IGNORED

Shraders ditching their camper for Zambia

marmalade

I think they should go to Western Europe and try to re-Christianize those godless heathens. Amsterdam's red light district would be a good place to start. Then they could travel north to Sweden and enjoy a little chat with Abba's Bjorn Ulvaeus, who now owns an atheist publishing house. Meanwhile, their children can be salt and light in the Euro public schools, since homeschooling is illegal in most of those countries.

Please no, send them to the middle east perhaps Saudi. Europe doesn't need your True Christians™ thanks :D

From the Youtube comments:

Genesis clearly states that the righteous of all nations shall have a place in the kingdom of heaven to come. This translates into G-d does NOT LIKE prostelization. G-d loves all his children and wants them to worship along their traditions not alongside the traditions of others. Arrogant and uneducated white people stay home.

I also agree that Esther's voice is a caricature of Michelle's.

Hope to get the book in hand by early next week & then will need 2-3 days to read it.

If everyone else is ready, though, have at it; I'm sure it won't spoil my reading!

I'd like to join as well. Kingsolver is one of my favorite authors and I'm always up for a Poisonwood Bible re-read.

Best part of the video was him saying that the people of Zambia "literally" broke their hearts. Ouch that must've hurt!!

Goes well with her "God brought my husband and I together." I guess nobody ever taught her the "take out the other person and see if it sounds right" trick.

Oh, and I'm up for re-reading the Poisonwood Bible and discussing it!

Women don't work outside the home in the fundie world. They are the "helpmeets" for the family "headship," who is supposed to be the sole breadwinner. Many fundie families cheat though. Women make and sell stuff on Etsy (nothing wrong with that), others have blogs and make cash with the ad $$ generated by clicks. I doubt that living in a camper is conducive to Esther being able to sew stuff to sell; who knows if she can even sew? Besides, with 7 kids in that space with no help aside from the oldest spawn, where is she going to find time? Even ZZ gets a break with kids' naps and ability to go to another room while she types her screeds.

This move is totally a concession to the fact that the guy is pretty much a failure as a headship and has to resort to living off the largesse of the sponsoring church to support his family. Tying up in a pretty bow of missionary work may work for some people (I found the video on David/Pris' blog), but facts are facts; Pa Shrader is good at donating sperm, but not much else.

I don't disagree that this is the reason they're going, but, financially, it makes no sense. Their plane fare alone would take them through the winter in their camper. Why would any church in it's right mind support them?

I don't disagree that this is the reason they're going, but, financially, it makes no sense. Their plane fare alone would take them through the winter in their camper. Why would any church in it's right mind support them?

Well, none of their members actually have to make the trip and the gesture of sponsoring these "godly missionaries" (cough, gag) makes them appear magnanamous, giving them more cache in the hardline fundie world.

Did anyone see the update David and Priscilla put on their website with them visitng John and Esther:

davidlovespriscilla.com/2012/07/12/family-visit-with-john-esther/

The Shraders–Missionaries to Zambia!

John and Esther are stepping out in faith by offering themselves to go and serve the people of Zambia. They and their seven children plan on planting churches and discipling pastors in the ways of God. If you would like to write a note of encouragement, their sending church will forward it on to them. Write to: Valley Baptist Church, PO Box 187, Auburn, WA 98071. As Priscilla’s oldest sibling and her family begin deputation and then life on the mission field, it is our duty and joy to uphold them in prayer.

P1010581-e1342055361542.jpg

John and Esther faithfully serving together

P1010607.jpg

John and Esther have seven children under the age of nine! What a blessing!!!

P1010622-e1342055417390.jpg

Esther is Priscilla's oldest sibling

They have seven kids, all little. Does Esther have a kid every year?

Wouldn't it be sad if the Zambians were better educated than the Schraders?

Did anyone see the update David and Priscilla put on their website with them visitng John and Esther:

davidlovespriscilla.com/2012/07/12/family-visit-with-john-esther/

That's where I found the video. I just went to You Tube to bypass the blog, basically because it's absolutely awful, as evidenced by the Waller's latest post. D&P are the most stilted writers and appear to be just as stilted as people, almost robotic. I wonder how long it took for those two to actually do the dirty deed? They rank up there as one of the most awkward couples I've seen. I can't imagine having to converse with them; you'd have to be "on" all the time because they're just so damn formal and...stilted. They wouldn't know slang if it bit them in the butt.

I believe... and correct me if I'm wrong.. the organisation or church sends the family there (ie; paying for their tickets) and supplies everything they will need in return for their works there. I don't think they actually get paid for it, its just their basic accommodation and food that is supplied, plus their tickets home once their term is up.

To state the obvious, it is not good for a woman's health to have 7 babies in 9 years. Not good.

I believe... and correct me if I'm wrong.. the organisation or church sends the family there (ie; paying for their tickets) and supplies everything they will need in return for their works there. I don't think they actually get paid for it, its just their basic accommodation and food that is supplied, plus their tickets home once their term is up.

Whether the sending organization is a church or a mission agency, what generally happens is that through a previous visit or through talking with other missionaries working in that area, it is determined how much the family needs per month to live. This amount would include all living expenses (housing, utilities, food, clothing, everything). They would also determine how much would be needed per month to do ministry. Once a monthly amount is determined, the potential missionaries raise support from one church, multiple churches, or from a combination of churches and individuals. These churches and individuals pledge to give so much per month. Once the missionary has raised enough money to go, (some agencies require 100% of support to be pledge before leaving, other agencies may not require the full amount), they pack and leave. There are often individuals who will give a one-time gift rather than giving monthly. These one time gifts are normally plenty to cover airline costs as well as initial setup of a home, getting a car, etc. Money is then given monthly to the church or agency and the donors can use their gift as a tax deduction as long as the church or agency is a 501©3. Then the church or agency makes a monthly deposit or wires money to the missionary on the field. Some missionaries will also work a job on the field, but this is not common since depending on the country and what type of visa they are issued, they may not be allowed to work a local job.

Archived