IGNORED

Roseanne the TV Series 1988–1997

Deleted07

My favorite episode is the Mother's Day Picnic, where Bonnie Bramlett sings You Really Got A Hold On Me. It still gives me chills.

1y4ptVHmEIs

It wasn't the deepest episode, or the most realistic one, but it is hands down my favorite and it will never be deleted off my DVR.

My dad saw Delaney & Bonnie with Eric Clapton at Fillmore East, which makes me wish I was born about 30 years earliertopic>

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also the two episodes involving Fisher hitting Jackie are some of the best TV ever, IMHO. Jackie breaking into tears, saying "I just don't want anyone to know," the moment when Dan silently walks out the door and picks up his jacket on the way to see Fisher, when Roseanne finds out he's hit her before and says she'll just leave Jackie with him and forget about her and Jackie says "no, you won't" -

I think that's when I realized I had a crush on Dan. Because you knew, you just knew, that Fischer was in for a world of hurt the moment Dan picked up his jacket. I am pretty sure the live audience cheered. I know I did. But the fact that Dan didn't even have to think about what to do even though we all knew that Jackie drove him totally bonkers - I'm tearing up now.

My favorite Roseanne moment was when their father died and Jackie was talking to the deaf aunt:

"Dad's gone. Dad's passed on. Dad's no longer with us. He's dead! Dead!! Dead!!! Dead!!!!"

I will never stop laughing at that. Laurie Metcalf is a personal hero of mine.

The show did feature gay and lesbian characters, and in a positive light no less, long before it was mainstream. Not too many of them on late 80's/early 90's TV. Roseanne's 'gay kiss' was a bit over the top I thought - mainly because it didn't fit the character.

How could I forget the episode where their new neighbors are nudists - and in their 80's. That was hilarious. Roseanne flashing the old man her boobs and asking 'what color are my eyes?'.

That reminded me of the scene that made me laugh the hardest (and I'm even chuckling to myself thinking about it now): Darlene's 16th birthday and her mom and friends pretend to put on a sweet 16 party, which, of course, Darlene HATES. Roseanne tells her it was a set-up and sends her to the pizza parlor where her friends are waiting. Then Roseanne and friends have their own sweet 16 party, playing "truth or dare." Roseanne gets dared to run topless through the back yard and flash Dan and she says, "Yeah, flash my husband of 20 years" (or something like that). She runs back in, covering her breasts and just saying, "oh, my god; oh, my god; oh, my god"

Enter Dan, with new neighbor man, "Honey, have you met our new neighbor?" :lol:

Loved the series, beginning to end, even though the final season was downright silly.

I remember the episode in which Becky and Dan were on the outs because she'd eloped (IIRC). At the end of it, Dan was obviously heartbroken, but was telling her, over the phone, how to insulate the windows of her crappy apartment. It was something so stunningly simple but true to life.

In another, Dan comes to realize that his father's infidelity stems from Dan's mother's mental illness, and not vice versa.

In both of these, John Goodman essentially proved to me that he's an acting god.

This thread has pushed me to start recording Roseanne on my DVR. I watched a few of the clips you all mentioned and was reminded of how great the show was. I watched it during it's run, but I was still a little to young to get most of it, so I'm going to enjoy rewatching it through adult eyes.

I still watch it when I can't be bothered to pay attention to anything new. Yes, the last season sucked, but I got over that a long time ago.

My favorite episode is the Mother's Day Picnic, where Bonnie Bramlett sings You Really Got A Hold On Me. It still gives me chills.

1y4ptVHmEIs

It wasn't the deepest episode, or the most realistic one, but it is hands down my favorite and it will never be deleted off my DVR.

My dad saw Delaney & Bonnie with Eric Clapton at Fillmore East, which makes me wish I was born about 30 years earliertopic>

Roseanne was a regular on the El Lay concert and music scene in those days. Snuffy Walden did the music and had Cropper and Dunn in for the recording. She was also a big Deadhead (ergo naming the baby Jerry).

\

In both of these, John Goodman essentially proved to me that he's an acting god.

John Goodman's ea bomb! The first role I saw him in was the weird guy in the movie, "Baron Fink," but, while the role was weird and the movie even weirder, he played a character that made you puzzle!

but I digress. I've seen/heard him in a number of roles and he's amazing. Roseanne is always going to be Roseanne, nothing more, nothing less. Funny, talented, but a one-pony show.

and her focus is what made the series work (along with a superior supporting cast)

The Bonnie Bramlett episode may not have been realistic in one sense (I mean, who has Bonnie sing in their backyard) but in another sense it was--the show was very true to how people without a lot of money socialize--backyard "barbecues," playing cards with beer and chips as the refreshments, maybe once in a while going to the bowling alley. Just like they were practically the only sitcom family ever seen watching TV, the generic cans of corn in the cupboard, the afghan on the couch, Dan building a boat in the attic, the sister coming over to do her laundry--this portrayal of working class people was just so dead on.

And yeah, Dan picking up that jacket and walking out the door was classic. And her rant at the 18-year-old not who ran the fast food restaurant and gave her a hard time. So many great moments.

I just read that they filmed a "reunion" that will air later this month--but no John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, Estelle Parsons or Sarah Gilbert, so I kind of don't see the point. Will probably skip it.

I just read that they filmed a "reunion" that will air later this month--but no John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, Estelle Parsons or Sarah Gilbert, so I kind of don't see the point. Will probably skip it.

Link?

Haven't seen "Roseanne" since 1993 or so, but I watched the first 3 seasons religiously. At the time this was really edgy for a family sitcom. Then I started working at night so I missed it (we couldn't program the VCR to save the day then, so I quit watching it around 1992).

I loved Dan; Darlene was ok although sometimes annoying; but then which teens (or kids) on sitcoms aren't?.

It stinks that I barely remember the gists of the episodes I watched.... I remember the one when Dan and Roseanne smoked an old stash of weed, and that was a later one (I was in a hotel in NYC when I saw it). Very funny.

I don't know if I bookmarked it, but the New Yorker (or is it New York Magazine??) did a long interview with Roseanne Barr re: her show a few yrs back. Remember how much the tabloids loved to thrash her in the early 90s? Well, she explains the whole thing . Granted, it's her point-of-view, but...If the network and producers treated her as savagely as she says in the int., well, she did have a good reason to act crazy sometimes...

I'll try to find it and post it on this thread later today. It's a must read, even if you're not a "Roseanne" fan; a great feature about being an "outsider" woman trying to make it in the shark infested waters of Hollywood TV.

http://nymag.com/arts/tv/upfronts/2011/ ... rr-2011-5/

(no need to break it I guess?)

There's a Comedy Central roast of Roseanne coming up on Sunday. Sarah Chalke, Lecy Goranson, Michael Fishman and Tom Arnold participated.

There's a Comedy Central roast of Roseanne coming up on Sunday. Sarah Chalke, Lecy Goranson, Michael Fishman and Tom Arnold participated.

A friend of mine was telling me about it on the phone last night. I will watch it for laughs. I wonder what Tom will say.

• 1 month later...

I did not know Glenn Quinn was dead! I liked Roseanne, but I watch reruns. however, Quinn in Angel... oh he was an awesome half demon! I seriously didn't know he was dead.

A friend of mine was telling me about it on the phone last night. I will watch it for laughs. I wonder what Tom will say.

He ought to say, "Thanks for the career."

LOVE Roseanne, even some episodes of the final season. My favorite characters were Darlene, Jackie and Crystal sometimes. (She reminds me of Butters from South Park for some reason) It's just an all around funny show! I love Darlene's sarcastic come backs, especially in later seasons.

I loved Roseanne, but hated it after they won the lottery - basically the last seaon or so. My favourite characters were Dan and Jackie. Loved their Halloween specials - made sure to watch them each year!

Roseann was treated like shit by the network. She won THE award for best sitcom producer...not sure what it is, an Emmy? Anyway, the standard congratulations gift from the network was a high end car or five figure bonus. Roseanne got a stupid cake. In her bio she outlines all the sexist bullshit that she endured. She was still treated like a secretary by men that she outearned by a few mill.

• 1 month later...

I used to watch "Roseanne" sporadically; as far as I knew, Sarah Chalke was the only Becky until much later. My dad forbade me to watch it anymore after Roseanne butchered the national anthem, and it wasn't until recently that I started catching reruns of it on Nick at Nite. I hadn't realized that Glenn Quinn played on the series; I'd only seen him on "Angel." I find it interesting that a lot of the Roseanne alumni are now on "The Big Bang Theory": Johnny Galecki, Laurie Metcalfe, even Sara Gilbert.

I really liked the older episodes, but I caught some of the last season and the stupidity made my brain hurt. The episode that stands out in memory is "Roseann-bo" where Jackie's husband(?), the prince, was nearly abducted by Muslim terrorists and Roseanne went all Rambo. I kept hoping it was just a dream sequence (which I suppose it was since the last season was entirely a dream sequence).

This is one of the many, many shows my folks forbade us from watching. Apparently it didn't reflect 'our' fundie values. :roll: I haven't really watched Roseanne lately as I already had 20+ years of pop culture to wade through, but now I'll move it up on the list !

I LOVED Roseanne! I was born when the TV show was, and it wasn't one my parents really watched (like Home Improvement) so I never saw it until my first year of college. My cousin and I LOVE it! Except for the last season. That was just weird.

Archived