IGNORED

Roseanne the TV Series 1988–1997

Deleted07

One of my favorite lines was after Dan beat up Fisher and game back with a bucket of chicken, Roseanne asks him, "You didn't kill Fisher and go buy chicken did you?" Then when Darlene has to go get Dan out of jail and the smart comments she makes like, "Mom says we have a new daddy now."

Growing up our house was a lot like Roseanne's. Lots of love, but also lots of yelling and clutter, junky cars, my brothers and I fought constantly, etc. I consider it one of my comfort shows. I love to watch it when I am sad or not feeling well.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One of my favorite lines was after Dan beat up Fisher and game back with a bucket of chicken, Roseanne asks him, "You didn't kill Fisher and go buy chicken did you?" Then when Darlene has to go get Dan out of jail and the smart comments she makes like, "Mom says we have a new daddy now."

Growing up our house was a lot like Roseanne's. Lots of love, but also lots of yelling and clutter, junky cars, my brothers and I fought constantly, etc. I consider it one of my comfort shows. I love to watch it when I am sad or not feeling well.

The fighting between Becky and Darlene still reminds me of the way my two older brothers fought. The get togethers on Roseanne reminded me of stuff my family did with our friends and relatives. I loved the clip another posted of Bonnie and the gang singing at the mother's day barbecue. One of my favorite minor characters was Nana Mary.

Found out recently that Roseanne made transphobic comments on her Twitter and it made my heart hurt. Right in the childhood...

I was specifically not going to look at those comments, because I have a lovely summer home of the banks of de Nile and wanted to rationalize to myself that they probably weren't that bad. Just came across them on another blog and *poof* all respect and fondness for the woman is gone.

Well, at least I can still wish Dan was my father.

Any Roseanne fans see the comments she made that she was secretly in love with John Goodman during the show's run? As a fan I think I always want that to be the case when people have great on screen chemistry, so it warmed my heart. Well this morning I'm watching CBS Sunday and they interviewed Goodman in NOLA. When they mentioned the comments he tried to cover his face with his napkin and then it was obvious he was blushing. :oops: /fan-girling

Any Roseanne fans see the comments she made that she was secretly in love with John Goodman during the show's run? As a fan I think I always want that to be the case when people have great on screen chemistry, so it warmed my heart. Well this morning I'm watching CBS Sunday and they interviewed Goodman in NOLA. When they mentioned the comments he tried to cover his face with his napkin and then it was obvious he was blushing. :oops: /fan-girling

He seems like such a warm and giving person-a great Dad.

He seems like such a warm and giving person-a great Dad.

I have had a crush on John Goodman since Roseanne. In fact, I've always dated guys who others think are a little on the chunky side. Maybe I'm trying to find my own Dan Conner.

Probably my favorite series ever.

I remember all the realistic, emotional scenes they had that showed the real life problems people had to deal with. Not just have a neat ending to, not just sweep under the rug, but they had to gut it out and get through it.

When Roseanne gets pregnant with her last child, and then they find out it could have problems. Jackie suggests an abortion as a possibility as its still early. Roseanne, while still being pro choice, says "Its not that early, I heard the heartbeat." I could really relate to that. And when Dan has a heart attack and she says "I've been with him since I was 16 years old." I loved all the serious parts of the show. Roseanne not letting the angry black guy into her diner, and then finding out he was a kids parent. She just is scared of men? Or black men? Love all the real issues they brought up. Racism, and domestic violence and gays and divorce and struggling to pay the bills.

The time Beckys boss calls her a name, and Dan goes down there to hit him and finds out Mark already hit him :)

Jackie being hugely pregnant and showing us her bare belly. How is THIS :gestures at belly: going to come out of THIS :gestures at privates: ?! lol

And the chicken shirt! That everyone wore at one time or the other.

Beckys sweet 16. Roseanne flashing the neighbor.

My favorite was the SNOBBY neighbor, the one with the "stick up her butt" - Todds mom. LOL

Also the two episodes involving Fisher hitting Jackie are some of the best TV ever, IMHO. Jackie breaking into tears, saying "I just don't want anyone to know," the moment when Dan silently walks out the door and picks up his jacket on the way to see Fisher, when Roseanne finds out he's hit her before and says she'll just leave Jackie with him and forget about her and Jackie says "no, you won't" - OMG I think I have to watch it tonight. Another heartbreaker is when Dan has to commit his mother to a mental hospital - there were so many storyline problems all over the place by then - but the scene when he says, "I can't take this" and just loses it - I weep every time. And then the episode when DJ has to kiss a girl in the school play but doesn't want to because she's black. Her father comes to the restaurant late at night and forces Roseanne to realize that she's more prejudiced than she likes to think. I could go on forever, but I'll stop. :D

Agreed.

Also when Roseanne goes to see Crystal, who is losing her mind with her housework and babies and husband being gone all the time, and she says she is pregnant again and what is she going to do?

And when Roseanne loses her cool and spanks DJ.

Everyone was just so realistic and imperfect and relatable.

Great thread. Roseanne reminded me so much of my family and the people I grew up with.

Favorite episodes: every Halloween episode. The Conners always went all out on Halloween and often turned their house into a haunted house. I remember begging my mom to do that for Halloween. The top Halloween episode for me was when Roseanne dressed up as a man and her and Jackie went to a bar (I believe their car broke down and were waiting there for Dan to come get them). Roseanne trying to act one of the boys was hilarious.

My all time favorite line (I'm giggling right now thinking of it) is when Becky and Darlene catch DJ peeking on them in an early episode. DJ runs to Roseanne and says "mommy Darlene called me a prevert.". Without missing a beat Roseanne replies "no honey, are a pervert.". :lol: :lol: :lol:

I too lost interest in the show after they won the lottery. It seemed all too easy...it's like the writers gave up. I would have rather seen th Landord Lunchbox take off and become thr next big franchise. Though I guess loose meat sandwiches are a pretty Midwestern thing.

Dan was also my favorite character, and I secretly wished he was my dad too. He has gone on to have a great career and I think one of the best actors in the business (he was recently in Argo and it was a pleasure watching him play off Alan Arkin). After Dan I think Darlene was my next favorite. I felt like her a lot...being kind of the semi goth kid with the smart mouth. I liked Roseanne the character on the show, but I've never been especially taken with her as a person. David always irritated me and I always secretly hoped Darlene would dump him!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived