IGNORED

Shraders ditching their camper for Zambia

marmalade

I wonder how much of this move was precipitated by the fact that John couldn't cut it as a provider for his quiver in the States? If there's a woman who needs Norplant, stat, it's Esther. No more "blessings" for crying out loud, no matter where they're living.

That video is so patently false. I also wonder at his "training" as a pastor and what kind of "training" the Zambian men (noticed women were not included) get to become pastors? Isn't this the blind leading the blind, akin to the SOTDRT?

Maybe I am missing something, but where in the Bible does Christ tell His disciples to take small children with them when they go into the world to preach the Gospel? It seems to me that He mostly called upon single adults. IIRC, Peter had a wife, but there was no mention of children. Perhaps they were grown.

Oh well, Zambian village life is probably better for the Shrader kids than living in a camper in somebody's backyard.

Esther sounds so depressed. Every time she speaks in that video, it sounds like she's fighting back tears.

Poor people of Zambia...to be taught by The Shraders that their [the shraders] way of life is the only way.

We climbed Kili with a young Australian couple who had worked in Zambia for 18 months, I suspect the shraders are going to have a hard time adjusting. And why go there to train men? The country is predominantly Christian.

The one family we discussed a couple of weeks ago, where the mom hated the country, also went to Zambia. Poor people of Zambia, stuck with stupid people like this.

I had to pause it at about 10 seconds in and grab a shot of brandy to put into my first cup of espresso. Frankly I think the whole missionary trip is BS since the country is predominantly xtian. What stuck me was the tiny voice of Esther, not unlike Jchelles.

It's all rather haunting, I just finished a reread of Poisonwood, I wonder how Esther's next pregnancy will fare out in the bush?

I had to pause it at about 10 seconds in and grab a shot of brandy to put into my first cup of espresso. Frankly I think the whole missionary trip is BS since the country is predominantly xtian. What stuck me was the tiny voice of Esther, not unlike Jchelles.

It's all rather haunting, I just finished a reread of Poisonwood, I wonder how Esther's next pregnancy will fare out in the bush?

How did I not know about Poisonwood? Just put it on reserve at the library!

How did I not know about Poisonwood? Just put it on reserve at the library!

I read it when it first came out and although I was following fundy insanity then I was more interested in the not so subtle political under pinnings. I finished it in two days last week and I forgot how insightful it was to the whole fundy missionary POV.

I'd love to talk about it with more depth once you read it. Please keep me in mind and we can start a thread bout it.

I read it when it first came out and although I was following fundy insanity then I was more interested in the not so subtle political under pinnings. I finished it in two days last week and I forgot how insightful it was to the whole fundy missionary POV.

I'd love to talk about it with more depth once you read it. Please keep me in mind and we can start a thread bout it.

Please count me in for a piece of that action ladies. I read it years ago and reread it about six months ago.

Please count me in for a piece of that action ladies. I read it years ago and reread it about six months ago.

I read it years ago too, but I remember it pretty well. I think a Poisonwood book discussion thread is an excellent idea.

Why is Zambia such a huge draw for fundies, especially since many Christian Zambians are the 'right' kind of Christian?

Oh wait, it's in Africa, they can show how 'charitable' and 'kind' they are to locals who, most likely, would rather not deal with it.

I re-read once a year, I'm in for some of this Poisonwood action too. One of my favorite books.

I re-read once a year, I'm in for some of this Poisonwood action too. One of my favorite books.

May as well be the charter members of the FJ Book Club. Give me a week; now that I'm up and about, I have almost a month's worth of backlogged crap to do that I couldn't do when I was homebound with my foot elevated.

Why is Zambia such a huge draw for fundies, especially since many Christian Zambians are the 'right' kind of Christian?

Oh wait, it's in Africa, they can show how 'charitable' and 'kind' they are to locals who, most likely, would rather not deal with it.

I think they should go to Western Europe and try to re-Christianize those godless heathens. Amsterdam's red light district would be a good place to start. Then they could travel north to Sweden and enjoy a little chat with Abba's Bjorn Ulvaeus, who now owns an atheist publishing house. Meanwhile, their children can be salt and light in the Euro public schools, since homeschooling is illegal in most of those countries.

Best part of the video was him saying that the people of Zambia "literally" broke their hearts. Ouch that must've hurt!!

Mine too, I'd love to join in on the discussion.

If you were Esther, wouldn't you be pissed? Not at going to Zambia, although it's irritating that they're going to bother the Zambians to begin with, but if you have all those kids, support them! If he doesn't have a job that provides shelter for the family, why doesn' she get one?

Hope to get the book in hand by early next week & then will need 2-3 days to read it.

If everyone else is ready, though, have at it; I'm sure it won't spoil my reading!

Mine too, I'd love to join in on the discussion.

If you were Esther, wouldn't you be pissed? Not at going to Zambia, although it's irritating that they're going to bother the Zambians to begin with, but if you have all those kids, support them! If he doesn't have a job that provides shelter for the family, why doesn' she get one?

Women don't work outside the home in the fundie world. They are the "helpmeets" for the family "headship," who is supposed to be the sole breadwinner. Many fundie families cheat though. Women make and sell stuff on Etsy (nothing wrong with that), others have blogs and make cash with the ad $$ generated by clicks. I doubt that living in a camper is conducive to Esther being able to sew stuff to sell; who knows if she can even sew? Besides, with 7 kids in that space with no help aside from the oldest spawn, where is she going to find time? Even ZZ gets a break with kids' naps and ability to go to another room while she types her screeds.

This move is totally a concession to the fact that the guy is pretty much a failure as a headship and has to resort to living off the largesse of the sponsoring church to support his family. Tying up in a pretty bow of missionary work may work for some people (I found the video on David/Pris' blog), but facts are facts; Pa Shrader is good at donating sperm, but not much else.

Based on what the couple we climbed Kili with my guess is because Zambia is pretty accepting of non monogamous relationships and is still extremely poor. My guess is that sounds like people to save to the shraders.

Women don't work outside the home in the fundie world. They are the "helpmeets" for the family "headship," who is supposed to be the sole breadwinner. Many fundie families cheat though. Women make and sell stuff on Etsy (nothing wrong with that), others have blogs and make cash with the ad $$ generated by clicks. I doubt that living in a camper is conducive to Esther being able to sew stuff to sell; who knows if she can even sew? Besides, with 7 kids in that space with no help aside from the oldest spawn, where is she going to find time? Even ZZ gets a break with kids' naps and ability to go to another room while she types her screeds.

This move is totally a concession to the fact that the guy is pretty much a failure as a headship and has to resort to living off the largesse of the sponsoring church to support his family. Tying up in a pretty bow of missionary work may work for some people (I found the video on David/Pris' blog), but facts are facts; Pa Shrader is good at donating sperm, but not much else.

I know, I know. It's something I just can't wrap my head around. If you can stay home with your kids, and want to, than all power to you, But when it starts to become obvious that the $$ isn't falling down from heaven (first clue -- a gazillion kids in a camper) one would think that somebody needs to get a paying job. It's not like he couldn't stay home with the kids, he's not working for money!

One of the umpteen things I just will never get about these families. Which is why I'm here, I suppose.

Archived