IGNORED

Raising Olives met the olympic swim team

tabitha2

raisingolivescom/2012/07/meet-olympic-swim-team/

I think this is far crueler than the Duggars way. Exposing your children to things of the world and have fun and let them dream but never allow it for them.

raisingolivescom/2012/07/meet-olympic-swim-team/

I think this is far crueler than the Duggars way. Exposing your children to things of the world and have fun and let them dream but never allow it for them.

raisingolives.com/2012/07/meet-olympic-swim-team/ You need the dot, otherwise you get a no such address notice.

Some serious defrauding in those bathing suits.

That's all I could think of when I read the title of this thread. :shock:

Is this a family that insists on modest dress? Would they allow these type of swimsuits? And it wouldn't just be swimsuits that are an issue-I love the Olympics but I can think of very few sports where the usual dress would meet fundie standards. Maybe fencing? And wasn't it the last summer Olympics where some female swimmers wore long pants for religious reasons?

That's all I could think of when I read the title of this thread. :shock:

I was immediately jealous, thinking of getting to see Ryan Locthe in the flesh. Now THAT is an attractive man.

Went back and looked at the photos again and since they have the one child in a spaghetti strap type shirt and jean shorts-I'm guessing that they would allow the swimsuits and swimming. In which case, I just think this was a cool opportunity for them and I hope they all enjoyed it! And it makes a little more sense her comments on watching the Olympics.

Is this a family that insists on modest dress? Would they allow these type of swimsuits? And it wouldn't just be swimsuits that are an issue-I love the Olympics but I can think of very few sports where the usual dress would meet fundie standards. Maybe fencing? And wasn't it the last summer Olympics where some female swimmers wore long pants for religious reasons?

A lot of girls and women wear suits that go to the knees, you'll see them at the competitions. They usually don't wear them at practice.

The longer suits are usually meant to reduce drag, not to preserve modesty. Reducing drag is important in a sport where winning can be by less than a tenth of a second. Kids as young as 10 will shave off their body hair to try and reduce their times.

The longer suits are usually meant to reduce drag, not to preserve modesty. Reducing drag is important in a sport where winning can be by less than a tenth of a second. Kids as young as 10 will shave off their body hair to try and reduce their times.

I'm a swim Mom and Grandma so yes, I know they aren't for modesty. My daughter always shaved all her hair, my granddaughter hasn't started doing that yet.

My sons both wear those knee length "jammers" for their swim team.

As for fencing being modest, girl fencers also wear pants and some of them wear them very tight. Sometimes,depending on the competition, they will have MIXED bouts of men and women gasp! I am a fencing mom, I have actually seen girls in shorts and a t-shirt getting dressed into their gear in the main competition room in front of everyone. Shockingthey might show elbow and knees, I know.

They don't allow regular swimsuits, at least not for the girls. This post has a picture of their kids in swimsuits:

raisingolives.com/2009/09/you-asked-homeschool-curriculum-year-round-school-and-fitting-it-all-in/

I'm a swim Mom and Grandma so yes, I know they aren't for modesty. My daughter always shaved all her hair, my granddaughter hasn't started doing that yet.

My brother swam all the way through college. To this day, I find body hair a bit odd, because I'm used to swimmers. It's one things to see swimmers in practice suits, but I wonder what they think of some of the super tight competition suits. They... don't exactly leave anything to the imagination.

They don't allow regular swimsuits, at least not for the girls. This post has a picture of their kids in swimsuits:

raisingolives.com/2009/09/you-asked-homeschool-curriculum-year-round-school-and-fitting-it-all-in/

She wrote though that those suits were very expensive and only lasted one season so she prefers Lands End suits now. And I know they don't make suits like those in the photo.

I knew that the women swimmers wore the longer ones-didn't that become popular about 20 years ago? I was working at a college with a highly successful swim team at the time and one of the swimmers was explaining about the drag, etc. I remember it being pretty interesting.

I did not know that about fencing though-I've watched on the Olympics but that's it and they always seemed pretty bundled up. I was just trying to think of examples that might meet fundy standards and be okay to watch...perhaps men in the equestrian events? But the pants are probably considered too tight. Not sure what they wear in the shooting events.

I knew that the women swimmers wore the longer ones-didn't that become popular about 20 years ago? I was working at a college with a highly successful swim team at the time and one of the swimmers was explaining about the drag, etc. I remember it being pretty interesting.

I did not know that about fencing though-I've watched on the Olympics but that's it and they always seemed pretty bundled up. I was just trying to think of examples that might meet fundy standards and be okay to watch...perhaps men in the equestrian events? But the pants are probably considered too tight. Not sure what they wear in the shooting events.

Yes, for anybody who isn't fundie, fencers are bundled up pretty well. As in, the only part of us that's allowed to be uncovered during a bout is our non-dominant hand. However, to a fundie, it's not just that you're covered, it's also what you're covered with.

Men fencing might be okay with fundies. Dougie certainly seems to be into it. But women that where tight-ish pants? No way. Besides, teh wimmen are supposed to be in the kitchen anyway, leaving it to men to defend their honor.

Archived