Deleted07

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darlene was my favorite until she turned downright abusive towards her husband in the last couple of seasons. Of course, by then everyone was so far removed from their original characterization that it was barely the same show.

I just asked her if she's ever heard of Gothardism and if so, what's her take on it.

*fingers crossed* hope she channels Roseanne Conner and goes off about it LoL

I heard something like that. And she refuses to talk about how the character would have turned out (aside from saying DJ died in Iraq) because she's saving it for a future movie or book or something.

Darlene was always my favourite. I loved her take no shit attitude. She may have inspired my fascination with dying my hair black.

Last I heard she was running for president. Seriously. And that was only a few weeks ago.

Yes, Roseanne was running for the Green Party nomination, but they gave it to Dr. Jill Stein.

I grew up wishing Dan had been my dad.

I wasn't allowed to watch as a kid, so I spent my early twenties watching it every night on Nick @ Nite and I too wished Dan had been my dad. If I ever meet John Goodman I'll probaly ask him for a bear hug.

Yeah, also don't think Jinger is gorgeous. I've said before that I think all the girls are "default pretty". They're young with no major flaws. They have a youthful prettiness and don't have anything major to detract from it, although the orange tans are getting a bit extreme. They're pretty because they're not ugly. I am amazed that not a single teenager in that house has a problem with acne, but I guess it's just genetics. None of them has bad teeth or skin, freaky hair, or a non-standard body shape, so they're nothing special but pretty by default.

I agree on the "default pretty" analysis, but there does seem to be some serious acne in the gene pool. Josiah has been filmed with a major case of acne (Santorum video maybe) along with Jana, although she tries to cover it up by troweling on makeup.

I wasn't allowed to watch as a kid, so I spent my early twenties watching it every night on Nick @ Nite and I too wished Dan had been my dad. If I ever meet John Goodman I'll probaly ask him for a bear hug.

I love John Goodman in general. He was a fabulous Dad on that show. He was a bit hard on them at times, and I felt like he gave in sometimes when he shouldn't have but hey, no one is perfect. He certainly let that snob of a bitch becky have it. She was so fucking annoying and such a snob. There was an episode where she wanted this dress for a dance and when Roseanne said she couldn't afford it because it was $70, Becky freaked out and threw a huge hissy fit and left the store, leaving Roseanne embarrassed. She even refused to talk to anyone bc she didn't get her precious dress. She was a teenager, too old to be acting like that. But then Dan wanted to return the $70 shoes he just bought so they decided to get her the dress instead. Even if I were going to return the shoes, I wouldn't buy her that dress because she was being a spoiled little bitch and didn't deserve it anymore.

Anyhow, John Goodman is fucking awesome. He does great voice acting, too. I would love to meet him.

I love Roseanne, too! I would give almost anything for her to get hold of Jim Bob! It would be amazing!!! She would rip him a new one, then go after Gil and finally Gothard himself!

She'd be a FJ Superhero!

*edited* Roseanne Connor the character, not Roseanne Barr as she is now.

Roseanne Barr would also rip Michelle apart I hate to be cruel, but I would love it if she went after some of the Duggar kids. Someone like her would probably tell the J'Slaves to get the hell out of the TTH.

I love John Goodman in general. He was a fabulous Dad on that show. He was a bit hard on them at times, and I felt like he gave in sometimes when he shouldn't have but hey, no one is perfect. He certainly let that snob of a bitch becky have it. She was so fucking annoying and such a snob. There was an episode where she wanted this dress for a dance and when Roseanne said she couldn't afford it because it was $70, Becky freaked out and threw a huge hissy fit and left the store, leaving Roseanne embarrassed. She even refused to talk to anyone bc she didn't get her precious dress. She was a teenager, too old to be acting like that. But then Dan wanted to return the $70 shoes he just bought so they decided to get her the dress instead. Even if I were going to return the shoes, I wouldn't buy her that dress because she was being a spoiled little bitch and didn't deserve it anymore.

Anyhow, John Goodman is fucking awesome. He does great voice acting, too. I would love to meet him.

Out of the Roseanne cast, John was my favorite and I thought he was the most talented cast member followed by Laurie Metcalfe and Sara Gilbert.

Actually, Becky is a pretty good representation of a typical teenager. I can remember acting like her sometimes. Plus, there were times when Becky had a right to throw a fit. I remember an episode where she was filling out applications for college and was told (at the last minute) that she couldn't afford to go because her parents spent her college fund on an ill-advised business venture. Both sides (parents and kids) were a little screwed up and both a little wrong most of the time, which is why the show resonates with so many people.

Actually, Becky is a pretty good representation of a typical teenager. I can remember acting like her sometimes. Plus, there were times when Becky had a right to throw a fit. I remember an episode where she was filling out applications for college and was told (at the last minute) that she couldn't afford to go because her parents spent her college fund on an ill-advised business venture. Both sides (parents and kids) were a little screwed up and both a little wrong most of the time, which is why the show resonates with so many people.

Oh I completely agree with you! She is a typical teenager and I admit to acting like that sometimes, too. Not with clothes, but similar situations. And the episode about college - yeah, that was bullshit and completely unfair. I'm not still not sure why she couldn't take out a student loan. Weren't they easier to get then?

I also remember an episode where they came into money for something and they all wanted to get something but roseanne and dan decided to save it, but then went behind each others backs and got something for themselves. But they then went out and got the kids what they wanted, including becky's designer jeans. Becky just always reminded me of a snob. Like when they all went to dinner bc someone died and left them money. Darlene didn't feel it was right to celebrate and becky was really snobby about it, making a comment about how Darlene borrows money from their parents. She had every intention of paying back, and at least she actually worked her ass off to go to school, unlike becky who just ran away with her boyfriend and didn't even finish high school.

John Goodman/Dan was really supportive though. He let David move in with them. (That was more Roseanne but Dan didn't fight her when she explained her reasoning) He treated him like a son and was - for the most part - very good to him.

Bottom line: We need more shows like Roseanne (with real families having real struggles) and less shows like 19kac. The Conners, for all their faults, were better parents than the Duggars.

Oh I completely agree with you! She is a typical teenager and I admit to acting like that sometimes, too. Not with clothes, but similar situations. And the episode about college - yeah, that was bullshit and completely unfair. I'm not still not sure why she couldn't take out a student loan. Weren't they easier to get then?

I also remember an episode where they came into money for something and they all wanted to get something but roseanne and dan decided to save it, but then went behind each others backs and got something for themselves. But they then went out and got the kids what they wanted, including becky's designer jeans. Becky just always reminded me of a snob. Like when they all went to dinner bc someone died and left them money. Darlene didn't feel it was right to celebrate and becky was really snobby about it, making a comment about how Darlene borrows money from their parents. She had every intention of paying back, and at least she actually worked her ass off to go to school, unlike becky who just ran away with her boyfriend and didn't even finish high school.

John Goodman/Dan was really supportive though. He let David move in with them. (That was more Roseanne but Dan didn't fight her when she explained her reasoning) He treated him like a son and was - for the most part - very good to him.

Bottom line: We need more shows like Roseanne (with real families having real struggles) and less shows like 19kac. The Conners, for all their faults, were better parents than the Duggars.

Except Becky only did that because she had no future. She couldn't afford to go to college, thanks to her parents, even after all those years of working hard in school (she's shown to be a much more serious student than Darlene) I could see how she wouldn't even bother to finish high school, seeing as at that point there wasn't any reason for her to. I'm not sure if student loans were easier to get back then but there could have been several reasons for her to not take them, even if she could. Her parents' poor history with finances could have been an issue, as well as the fact that they definitely wouldn't have been able to co-sign for any loans for her, if she needed them to. I can also see why she would have been snobby to Darlene about celebrating with the money they were given. I like Darlene and all but she was the worst killjoy ever, and seemed to delight in making everyone as miserable as she seemingly ended up. And neither girl had a very good head when I came to future plans. Becky got married and ran off because she couldn't afford college and didn't Darlene end up not graduating college due to getting pregnant?

ETA: I do totally agree about the Conners loving their kids more than the Duggars (then again, that's not saying very much) When the last episode aired and it was revealed that Dan had died after his heart attack, one of the worst aspects for me was that Roseanne and his baby (Gerry Garcia?) was never going to really know his father, and neither would his grandkids.

Except Becky only did that because she had no future. She couldn't afford to go to college, thanks to her parents, even after all those years of working hard in school (she's shown to be a much more serious student than Darlene) I could see how she wouldn't even bother to finish high school, seeing as at that point there wasn't any reason for her to. I'm not sure if student loans were easier to get back then but there could have been several reasons for her to not take them, even if she could. Her parents' poor history with finances could have been an issue, as well as the fact that they definitely wouldn't have been able to co-sign for any loans for her, if she needed them to. I can also see why she would have been snobby to Darlene about celebrating with the money they were given. I like Darlene and all but she was the worst killjoy ever, and seemed to delight in making everyone as miserable as she seemingly ended up. And neither girl had a very good head when I came to future plans. Becky got married and ran off because she couldn't afford college and didn't Darlene end up not graduating college due to getting pregnant?

ETA: I do totally agree about the Conners loving their kids more than the Duggars (then again, that's not saying very much) When the last episode aired and it was revealed that Dan had died after his heart attack, one of the worst aspects for me was that Roseanne and his baby (Gerry Garcia?) was never going to really know his father, and neither would his grandkids.

Quick note: That last episode was bull. A huge "Fuck You" to the audience

That aside, I think Darlene had a plan for finishing school with a baby but the whole "we won't the lottery" thing pushed it to the side, along with having a premature baby. I don't entirely remember. The last season was kind of shitty anyway. The lottery thing was kind of stupid.

I really have no idea about the college loans. I was a toddler when the show was on so I watched reruns. I agree that Darlene was a killjoy but she just didn't sugar coat anything. I guess that's what attracts me to her. My dad often accuses me of being negative. I'm not a pessimist, just a realist. But to each their own.

Can you image the duggars taking in a child who came from an abusive home? Especially one that was interested in one of their children? Because I definitely can't. I don't think the duggars would even take in another child like that. They seemed to pretend to do it in the first season. (Duggars and Daughters when JB took the girls camping and they brought along two other girls whose fathers had died. They duggar girls even said he takes on a father role to the kids who don't have one. But I call bullshit.) They obviously were just pretending to care bc those kids have never been mentioned again. And they've never taken other children anywhere with them since then.

Heh, I'm a sucker for a downer ending so I kinda liked the last episode. Except for Becky and Darlene switching husbands, because that makes no goddamn sense! The only reason Roseanne and Dan didn't have Becky's marriage to Mark annulled when it first happened was because she was only a few months from being 18 at the time. They figured that, even if they got it thrown out on the grounds that she was only 17, she'd just marry him again once she turned 18 but she would hate them. But Darlene is a year or two (I forget which) younger than Becky so if it was her marrying Mark, there was no way in hell the Conners would have let their 15 or 16 year old daughter run off and stay married to someone as old as Mark. On the other hand, if it was Becky marrying David when she was 17, that doesn't make sense either. Becky only eloped with Mark because he was moving out of state due to having a really good job lined up. But I think David is the same age as Darlene, so I seriously doubt he would have been moving out of town to pursue a good job opportunity.

Darlene was my favorite but there were a lot of times I thought she was annoying. There's a place for realism (I get accused of being a pessimist a lot too) and not sugar coating things, but there's also a time and place where shoving negativity down everyone's throat isn't appropriate either.

Of course the Duggars would never take in someone who needed help. Frankly, I'm shocked they allowed that foreign exchange student around their precious little blessings. I'm wondering how thoroughly that kid was screened before he was deemed "acceptable" and unlikely to try and corrupt any of the kids. Imagine if a kid from an abusive background ended up on their doorstep- someone who had been exposed to violence, drinking, drug use, swearing, sexual situations (maybe even a teen who *gasp* wasn’t a virgin) They’d boot the kid out the door so fast their welcome mat would burst into flames.

Heh, I'm a sucker for a downer ending so I kinda liked the last episode. Except for Becky and Darlene switching husbands, because that makes no goddamn sense! The only reason Roseanne and Dan didn't have Becky's marriage to Mark annulled when it first happened was because she was only a few months from being 18 at the time. They figured that, even if they got it thrown out on the grounds that she was only 17, she'd just marry him again once she turned 18 but she would hate them. But Darlene is a year or two (I forget which) younger than Becky so if it was her marrying Mark, there was no way in hell the Conners would have let their 15 or 16 year old daughter run off and stay married to someone as old as Mark. On the other hand, if it was Becky marrying David when she was 17, that doesn't make sense either. Becky only eloped with Mark because he was moving out of state due to having a really good job lined up. But I think David is the same age as Darlene, so I seriously doubt he would have been moving out of town to pursue a good job opportunity.

Darlene was my favorite but there were a lot of times I thought she was annoying. There's a place for realism (I get accused of being a pessimist a lot too) and not sugar coating things, but there's also a time and place where shoving negativity down everyone's throat isn't appropriate either.

Of course the Duggars would never take in someone who needed help. Frankly, I'm shocked they allowed that foreign exchange student around their precious little blessings. I'm wondering how thoroughly that kid was screened before he was deemed "acceptable" and unlikely to try and corrupt any of the kids. Imagine if a kid from an abusive background ended up on their doorstep- someone who had been exposed to violence, drinking, drug use, swearing, sexual situations (maybe even a teen who *gasp* wasn’t a virgin) They’d boot the kid out the door so fast their welcome mat would burst into flames.

I think the foreign exchange student was Gothard/fundie approved. There are exchange programs/organizations that cater to people who only want certain students. Back in the late 90s/early 00s , I knew a few Catholic families in New Mexico who took in Catholic students from Ireland through some exchange program.

Overall I agree, the Duggars would never take a child or teenager who has been abused. The only way I could ever see them taking in a kid is if some fundie or fundie lite couple with no extended family died and left behind a child.

I figured he had to have been Gothard approved but I guess I wasn't sure because he appeared to be Asian and I wasn't aware of Gothardism having spread to any Asian countries. Then again, there are pictures up-thread of an Asian family at the graduation so maybe the cult has found footing in other places in the world. Sad.

I liked the last episode because the Roseanne Conner character was supposed to be a woman who'd given up her dreams of becoming a writer to get married and raise a family. Then in the end, it turned out that she really was a writer and the show was the story of her family, except she had changed things around the way writers do. It made perfect sense to me. As a writer myself, I could identify with it.

As for the rest of that last season... I didn't like most of the episodes at the time they first aired, but I enjoy watching them in reruns now. I see them as Roseanne Barr's take on her own rage-to-riches experience. Also, by that point John Goodman had left the show and the girls were grown and attending college in real life, so the writers had to make the necessary adaptations.

Funny how the fictional Conner family seems more real than the Duggars.

I figured he had to have been Gothard approved but I guess I wasn't sure because he appeared to be Asian and I wasn't aware of Gothardism having spread to any Asian countries. Then again, there are pictures up-thread of an Asian family at the graduation so maybe the cult has found footing in other places in the world. Sad.

I assume the Asian family are American, but yes, Gothard has done some outreach in Asia - where was it that Jana and John David went for ATI mission, Thailand?

Gothard doesn't do "outreach" in Asia. It's probably more like missionary work and it's probably coercive to at least some extent.

Can you image the duggars taking in a child who came from an abusive home? Especially one that was interested in one of their children? Because I definitely can't. I don't think the duggars would even take in another child like that. They seemed to pretend to do it in the first season. (Duggars and Daughters when JB took the girls camping and they brought along two other girls whose fathers had died. They duggar girls even said he takes on a father role to the kids who don't have one. But I call bullshit.) They obviously were just pretending to care bc those kids have never been mentioned again. And they've never taken other children anywhere with them since then.

Actually the Query girls are seen quite often about The Duggar household and in photos etc, even in the recent graduation pics. They just haven't been *spotlighted* and specifically talked about since the Father/Daughter thing for whatever reason. (I may be wrong, but isn't their Mother the piano teacher? But I definitely remember the older Query girl(s) at the very least helping the younger ones with their music!)

Whenever they are seen they always seem to be taking care of the young babies, Josie etc or the Howlers.

But for sure, I can guarantee the only reason they take such an interest in this family is because they are a good Christian family. They would never physically reach out to someone who had say, runaway from an abusive Father, or came from the wrong side of tracks and didn't share their beliefs!!!

20120707_Graduation_0033.jpg

Are those church pews in the TTH? Do they actually own their own pews? Where do they keep them when they aren't having "church"?

Actually the Query girls are seen quite often about The Duggar household and in photos etc, even in the recent graduation pics. They just haven't been *spotlighted* and specifically talked about since the Father/Daughter thing for whatever reason. (I may be wrong, but isn't their Mother the piano teacher? But I definitely remember the older Query girl(s) at the very least helping the younger ones with their music!)

Whenever they are seen they always seem to be taking care of the young babies, Josie etc or the Howlers.

But for sure, I can guarantee the only reason they take such an interest in this family is because they are a good Christian family. They would never physically reach out to someone who had say, runaway from an abusive Father, or came from the wrong side of tracks and didn't share their beliefs!!!

The girls in the first season episode weren't sisters and weren't Query girls. They do consistently mentions certain families likes the Querys (weren't they helping take care of the younger ones when Josie was born and all the older kids were doing "mission" work?) Those two specific girls have never been seen again, at least not that I can recall.

Back to the Conners real quick: I do find it ironic that the their family seems more real than the Duggars. I think it's because they are. Most families have two or three kids and are struggling to survive while both parents work two, three, four jobs between them. Very few families have nearly two dozen children and with one stay at home parent and one barely working parent. The Conners had real problems and their characters had dynamic. They cried, they yelled, they screamed, they made up. Hell Jackie had an abusive boyfriend who beat the shit out of her. And instead of submitting or praying (like a fundie would, assuming they were married) Roseanne took her the hospital and then packed up her stuff while Dan beat the shit out of him. They had parent teacher conferences. They made mistakes and admitted them and had to pay for them. The Duggars never have and never will do that.

Are those church pews in the TTH? Do they actually own their own pews? Where do they keep them when they aren't having "church"?

Yes! Those are pews!! They probably keep them in storage when it isn't church day. Or maybe the pews move around from house to house depending on who is hosting that night. But I would suspect they keep them there since they have a "home church". Nice way around property taxes.

My atheist friend has a pew on her front porch. I don't remember where she got it, but it's nice and sturdy.

Archived