IGNORED

Gotta love non jugmental christians. NOT

doggie

A town clerk in rural New York has resigned her position rather than comply with the new marriage equality law, citing her religious convictions.

Politico reports on the resignation announced Tuesday by Laura Fotusky, the clerk in Barker, a small town near Binghamton in upstate New York. A Repubilcan elected twice to the post, she issued a statement on the website of New Yorkers for Constitutional Freedoms, a group of evangelical Protestants that led protests against the bill, which Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed into law last month.

“Fotusky, whose resignation is effective July 21, three days before legal gay marriage takes effect in New York, said she has no plans after she leaves her office, which paid $24,205 last year,†according to Politico.

In her letter, Fotusky cited her religious beliefs, saying, “The Bible clearly teaches that God created marriage between male and female as a divine gift that preserves families and cultures. Since I love and follow Him, I cannot put my signature on something that is against God.â€

She also argued that the religious exemptions in the law, which protect religious institutions that do not wish to solemnize same-sex weddings or provide facilities for the celebrations, are inadequate. The exemptions, which have met with approval from LGBT legal and civil rights groups, resulted from last-minute negotiations between the Cuomo administration and a trio of Republican senators. One of the lawmakers, Stephen Saland, joined three other members of his conference in voting for the bill.

“There was no protection provided in the legislation for town clerks who are unable to sign these marriage licenses due to personal religious convictions, even though our US Constitution supports freedom of religion,†said Fotusky.

"It is unfortunate that when state senators were busy protecting liberal special interests and padding their campaign accounts, that they failed to protect good people of faith,†said the Rev. Jason McGuire, executive director of New Yorkers for Constitutional Freedoms, which has been in contact with Fotusky about the law. The group plans to protest on July 24, the first day that same-sex couples will be eligible to marry in New York.

Cuomo, a former state attorney general who expressed respect for religious freedom while campaigning for marriage equality, said Tuesday that the clerk took the appropriate action by resigning.

"You don't get to say, 'I like this law and I'll enforce this law, or I don't like this law and I won't enforce this law' -- you can't do that," he said, according to the New York Daily News.

Fotusky is the second town clerk to express opposition to the new law, according to Politico. Barbara MacEwen, the clerk in Volney, said last month that she would not issue any marriage licenses to same-sex couples, but she later arranged for deputy clerks to sign the documents.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_N..._Equality_Law/

Good riddance. I'm sure if you looked hard enough in the Bible, you could find justification for not marrying people of different races or religions or justification for marrying children to adults. That doesn't mean you have a pass to not do or do, respectively, those things.

“There was no protection provided in the legislation for town clerks who are unable to sign these marriage licenses due to personal religious convictions, even though our US Constitution supports freedom of religion,†said Fotusky.

Well tough. If gays are expected to steer clear of churches, then she can steer clear of a government job. If she thinks she should be able to keep her job and discriminate, then why shouldn't churches be forced to participate? Her job is/was to do as the law says (and she had a position of authority over men because, if she decided to not sign a certificate, a man couldn't marry), not to give her personally feeling. The constitution has separation of church and state, and any gay marriage bans violate that as the basis for bans is all "because god said so." So if she wants to blend the lines, then she had no place in government. The protections she's talking about shouldn't extend to those on the payroll. There's freedom of religion, but that doesn't mean she should be paid to use her religion in a government position to violate the rights of others.

Good riddance and good-bye to her, and no, she probably won't qualify for unemployment.

I see the positive:

She quit and saved all these lovely gay couples from having to deal with her judgmental ass.

I'm glad to see a Christian actually doing the right thing. She removed her bigoted self from office. Now she can't use her position to impose her backward superstitions upon others.

Buh-bye, Ms. Fotusky. You should probably be at home being feminine anyhow.

“The Bible clearly teaches that God created marriage between male and female as a divine gift that preserves families and cultures. Since I love and follow Him, I cannot put my signature on something that is against God.â€

Can someone give me a cite to where God says marriage exists to preserve cultures? Can someone show me where God says families only involve people who can reproduce children? I got news for you, lady. I love God too, and I'm quite sure he'll be happy to see love celebrated among more members of his children come July 24. Sheesh.

i could explain to you where the bible said those things, but i'm a woman and therefore incapable of biblical interpretation. i'll have to ask my headship.

what a twat.

Guest Anonymous
A Repubilcan elected twice to the post, she issued a statement on the website of New Yorkers for Constitutional Freedoms, a group of evangelical Protestants that led protests against the bill, which Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed into law last month.

She also argued that the religious exemptions in the law, which protect religious institutions that do not wish to solemnize same-sex weddings or provide facilities for the celebrations, are inadequate. The exemptions, which have met with approval from LGBT legal and civil rights groups, resulted from last-minute negotiations between the Cuomo administration and a trio of Republican senators. One of the lawmakers, Stephen Saland, joined three other members of his conference in voting for the bill.

"It is unfortunate that when state senators were busy protecting liberal special interests and padding their campaign accounts, that they failed to protect good people of faith,†said the Rev. Jason McGuire, executive director of New Yorkers for Constitutional Freedoms, which has been in contact with Fotusky about the law. The group plans to protest on July 24, the first day that same-sex couples will be eligible to marry in New York.

These New Yorkers for Constitutional Freedoms need to change their name, because the last time I looked the Constitution granted US citizens equal protection under the law and while private institutions may do as they wish, public institutions may not discrimate on the basis of religion. As a public servant she is rightfully excluded from the religious exemptions in the law and should quit whining about her bigotry no longer being legal.

At least she simply up and left. That's got to be far better than her staying on and pulling all sorts of illegal discrimination stunts -- remember that judge in Louisiana not long ago who still wouldn't marry interracial couples?

She can go be bigoted wherever she likes, but it won't be in public office. Good.

I see the positive:

She quit and saved all these lovely gay couples from having to deal with her judgmental ass.

:text-+1:

Probably because these clerks are, by definition, supposed to hold up the laws of where they work for, whether or not they necessarily agree with them.

I see the positive:

This.

Archived