Deleted07

I think my favorite epi. was when Becky and her friend got drunk on "tornados" when Dan and Roseanne were gone for the day. Classic!

I liked that episode, but whenever I watch it I get pissed at how the friend's mom treated Dan and Roseanne.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome. When she learns how to hammer, would you send her my way?

Sure. She loves to "help."

That's exactly what I meant when I wrote my previous post. I don't see how anyone can look at old footage of Jon Benet Ramsey or those little girls on Toddlers and Tiaras and not think those kids are being sexualized. Another time, I watched an episode of Dance Moms where the mom got into a fight with Abby Lee about the little girl's costume. The kid ended up going onstage wearing a white outfit that looked like a bra and panties. This girl was maybe nine or ten years old at the most. Maybe I'm just getting too damn old, but I would never let any child of mine go onstage (or on TV) wearing such a skimpy outfit.

As far as the Disney Channel teens are concerned, they do have secondary sexual characteristics. It's normal for teenage girls to want to push the limits and show off, but at the same time it's also normal for their moms to say, "You are not leaving this house dressed like a prostitute. Go put on some clothes!" Or at least it used to be that way. I grew up during the era of the Madonna wanna-be. But I never saw little kids dressed like that. There was always a difference between the clothes worn by teens vs. the clothes worn by children. Now they dress the same.

While I think you have a point, I did want to point out that in many non-Western areas of the world, it is common and considered appropriate for children to walk around wearing little to no clothing when the weather is hot. Also, the REASON that Disney Channel stars have secondary sex characteristics is because they are often far older than the characters they play. Maybe what you are really upset that the Disney Channel is casting 17 year olds to play 13/14 year olds, and trying to convince children in their tweens/teens that they should look like grown or nearly grown women? That's a real issue and I would agree with you, but jean skirts wont solve the problem.

Also, in dance, costumes are often skimpy even on children because you are judged on the smallest elements of posture, your lines while moving, etc. A costume that hides your body EVEN A LITTLE can significantly impact your score. The judges need to see you to judge you. The moms should know that. And it was more than a bikini.

That's exactly what I meant when I wrote my previous post. I don't see how anyone can look at old footage of Jon Benet Ramsey or those little girls on Toddlers and Tiaras and not think those kids are being sexualized. Another time, I watched an episode of Dance Moms where the mom got into a fight with Abby Lee about the little girl's costume. The kid ended up going onstage wearing a white outfit that looked like a bra and panties. This girl was maybe nine or ten years old at the most. Maybe I'm just getting too damn old, but I would never let any child of mine go onstage (or on TV) wearing such a skimpy outfit.

As far as the Disney Channel teens are concerned, they do have secondary sexual characteristics. It's normal for teenage girls to want to push the limits and show off, but at the same time it's also normal for their moms to say, "You are not leaving this house dressed like a prostitute. Go put on some clothes!" Or at least it used to be that way. I grew up during the era of the Madonna wanna-be. But I never saw little kids dressed like that. There was always a difference between the clothes worn by teens vs. the clothes worn by children. Now they dress the same.

I'm pretty sure I'll get flamed for this (and I see another thread has been started about it and I'm not even going there) but I think Family Guy summed it up pretty well when the family ran away to Texas ("You're going to Texas to escape religious persecution?!") and Lois dressed Stewie up for a beauty pageant. The line that was actually edited out at one point. Stewie looks at himself all dressed up and says "Well this is first class ticket to a semen stained death in the basement".

There is a different because a child of around 3 or 4 walking around naked on a hot day and a child of around 3 or 4 dressing up like a whore. Big difference. They emphasize their non existent breasts and wear far too much make up while wearing an outfit that is too short and too tight. They aren't trying to look cute; they are trying to look sexy. There is a massive different between dressing a child (at 3 or even 12) to be sexy, and a teenager wearing a low cut shirt with a mini skirt.

On that note, I will agree that there is a problem with grown adults playing the roles of children on tv shows. That is definitely part of the problem. (honestly, I didn't even think about it until it was mentioned) I suspect that's done - partly - due to child labour laws.

And on a completely different side note: How do reality shows get around those??

This episode was beautiful...

izGw9QGMVuY

Oh I have to find an awesome clip now. This was really cool! I love that they smoked pot on tv. Such a cutting edge show. Damn I miss roseanne. Fucking love that show.

If the “Becky gets drunk†episode had been done by Full House, it would have been Kimmy Gibler, and some tertiary friends who tried to get DJ to drink the tornadoes with them. DJ would have, of course declined and tried to talk them out of it. Something bad would have happened to one of the tertiary friends (alcohol poisoning, getting hit by a car … something). There would have been a serious talk (probably in the hospital waiting room) between Danny and DJ – you knew when those were coming because of the “here comes a serious moment†music. DJ would then promise to never ever let anyone pressure her to do anything she didn’t want to do, ever, and not to drink until she was 21, and maybe not even then! Cue hugging.

Gag. Did anyone ever actually take anything usable away from those preachy-type shows? I thought Roseanne did it much better. “Hey kids! Get into the parents’ liquor, and you will end up in huge trouble while also feeling like complete hungover shit!†Not: “Hey kids, get into the parents’ liquor and SOMEONE WILL SURELY DIE!â€

Great lesson, until some kid tries drinking and nothing bad happens, and nobody dies. Hey! My parents lied! Wonder what else they are lying about…

I've got a couple of photos of Roseanne with a joint in her mouth, in the RW. Ya gotta remember she had a load of old potheads working on that show. You had O' Keefe and Mull, Snuffy doing the music and Bonnie Bramlett.

In the RW Roseanne was a Deadhead (ergo the name of the baby) and always willing to party at a California show.

If the “Becky gets drunk†episode had been done by Full House, it would have been Kimmy Gibler, and some tertiary friends who tried to get DJ to drink the tornadoes with them. DJ would have, of course declined and tried to talk them out of it. Something bad would have happened to one of the tertiary friends (alcohol poisoning, getting hit by a car … something). There would have been a serious talk (probably in the hospital waiting room) between Danny and DJ – you knew when those were coming because of the “here comes a serious moment†music. DJ would then promise to never ever let anyone pressure her to do anything she didn’t want to do, ever, and not to drink until she was 21, and maybe not even then! Cue hugging.

Gag. Did anyone ever actually take anything usable away from those preachy-type shows? I thought Roseanne did it much better. “Hey kids! Get into the parents’ liquor, and you will end up in huge trouble while also feeling like complete hungover shit!†Not: “Hey kids, get into the parents’ liquor and SOMEONE WILL SURELY DIE!â€

Great lesson, until some kid tries drinking and nothing bad happens, and nobody dies. Hey! My parents lied! Wonder what else they are lying about…

lol there actually was a full house episode where kimmy got drunk at a college party! all that really happened though was that DJ got really embarrassed by her drunkeness

On that note, I will agree that there is a problem with grown adults playing the roles of children on tv shows. That is definitely part of the problem. (honestly, I didn't even think about it until it was mentioned) I suspect that's done - partly - due to child labour laws.

And on a completely different side note: How do reality shows get around those??

Most states don't have laws protecting minors in entertainment. In particular with reality shows the production companies frequently lie and call it a documentary. Only a few states (two or three?) have declared that the BS that it is and said the children are working and have entertainment labor laws that apply.

lol there actually was a full house episode where kimmy got drunk at a college party! all that really happened though was that DJ got really embarrassed by her drunkeness

Actually, there was an episode like this. But it was one of Stephanie's friends. DJ scolded her after the fact and when the friends called her stuck up she did this whole "my mom was killed by a drunk driver" thing. Which I think was pretty much the only time it was mentioned. Anyhow, The friends came over to get Stephanie but DJ guilted her into staying home. They found out later the friends were screwing around and driving on the wrong side of the road and got hit by a truck and died. Everyone was sad and crying. And by the next episode, it was like it never even happened.

ETA: So I guess she didn't die. But nonetheless, it's really unrealistic. (It's in two parts)

l8abYy-U2j8

AYCYeO8SQqE

Most states don't have laws protecting minors in entertainment. In particular with reality shows the production companies frequently lie and call it a documentary. Only a few states (two or three?) have declared that the BS that it is and said the children are working and have entertainment labor laws that apply.

I know here in PA the gosslins and TLC were actually cited for violating child labour laws. (When you install cameras in your house to literally film everything and essentially have your children living on a sound stage, what do you seriously expect?) But as long as they promised to never to do it again, they wouldn't get in trouble. Oooo

It took a lot of work by a lot of people to convince PA to do anything at all about the Gosselin kids. At first the state wanted to claim that the laws didn't apply. That was due to the documentary excuse.

It took a lot of work by a lot of people to convince PA to do anything at all about the Gosselin kids. At first the state wanted to claim that the laws didn't apply. That was due to the documentary excuse.

Because the state made a lot of money off of them. It was sickening. They never did anything to protect anyone. They never protected the children. Any time I drove by their house (bc it was one the way to my friends house) there were always paparazzi in the bushes outside their home and causing traffic problems. And when the divorce hit the news?! My ex was actually late to work thank to all the traffic they caused. The news crews were in a parking lot next a pizza shop that is semi popular in town. We got pizza there shortly after that and they were complaining about the lost revenue due to the news stations clogging everything up. Just tonight, on my way home, I heard on the radio that she's teaming with a local station for something with the special olympics. For someone who never wanted to be bothered to do anything local because it was beneath her, she must really be hurting for money.

So what was actually done about the Gosselins? I stopped watching that show when I realized I wanted to punch my television, and I haven't really paid attention to them since. Katie Irene and her peon make me sick.

One of my all-time favorite episodes of Roseanne was when DJ discovered masturbation and was locking himself in the bathroom for long periods of time to "take care of business." Darlene wisecracked that DJ was "either really, really good at it or really, really bad at it." When it was speculated that DJ could turn into a serial killer, Darlene asked "how much damage can he do with one hand?" As I recall, unlike Seinfeld, Roseanne actually used the "m" word.

o_HfjqdmMS0

Te5nMVW0Sn4

Not a lot was done about the Gosselins. About all I can remember is that the last season or maybe two a small percentage of what the family was paid had to be put in trust for the children, but it could be used for their welfare such as clothes, education, medical, etc. I doubt that there is any of that money left.

Actually, there was an episode like this. But it was one of Stephanie's friends. DJ scolded her after the fact and when the friends called her stuck up she did this whole "my mom was killed by a drunk driver" thing. Which I think was pretty much the only time it was mentioned. Anyhow, The friends came over to get Stephanie but DJ guilted her into staying home. They found out later the friends were screwing around and driving on the wrong side of the road and got hit by a truck and died. Everyone was sad and crying. And by the next episode, it was like it never even happened.

ETA: So I guess she didn't die. But nonetheless, it's really unrealistic.

You might be thinking of "Growing Pains." There was an episode where Tracey Gold's boyfriend (played by Matthew Perry) died in a drunk driving accident.

Opening the thread with fresh eyes this morning, I realized that's exactly what it is. I wonder if he had to pick up a "talent" while he and Deanna were broken up to get back in her good graces. After all, she held all the cards, having custody of Amy.

As for what Joe may have graduated from, I think on the show episode they showed both him and Josiah taking "prep" courses while still in "high school." Guess what, fools, you can do that at the local CC down the road, for about $30/unit. Yeah, College Minus is comped for these fools, but for everyone else who falls for the scam, that's thousands down the drain, all in the name of "protecting" your kid from the evil, outside world.

There's exactly 1 community college in the 4 county area around the Duggars, and it starts at $72.50 a credit hour. It would be $117.50 a credit hour for the Duggars because they don't live in the Rogers school district.

It's pretty irrelevant since they'll never attend there, but it pretty much pisses me right off that it's so hard to access and pay for college in Arkansas for most people, when many states put much more emphasis on college for everyone by keeping the costs low.

The two on the right side are next to vents. Why the hell would someone compromise their duct work?

It's not hard to cut a little drywall out and mount something in there. I've done it in the knee wall in my bathroom. Also, that's a cold air return, and they built the house, so they know where the ducts are.

Jinger is gorgeous.

Gorgeous as in gorgeousER than I've ever seen her. She was always the least attractive of the 4 older girls IMO. Massive improvement.

They found out later the friends were screwing around and driving on the wrong side of the road and got hit by a truck and died. Everyone was sad and crying. And by the next episode, it was like it never even happened.

That happened in an episode of 7th heaven too. Lucy was going to go to a party with her friends and they left with out her and ran into a telephone pole and Lucy flipped out when Matt told her because she was supposed to be in the car. I only remember it because it was one of the few episodes that made me cry.

Jinger does need to step away from the spray tan, but her hair is a damn sight better than it was before.

OMG, Steve Maxwell!

Archived