us evil Catholics the same consideration.

I think you call that ignorance.

I doubt your Catholic credential though...How many 'Our John Paul's' do you know :lol:

You know...for some people it is only right if it is within their intellect and demographic. Such is life.

Michael+a

Heard of Michaela as in Mick-kay-la.

But yes. Too cheap to change it legally ..Michael Michal Michael+a must feel so special. By making the name SOUND the same they went the 'Goodwill' route. Poor girl.

Buy used and save the difference? :mrgreen:

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

It's a perfectly cromulent word.

So basically Gil and Kelly "Jo" screwed up when naming Michaela and should just say that. I wonder why they haven't let her pick her own name after all these years, like let her decide how it should be pronounced or spelt.

She chose...Michael+a...Michaela.

She chose...Michael+a...Michaela.

Uh, Baylee? Even in the article it says that M goes by Michael or Mikey most of the time. :roll:

Uh, Baylee? Even in the article it says that M goes by Michael or Mikey most of the time. :roll:

However she signs emails Michaela, Michaela is what it says on her text messages, and she answers to Michaela. Whatever!! One wonders how 5 pages could possibly devoted to a person's name.

However she signs emails Michaela, Michaela is what it says on her text messages, and she answers to Michaela. Whatever!! One wonders how 5 pages could possibly devoted to a person's name.

Ok, Baylee, you are right. You are her best friend and know everything about her.

BayLee_ 10,

Five pages are devoted to her name because her parents, who supposedly consider all their children blessings from God, couldn't be assed to give her a proper LEGAL name of her own with correct spelling included. You know, that's something even atheists parents manage.

How do people read stories about deciding you don't like your kid's name but then not taking the trouble to legally have it changed (because then God forbid your blessing just cost you some cash) and still think these people have something to share about parenting to the great unwashed masses?

Baylee_10 is a Bates fangirl who would defend them if they walked into a movie theater and killed 12 people. Just for the newbies around here... take anything she says about the Bates family with a grain, perhaps a kilo, of salt.

Baylee_10 is a Bates fangirl who would defend them if they walked into a movie theater and killed 12 people. Just for the newbies around here... take anything she says about the Bates family with a grain, perhaps a kilo, of salt.

Yes, but I'm bored today..... :twisted:

Yes, but I'm bored today..... :twisted:

Then by all means, have fun! :mrgreen: I enjoy playing with the trolls occasionally.

You seem like a special special person.

Wow, what a pathetic life to lie about being bff with some D-list "celebrities" who are also horrible people.

:clap: -- because you obviously need it, dear.

oh its Baylee aka Kay ;-) Shes the one who flounced before about how if we see a good looking older woman on the Bates show, we'll know its her... *snort*

But funny how her story changes from post to post. First it was she hardly knew them, just sent a few things their way. Then she said she thought they were hypocrites. Then suddenly they were her BFF's.... Which is it Baylee? The Internet has a long memory, and luckily I too have a really good one when it comes to things people say, especially when they are flounciful. So you might want to write down all the little stories you tell, so you can keep them straight ;-)

Isn't she the one who had several stories with huge conflicts, especially regarding age?

Would it be better if we had restrained ourselves and kept it to a modest four pages? Or a demure three? How about a conservative two?

I say we get really crazy up in here and go for SIX. Who's with me? :twisted:

From thinkbabynames.com:

Michaela meaning and name origin

Michaela \m(i)-chae-la\ as a girl's name is pronounced mih-KAY-lah. It is of Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Michaela is "who resembles God?". Feminine form of Michael. Kayla is a popular derivative of this name. Actress Michael Learned.

Michaela has 38 variant forms: Macaela, MacKayla, Makayla, Makyla, McKayla, Mechaela, Meeskaela, Mekea, Micaela, Michal, Michael, Michaelina, Michaeline, Michaila, Michalin, Michele, Michelina, Micheline, Michelle, Mickee, Mickie, Miguela, Miguelina, Miguelita, Mahalya, Mihaila, Mihalia, Mihaliya, Mikaela, Mikayla, Mikella, Mikelle, Mikhaila, Mikhayla, Mischaela, Mishaila, Miskaela and Mychaela.

Michaela has 38 variant forms: Macaela, MacKayla, Makayla, Makyla, McKayla, Mechaela, Meeskaela, Mekea, Micaela, Michal, Michael, Michaelina, Michaeline, Michaila, Michalin, Michele, Michelina, Micheline, Michelle, Mickee, Mickie, Miguela, Miguelina, Miguelita, Mahalya, Mihaila, Mihalia, Mihaliya, Mikaela, Mikayla, Mikella, Mikelle, Mikhaila, Mikhayla, Mischaela, Mishaila, Miskaela and Mychaela.

Kindergarten class list from hell...

Bet Michaela has never heard of Dr. Mike(Quinn), Medicine Woman. I imagine that show was way too out there for the Bateses. Loved how Hank always called her Michaaaaaayla.

Don't you mean a grain assault? ;)

Would it be better if we had restrained ourselves and kept it to a modest four pages? Or a demure three? How about a conservative two?

I say we get really crazy up in here and go for SIX. Who's with me? :twisted:

:handgestures-thumbup:

Archived