IGNORED

A Homeschoolers Realizations about College...

Deleted07

Have you ever had a homeschooled student who made a good transition into public education? Was it someone who'd been homeschooled her/his entire life or someone who was homeschooled briefly?

One of my room mates in college was homeschooled and she did very well. She got her GED at 16 and started taking classes at a community college and then transferred to our school when she finished her AA degree. She went on to law school and works in tax law now. She wasn't homeschooled for religious reasons they lived in the middle of nowhere and the local school wasn't that good. Her mom did want the kids on a bus for an hour a day to go to a poor school.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m not making a point about the teacher, I am making the point that people on here say a lot of homeschoolers are ill equipped to handle college and I am saying maybe it is the other way around.

1. It was not a remedial class it was a general ed class needed for an AA.

2. This was not just a refresher lesson. These students had no idea what a thesis statement was and many still did not get it after an extensive lesson. This teacher was a good teacher too.

3. This was my point. College age students have no excuse for being lazy except that the system is set up to promote laziness. Those students who did not do the homework correctly still got credit for the homework and passed the class and in my opinion that teaches students nothing.

4. This teacher I give props to. The lazy students who missed more than 3 or 4 classes she withdrew.

5. I would also think this was an assumption if I had not gone on to win first place in my state’s 4-H public speaking contest with that speech. Also the assignment the professor gave was to give a speech about something you wanted to make people aware of. Some people did speeches on puppy mills, vegan lifestyles etc. I chose homeschooling.

Yes A community college is different than a university but it sends me a red flag when I am being taught things in any college that I already learned in 6th grade.

1. Since generally community colleges accept all applicants introductory classes are often taught to the lowest common denominator. It would be hard for some one who didn't know basic grammar to be accepted into a decent 4 year school.

2. See above. Also community colleges are dealing with more people who are not coming directly from high school. Some student may be 20 years from 6th grade and need the refresher. If you were so far beyond the other students in the class you could have fulfilled the requirement by AP or CLEP.

3. Lazy people are lazy regardless of their education. They will always find ways to be lazy.

4. See above.

5. Your making an assumption that the teacher gave you a bad grade because they didn't like your topic. Did you ask why you were graded the way you were ? I didn't take speech but we always got a breakdown from my teachers when we did a presentation of how we scored on each requirement.

Public schools have issue but I wouldn't judge everyone by your experience in community college.

I might get blasted for this, but I think that just as it's a mistake to assume that homeschooling doesn't always prepare a child well for college, it's a mistake to assume that public schooling always DOES prepare a child well for college.

We live in a rural community. I homeschooled my now 20 year old daughter all the way through her school years. After high school, she enrolled in college full-time while also working full-time as the manager of a print shop, and supporting herself completely. She was on the dean's list every semester except for one. She had no problems with social interaction in classes.

But the stories she told me about her public-schooled peers were, well, shocking. Kids who couldn't write complete sentences. Kids who not only hadn't read the classics, they'd never even HEARD of the classics. (One girl said, when Jane Austen was mentioned in conversation, "Oh, I'm not up on the newer actresses.") Kids who had poor time management skills because they were accustomed to learning taking place only from 9-3. Kids who had poor study skills because their senior year was filled with fluff classes.

Certainly, some public schools are better than others, and some kids will learn no matter what the environment is like, because they're self-motivated. I just think that when these "homeschooling is so awful" discussions come up, it's important to remember that in some cases, the flip side - public school - is not a great option, either.

My point exactly. The system is the problem not necessarily the teachers or students. Participation trophy mentality has seeped into our education system.

I might get blasted for this, but I think that just as it's a mistake to assume that homeschooling doesn't always prepare a child well for college, it's a mistake to assume that public schooling always DOES prepare a child well for college.

We live in a rural community. I homeschooled my now 20 year old daughter all the way through her school years. After high school, she enrolled in college full-time while also working full-time as the manager of a print shop, and supporting herself completely. She was on the dean's list every semester except for one. She had no problems with social interaction in classes.

But the stories she told me about her public-schooled peers were, well, shocking. Kids who couldn't write complete sentences. Kids who not only hadn't read the classics, they'd never even HEARD of the classics. (One girl said, when Jane Austen was mentioned in conversation, "Oh, I'm not up on the newer actresses.") Kids who had poor time management skills because they were accustomed to learning taking place only from 9-3. Kids who had poor study skills because their senior year was filled with fluff classes.

Certainly, some public schools are better than others, and some kids will learn no matter what the environment is like, because they're self-motivated. I just think that when these "homeschooling is so awful" discussions come up, it's important to remember that in some cases, the flip side - public school - is not a great option, either.

Some years ago, I recall reading an article in one of the local newspapers about the plight of a very smart young kid, trying to succeed at public school in an inner city neighborhood, plagued by drugs and gangs, where most kids dropped out in high school if they even got there. This was the very same public school system that I came out of but the area where he lived was not able to help students that were honestly motivated to learn. Teachers had to spend too much time dealing with problems which took away from teaching plus he was considered the oddball by his peers for trying to actually succeed, the culture of failure was so pervasive.

I don't recall what the solution was, if there was one, but I remember rethinking my attitudes about homeschooling at the time. Namely that there are situations where it is the better option when the local system doesn't work. Plus the idea that going to school helps kids develop social skills with teachers and peers, while that that is true for many, can be downright detrimental to some. This kid was trying to succeed but you could tell that the he was really bucking the trend and he was cracking under the strain.

I think homeschooling requires far more work than what most parents are willing/capable of providing. Setting up curriculum, teaching at different grade levels at the same time, ensuring extracurricular activities etc...all of this requires intensive effort to do WELL. Homeschooling can be great and it can be horrible because it is so strongly based on parental involvement. If all parents had to teach their own children, we'd have a lot more children doing Duggar style schooling because so many parents are lazy or ignorant on how to properly educate children.

I know that people homeschool for many reasons and as long as the parents are preparing their children to be productive members of society, I say more power to them. However, I don't believe homeschooling is superior to public schools. I attended a typical, suburban school, went to a selective university than off to med school. In my college, everyone was capable of writing a coherent sentence, of following instructions, of getting their work done on their own. Most of my friends spent evenings and weekends studying, going to labs, writing papers. We all had fun in college but none of us required remedial work (our school didn't offer remedial work anyway) or wasted our time getting drunk. Work hard, play hard was the motto. Everyone I knew worked hard, what we did in our off time never interfered with our school.

There are good colleges and bad colleges. Any college that has to explain sentence structure or punctuations is not teaching at a college level and its students are not representative of college students elsewhere. Furthermore, as a product of public education, I think I compare favorably against the above average homeschooler. Sure, I may not be winning spelling bees or performing concertos but I could write coherently, do differential equations and understands the basics of Newtonian physics by the time I graduated from high school.

More importantly, I knew how to study for hours every day without supervision, how to learn in a classroom filled with other students, and how to study curriculum which was not tailored to my strengths. I think homeschooling kids can do all of this as well, but the weakness inherent in the homeschooling system is that for some (and not just fundies) there can be a transition period in college where students are no longer learning in a self-directed program or have classes specially tailored to their strengths.

I found out in college, and (ironically enough) in med school, no one gives a crap that you are a better auditory or visual learner. Professors give lectures and rarely deviate from that structured environment. In college, most of my professors had a way to teaching and we had to figure out how to work with them. It was worse in med school. Lectures, labs/clinics from 8-4pm followed by studying until I collapse. No one enjoyed sitting in the classroom for 8 hours and studying for another five. However, part of growing up is realizing the world will not change for you, that you make adjustments to the world.

I don't think there's anything wrong with giving your child one-on-one attention that homeschooling provides, but I also don't think there's anything wrong with letting your kid be one kid in a class of 50 or 300. At some point, everyone will have to follow someone else's drumbeat, even when it's not to their liking.

Community college is for the community. It exists to help all types of people, not just those that are looking for a 4-year degree. So of course they would offer remedial English classes, and those would be a benefit to many people who are part of the community, whether it's people with learning disabilities, adults trying to earn a GED, people who learned English as a second language, or just people who have been out of high school for a very long time and want a refresher.

So no, I won't condemn public schools becuase "zOMG a community college teaches remedial things!" It doesn't exist just as a funnel for your typical public school graduate who just wants a cheaper version of the first two years of college. It exists for all kinds of people. Yes, community colleges offer remedial courses in many subjects. They also offer fairly advanced classes in many subjects.

I did dual enrollment for my senior year of high school. I was smart enough to choose the right courses to get the most out of it. I easily learned more in that one year of community college than I did in three years of high school. I took the standard English Composition courses, two semesters of Chemistry, two semesters of Calculus, and one semester each of French and Spanish at the 200 level. So if you're gonna judge public schools by what dual enrollment students learn at community college, then base your judgment on me instead.

As for homeschooling in general, I don't think anyone here is claiming that it's always bad or that public school is some kind of panacea for all students. But there are other aspects of public school besides just the academics, and I think homeschoolers have to make an effort to get socialization and structure into their kids' lives, which many of them achieve just fine.

Community college is for the community. It exists to help all types of people, not just those that are looking for a 4-year degree. So of course they would offer remedial English classes, and those would be a benefit to many people who are part of the community, whether it's people with learning disabilities, adults trying to earn a GED, people who learned English as a second language, or just people who have been out of high school for a very long time and want a refresher.

So no, I won't condemn public schools becuase "zOMG a community college teaches remedial things!" It doesn't exist just as a funnel for your typical public school graduate who just wants a cheaper version of the first two years of college. It exists for all kinds of people. Yes, community colleges offer remedial courses in many subjects. They also offer fairly advanced classes in many subjects.

I agree with you. It's unfair to point to community college as prime example of publicly educated students. Your average public school student is just as likely to be attending a four year university having completed plenty of advanced coursework.

I've seen similar attitudes by homeschoolers whose first exposure to public education is community college. They don't realize that community colleges take in people from all walks of life, the good and the bad, including those that are not academically prepared to attend a four year university. People really think the kids at MIT or Stanford require remedial work or can't string a sentence? And yet, most of those students are public school educated, not homeschooled.

The fact is, for most people, the local public school was "good enough"---sometimes even great. Homeschooling is a choice for a small group of people. For most others, they will go to a public school and then transition into college. They are academically prepared for the coursework, they are socially able to make friends, they are self-motivated enough to direct a coursework that fits their career choice. Yes, they did not have the one-on-one attention that homeschoolers may have, nor a curriculum specifically tailored to their strengths. However, as I stated before, that doesn't necessarily make their education inferior. There are also lessons learned from having to study in a group, or having to fit your learning to a different teaching style. In the end, highly motivated individuals will always find a way to learn. The key is to teach kids to adapt to changing circumstances and not to coddle them when they struggle, be it homeschool or public school.

1. Since generally community colleges accept all applicants introductory classes are often taught to the lowest common denominator. It would be hard for some one who didn't know basic grammar to be accepted into a decent 4 year school.

2. See above. Also community colleges are dealing with more people who are not coming directly from high school. Some student may be 20 years from 6th grade and need the refresher. If you were so far beyond the other students in the class you could have fulfilled the requirement by AP or CLEP.

3. Lazy people are lazy regardless of their education. They will always find ways to be lazy.

4. See above.

5. Your making an assumption that the teacher gave you a bad grade because they didn't like your topic. Did you ask why you were graded the way you were ? I didn't take speech but we always got a breakdown from my teachers when we did a presentation of how we scored on each requirement.

Public schools have issue but I wouldn't judge everyone by your experience in community college.

My private college had a lot of basic reminders in regards to spelling and grammatical errors if professors noticed them popping up in writing.

My grad program also went over thesis statement and structuring a literature review/research paper in APA format. I'm sure not everyone needed the refresher, but it was nice to go over, especially as the professor was very strict when it claim to writing professionally.

I think for those situations, as long as it's not dominating the entire semester, it's worth it to have the refresher. I'd hate to spend the money on getting a degree without realizing that my comma placement or semicolon use was horrendous after graduation. Do you learn basic stuff like this in middle school? Yeah, but sometimes you can get lost in the content on your paper and lose the basics if you're not proofreading well.

I've seen similar attitudes by homeschoolers whose first exposure to public education is community college. They don't realize that community colleges take in people from all walks of life, the good and the bad, including those that are not academically prepared to attend a four year university. People really think the kids at MIT or Stanford require remedial work or can't string a sentence? And yet, most of those students are public school educated, not homeschooled.

Oh GOODNESS yes. There are countless blog posts like this - religious and proudly conservative homeschooled kid (sometimes from the SOTDRT, but more often homeschooled competently, if perhaps lacking in math and science) living in the middle of Outer Ruralia and forbidden to move out of the house goes to community college and starts laughing about how stupid all the other students are and how easy the classes are and what is the point of all this and ha, what's the big deal about college? I'm smarter than all these yokels! I read Jane Austen! Surely no secular people or public school kids ever READ these days!! :roll:

They have no idea that community college is not the same thing as a competitive research university (never mind the fact that there are people out there who NEED remedial English for whatever reason and the correct thing to do is TEACH THEM, which is what the remedial classes are doing, rather than laugh and condemn them for the ignorance).

Some of those people get so busy laughing and feeling smug about themselves that they don't notice when all those other students who are being sincere end up passing them by. Of course they never think about all the public-school kids who make it into the top competitive places, either - those particular smug bloggers seem to think that all public schools are equal to not just the worst actual schools, but the talk radio stereotypes of those worst actual schools, because they've never set foot in any.

I feel bad for her because she has no one to really compare notes with.

Several posters, myself included, find it difficult to sit still for an hour lecture. I remember that night classes, which were usually 3hrs+ long, were especially brutal, both for the student AND the teacher. It would always take me a couple weeks for my rear to adjust to sitting on hard unpadded chairs for hours at a time.

I've found that any sort of 'leveling up' requires an adjustment period. I've done private school, public school, community college and a regular 4 year school. Each school required a different level of intensity. My private school, for example, was much more intense than the regular public school courses, but a lot less intense than those honors/AP courses in the public school. Community college and a 4yr institution are very different as well. I knew several students who found the transition from community to 4 yr incredibly difficult. Much more was expected, teachers cared less (at a community college, teachers are more exposed to older students, poor students, students with children, etc), and the pace, overall, was more intense.

Just talking to other people, she may have been able to find this out and not feel so alone and 'not cut out for' college. :(

Oh GOODNESS yes. There are countless blog posts like this - religious and proudly conservative homeschooled kid (sometimes from the SOTDRT, but more often homeschooled competently, if perhaps lacking in math and science) living in the middle of Outer Ruralia and forbidden to move out of the house goes to community college and starts laughing about how stupid all the other students are and how easy the classes are and what is the point of all this and ha, what's the big deal about college? I'm smarter than all these yokels! I read Jane Austen! Surely no secular people or public school kids ever READ these days!! :roll:

They have no idea that community college is not the same thing as a competitive research university (never mind the fact that there are people out there who NEED remedial English for whatever reason and the correct thing to do is TEACH THEM, which is what the remedial classes are doing, rather than laugh and condemn them for the ignorance).

Some of those people get so busy laughing and feeling smug about themselves that they don't notice when all those other students who are being sincere end up passing them by. Of course they never think about all the public-school kids who make it into the top competitive places, either - those particular smug bloggers seem to think that all public schools are equal to not just the worst actual schools, but the talk radio stereotypes of those worst actual schools, because they've never set foot in any.

Except the classes my friends and I were taking when these incidents occurred were not remedial. My college has separate classes for people needing remedial work so that once they get to the general ed classes they should be able to do the work.

I don’t have a problem with a professor explaining a concept to students who don’t get it. However, when she spends 1-2 entire classes extensively exploring the concept and students still can’t grasp the concept that sends a huge red flag to me.

Like I said before the problem is that the system does not want to fail students. Instead of letting the students who could not write a complete sentence (or were too lazy to care) fail, my teacher lowered the # of review questions for everyone. First it was 20 and complete sentences. Then it was 10, and then it was 5 per chapter. Instead of teaching the kids who really wanted to learn, and there were good students in that class, she catered to the bad students and lowered the bar so they would not fail.

I am not attending a community college because I am forbidden to go elsewhere. I have a recent health issue that forced me to take a medical leave from a 4 year university a few weeks into school last year because the meds zapped my energy. That being said the students at my CC that are not up to par or are lazy are from my generation. The adult students seemed very motivated to learn the material. It was the young adult college students who slacked off and I believe that is because of participation trophy mentality. I hope that when I get my AA and transfer to a big name university the situation will be better.

Edited to add

One class was was remedial, I missed the math placement by 2 points; however that was the best teacher I have had at college. she did not put up with crap if you slacked she withdrew you. How is it that the teacher teaching a remedial class is stricter with students then the teachers who are supposed to teach at a college level?

I don't think it's a generational issue as much as it is one of maturity. Older adults, in general, know what they want. I've noticed a lot of the younger students are going to college because it's expected of them, but without an idea of what they want out of it. Also, older adults generally have more commitments, family & financially, than younger students. They are putting a lot more on the line to go to college. So you are seeing the most motivated section of a certain generation, compared to a much more encompassing section of the younger generation.

Guest Anonymous

Except the classes my friends and I were taking when these incidents occurred were not remedial. My college has separate classes for people needing remedial work so that once they get to the general ed classes they should be able to do the work.

I don’t have a problem with a professor explaining a concept to students who don’t get it. However, when she spends 1-2 entire classes extensively exploring the concept and students still can’t grasp the concept that sends a huge red flag to me.

Like I said before the problem is that the system does not want to fail students. Instead of letting the students who could not write a complete sentence (or were too lazy to care) fail, my teacher lowered the # of review questions for everyone. First it was 20 and complete sentences. Then it was 10, and then it was 5 per chapter. Instead of teaching the kids who really wanted to learn, and there were good students in that class, she catered to the bad students and lowered the bar so they would not fail.

I am not attending a community college because I am forbidden to go elsewhere. I have a recent health issue that forced me to take a medical leave from a 4 year university a few weeks into school last year because the meds zapped my energy. That being said the students at my CC that are not up to par or are lazy are from my generation. The adult students seemed very motivated to learn the material. It was the young adult college students who slacked off and I believe that is because of participation trophy mentality. I hope that when I get my AA and transfer to a big name university the situation will be better.

Edited to add

One class was was remedial, I missed the math placement by 2 points; however that was the best teacher I have had at college. she did not put up with crap if you slacked she withdrew you. How is it that the teacher teaching a remedial class is stricter with students then the teachers who are supposed to teach at a college level?

Duchess, it seems clear that most people's experience with community college is nothing like yours. Would it not make more sense, since you have been ill, to stay home and recuperate or to maybe go out and get some light work experience? It seems strange to me that such a cruddy place is a feeding school for that "big name university" of yours. If it is not, why are you bothering?

I go to this school because it is cheaper than going to the university flat out. I took last fall off to adjust to my chronic illness and I have been actively looking for a job since last September with nothing to be found. Plus the career path I want requires a college education. As I said before I am not the only one who has encountered issues like the ones I stated. Many of my friends feel the same way. Are you saying that there is no way that the school system might be messed up? Do some research into the public education system watch documentaries like Waiting for Superman or Class Dismissed. Class Dismissed is about how most homeschoolers are now homeschooling because the public education system is deplorable and broken. If the public education system is broken than we should see evidence of that in colleges which I believe I have seen. If you look up Class Dismissed be sure to put homeschool in the search engine as there is another documentary with that name.

Guest Anonymous

I'm sorry, duchess0592, I did not mean that you should give up higher education entirely. I just assumed that, since you were already attending a 4 year college before your medical leave, you could spend the time off doing a volunteer job or doing something else that you could put on your CV. To me, that would make more sense than attending an institution that you obviously view with contempt. Of course, money is an important factor in many of our decisions but it seems pretty clear that you do not value the education that you are getting at your community college. Don't you feel that this period will become a weak spot in your academic career? Is it really worth sacrificing this part of your education just to save money?

Honestly, though, it would be a huge mistake to assume that what you are seeing is the standard for public education or that your fellow students, who are struggling, are the standard product of public high schools. Kids roll out of American public high schools at eighteen and go to some of the finest universities in the world. They don't usually need to be taught how to write in full sentences for the first time in college.

I am perfectly willing to believe that each incident that you describe happened exactly as you said it did, but, I do not believe that they are representative. There are posts on this thread that directly contradict what you are saying. I think that your dismal view of your country's education system is just another part of a scare story.

Riffles, of course.

Indeed, sogba - what of all the kids who go directly from American public high schools directly into top-flight research universities and even test out of some of the earlier classes? What of the ones who arrive on campus and within a semester get actual jobs in research labs on campus (because we have a lot of research labs, doing cutting edge work, some of which have Nobel prize winners on staff). Or the ones who again their first semester join clubs doing things like making solar cars to drive in national competitions? All those people are public-schooled kids.

It's just that when it comes to fundies, so many of them like to justify their isolation by making it seem as if the other choice (public school) is just miles beneath them and dangerous and filled with know-nothings. A certain subset of secular homeschoolers does this too (where fundies delight that their kids seem anachronistic, those secular homeschoolers delight that their kids are "quirky"). Far closer to the mark, I think, is that both homeschool and public school can be excellent or it can suck.

The potential danger of sucky homeschooling is that if it does really suck, it can be harder for the victims to realize it in time, because it seems the truly sucky homeschoolers tend to be among the most isolationist (either because they're fundie or because they're just outright neglectful). The people who do things competently usually have their kids meeting other kids and so the kids notice if they're really crazy far behind.

So you've decided to judge all community colleges, and by extension public schools in general, based on your one bad school? Did it ever occur to you that maybe you just have one bad teacher or one bad community college and that others aren't the same as yours?

So you've decided to judge all community colleges, and by extension public schools in general, based on your one bad school? Did it ever occur to you that maybe you just have one bad teacher or one bad community college and that others aren't the same as yours?

Exactly.

My 17-year-old, public-schooled-since-kindergarten son is going into his senior year of high school and is looking at colleges. His GPA and his SAT scores make it likely that he will be admitted to nearly any school he might apply to. He has already passed five AP exams (three 5's, one 4 and one 3, on a test that he hadn't had the proper class for). He is not that unusual among his peers, either. But you aren't ever going to encounter students like my son in the remedial classes at community college, so you might want to rethink your generalizations about public education. In my experience and in that of my three children, public K - 12 education has been excellent.

I think it's difficult to gauge the state of public education because there is such disparity in this country. Yes, there are horrible public schools, horrible colleges. However, the United States also have some of the finest schools in the world. It's the reason people from all over the globe come here to study. We churn out students that cannot string a sentence and students who have won research grants before they can drive. Is it any wonder we have such diverging examples?

I don't doubt that all the experiences shared on this thread is real. This means there are areas where public education is not "broken", and areas where it is. I don't need to watch a documentary about our broken system to know that we have horrible schools. But I also don't believe it when people say the entire system was rotten....because I've seen it work for me and for many of my friends.

In the homeschool world, some people have a great education, others have a Duggar education. Ditto for public school students. As a public school student, I could just as easily point to the Duggars and feel smug about my "superior" education. I took biochemistry and calculus and wrote college level papers in high school. The Duggars and Maxwells of the homeschooling world are barely literate and probably never touched a real science textbook.

I think it does everyone a disservice when we look at the lowest common denominator and assume that is representative of all public schoolers. I don't look at the Duggars and think that's representative of all homeschoolers. What society should focus on ferrating out lousy schools---be it homescholers who won't teach or public schools that fail----and removing students from them.

I had a partially state and partially not (an independent school with "a strong Christian ethos") schooling ;) I was never homeschooled in my life. I have a very low IQ (82). I still managed an Honours degree from university and am now considering a Masters, having already been told I will be accepted on the course. Every student is different.

If a lecturer has to explain punctuation or sentence structure in class, perhaps he or she is talking to bright students who haven't come into their academic interests until later in life? Not everyone's a child genius and many things can impede learning, such as difficult family circumstances, ADD, dyslexia...you name it. I would take the opportunity as a refresher, not sit around smugly judging the rest of the class as being inferior to my homeschooled self, were I you.

Think about where you are. We have colleges like this in the UK. All kinds of folk go there (including terrorists, when my non university educated dad went there for a course in history he met a couple of folk now serving time for sending letter bombs). Some of those folk may be highly intelligent but ignorant because they didn't have it together in high school. If you sit there with your arms folded snorting at the simplicity of the lessons, you are unlikely to make friends.

Duchess, you sound incredibly smug.

Who forbids you to go elsewhere? Your parents or doctors? If medication puts you out of commission, then I suspect it would still be a problem in two years. If your medication doesn't work or your illness makes it impossible for you to attend a school far from home (I came close to the same situation), then it would also be a problem in two years. If you've found the right medication regimen, then why are you still forbidden? I can't imagine a doctor would forbid a patient from returning to school if their medication worked. Maybe your parents, then, don't have faith in your ability to cope? After all, you did need remedial math services and it sounds like you elected to drop out of your university rather than taking a medical leave where you could easily return. I suspect you're avoiding the truth.

It sounds to me like you need the education, especially if you needed assistance getting up to college level in mathematics. Maybe you would enjoy your experience more if you accepted that you're another community college student and stopped putting yourself on a pedestal as being so-very-much better than all those other students.

I'm sorry if I came across as smug that was not my intent. What I'm trying to say is that in I believe  my state pubic education is broken. I did not say all 50 states.

However I find it incredibly infuriating when some people, not all make assumptions about homeschoolers. I did not say all public schools are bad but where I live many are. I have public school friends who get great grades and are socially adjusted but the stories I hear about the places where they attend school and my own research has caused me to believe my state's system is not working

As to my illness I stopped the meds that made me sick. There are other reasons I'm attending CC but I can assure you my parents forbidding me to go elsewhere is not one of them.

All I'm trying to say is that homeschooling is a viable education method with a few crazy people that misrepresent us. Public school is not bad but in my state I believe it needs reform. Again I'm Sorry I can get a bit

Carried away when it comes to homeschooling but when you have to defend your education choices constantly and answer the same questions over and over it can be frustrating.

I had a partially state and partially not (an independent school with "a strong Christian ethos") schooling ;) I was never homeschooled in my life. I have a very low IQ (82). I still managed an Honours degree from university and am now considering a Masters, having already been told I will be accepted on the course. Every student is different.

You are aware that IQs aren't static, right? I bet that you no longer have an IQ of 82. And you probably didn't then, they probably just tested you on a bad day.

All I'm trying to say is that homeschooling is a viable education method with a few crazy people that misrepresent us. Public school is not bad but in my state I believe it needs reform. Again I'm Sorry I can get a bit

Carried away when it comes to homeschooling but when you have to defend your education choices constantly and answer the same questions over and over it can be frustrating.

The problem with this is, while homeschooling might have worked for you, it really isn't just "a few crazies giving you a bad name."

You have an entire industry producing the fundy-light stuff. They've so saturated the market that it's really hard to find secular and historically accurate materials, and in many cases the local homeschooling groups are coopted by the religious hoemschoolers.

Not to mention that in the majority of cases, the same people who are pushing homeschooling are working to undermine the quality of public schools. They're undercutting science and history, pimping abstanence only, and driving up the Christian persecution complex. It's not a coincidence.

I object to the "homeschool because public schools are bad" argument, because I think it is elitist. A *very* small portion of the population actually has the ability to homeschool, so this argument deflects from the problems that affect the majority of school children.

Also, might want to check your first paragraph for spelling errors. :whistle:

You are aware that IQs aren't static, right? I bet that you no longer have an IQ of 82. And you probably didn't then, they probably just tested you on a bad day.

You beat me to it. There is NO way JFC has an IQ of 82. If so, I shudder to think how low mine must be! :lol: JFC, have yourself tested again, your score has got to be at least up in the 120's-130s! :)

Archived