jockosmom

My pleasure! The difference between your soda drinking and Teri's is that she wasn't told to give up her Pepsi for health reasons. She decided to give it up because she was enjoying drinking Pepsi instead of enjoying praying. If she was stressed out she'd have a Pepsi instead of praying about her stress. If she cleaned the house she'd have a Pepsi as a treat instead of getting her pats on the back from the Lord. If she had a caffeine headache she'd have a Pepsi to get rid of it instead of asking God to take it away. I mean, the lady can decide she doesn't want to drink Pepsi anymore for whatever reason she wants, but it was such a Maxwell reason.

Guest Anonymous
I really, really hate to ask this, but I've done all the searches I can think of, here and on the Maxwell site, and can't seem to find the story of Teri giving up her one pleasure in life Pepsi. Could someone just slip me a quick hint or something, point me in the right direction? :)

Fanks in advance.

No snark - just a handy tip: if you use google instead of the FJ search function, you'll find everything quite easily as we talk about them over and over. :)

But as a Maxwell Car Crash Addict, I am happy to oblige, and trip down memory lane with you.... :mrgreen:

web.archive.org/web/20100704201132/http://www.titus2.com/corners/7-08-m.htm

edited to correct link-riffle.

Growing up, the few times we ate fast food or went out to dinner and I had soda, I'd always ask for only a little bit of ice, because that way, I'd get more soda. (Plus, I hate the watered-down taste that happens when the ice melts.) To this day, my dad likes to tell the story to people, noting that I always had a mind of my own.

I like the way the coffeehouse by me does fountain drinks (and sangria!!) where people quibble about the amount of ice. They pour the drink to the right amount, then adjust the ice, so no one is getting shorted on the drink OR "cheating" to get extra but also no one is forced to have a watered down drink if they don't want it (I also hate the watered down taste when people put too much ice in an Italian soda, which is the main carbonated drink I'd get).

Thank you for the link. You're right, it's no longer on the website. In fact, there are no Corners entries for all of 2008, which is very odd. :think:

I think they remove some old content on purpose (particularly the corners) but separately from that I notice that the website migration did NOT go well.

You can read old blog posts back to 2006, but the photos in the old posts are all broken. So you'll search for a photo in google and it will bring up a Maxwell blog page, with the photo floating there in google's "preview the image" container they have, but when you click either "show me this image at full size" OR hit the little "x" which should display the web page normally with the picture just there in place (not floating) the picture is not retrievable - only google's cached version still exists.

I wonder if they intend to fix it or they just assume no one reads their old posts? Really they should either put up the images OR just quit putting links to their old posts, if they want to be clean.

My pleasure! The difference between your soda drinking and Teri's is that she wasn't told to give up her Pepsi for health reasons. She decided to give it up because she was enjoying drinking Pepsi instead of enjoying praying. If she was stressed out she'd have a Pepsi instead of praying about her stress. If she cleaned the house she'd have a Pepsi as a treat instead of getting her pats on the back from the Lord. If she had a caffeine headache she'd have a Pepsi to get rid of it instead of asking God to take it away. I mean, the lady can decide she doesn't want to drink Pepsi anymore for whatever reason she wants, but it was such a Maxwell reason.

True, true. :roll:

No snark - just a handy tip: if you use google instead of the FJ search function, you'll find everything quite easily as we talk about them over and over. :)

Thanks for that! FJ search just left me overwhelmed ( a LOT of Pepsi discussion on these boards! :lol: ), and searching Titus2 came up empty!

But as a Maxwell Car Crash Addict, I am happy to oblige, and trip down memory lane with you.... :mrgreen:

They're fast becoming My Favourite Fundies! :lol:

Guest Anonymous

True, true. :roll:

Thanks for that! FJ search just left me overwhelmed ( a LOT of Pepsi discussion on these boards! :lol: ), and searching Titus2 came up empty!

They're fast becoming My Favourite Fundies! :lol:

Sorry I can see other people answered too, but still, I enjoyed the look back anyway.... :P

Once you are on wayback it is worth reading through the Maxwell archives. They are fascinating. I can't wait to buy the book when the first one flees the cult. :o

Guest Anonymous

I think they remove some old content on purpose (particularly the corners) but separately from that I notice that the website migration did NOT go well.

We discussed this before and someone suggested that Steve may have removed a lot of the entries from 2008 as part of the compromise agreement with his former employer that enabled the Lord to 'bring him home'. ;)

Sorry I can see other people answered too, but still, I enjoyed the look back anyway.... :P

Once you are on wayback it is worth reading through the Maxwell archives. They are fascinating. I can't wait to buy the book when the first one flees the cult. :o

That's okay, I appreciate it anyway. :D And as long as I've been lurking round the Internetz, I'd never heard of wayback before joining FJ. I've got some serious catching up to do!

That's okay, I appreciate it anyway. :D And as long as I've been lurking round the Internetz, I'd never heard of wayback before joining FJ. I've got some serious catching up to do!

"My name is gardenvarietycitizen, and I am a Maxwell Addict." Cannot deny!!

Welcome, welcome...

Man. I was 'addicted' to Coca Cola at one point, too. At my worst I was drinking like five cans a day. Even after I cut way back, I was having at least one coke a day. I basically had to go cold turkey because whenever I slip up and have a coke, that's it, I'm craving another one for days after. Giving up pop was hard enough and I only did it for health reasons. I can't imagine what it would've been like if I was racked by guilt for making God angry by drinking it. :?

Guest Anonymous

The Maxwells hold a special place in the FJ-section of my heart because the Christopher-Anna DeathFest wedding was the first significant event that occurred around the time I joined the yuku site. It was the best fundie-crazy I had ever seen. :D

My name is Lillybee and I ,too, am a Maxwell addict.

My name is Lillybee and I ,too, am a Maxwell addict.

My name is NCB and I am a serious Maxwell addict.

The Maxwells hold a special place in the FJ-section of my heart because the Christopher-Anna DeathFest wedding was the first significant event that occurred around the time I joined the yuku site. It was the best fundie-crazy I had ever seen. :D

Here too!! I remember raking the leaves outside and rushing in every few minutes to see how the Wedding O' Death was coming along. It just completely, completely boggled my mind that anyone would talk about DEATH at a WEDDING. It is just so absolutely opposite to all the rules of weddings in my circles, where you don't talk about anything inauspicious on that day and nothing is more bad luck than DEATH!!! Just lolwut to the extreme.

I'd seen still pictures of them (started reading about Uriah's remodel) but the video just completely sealed it. Best part was the live snarking going on here (well, on yuku).

My husband was out there raking leaves with me and I remember him laughing at me, what, you are watching some random stranger's wedding on the Internet? Are you nuts? but I mentioned the death and he was similarly wondering just who DOES that?

Growing up, the few times we ate fast food or went out to dinner and I had soda, I'd always ask for only a little bit of ice, because that way, I'd get more soda. (Plus, I hate the watered-down taste that happens when the ice melts.) To this day, my dad likes to tell the story to people, noting that I always had a mind of my own.

It's an effing pepsi. It's not exactly good for your health, but you can't kill someone because you drank a 40oz Big Gulp. This may be one of the saddest things (aside from all of the beating of children) I've ever seen here. Wow. I hope that she wakes up one day, goes to the store, comes home with a 2 liter, sits on the couch with a straw and tells her asshat of a husband, "I'll drink all the god damned pepsi I want. And unless you want to wear it, you need to back the fuck off." I can dream.

Your avatar looks like my country's flag, every time I see it it confuses me until I remember it's the Pepsi logo :lol:

OMG... Considering the caption, that would be sort of awful. It really is the pepsi logo. I showed this to a good friend, whose flag also looks like this, and she said "What the fuck is wrong with you?" I blame Steve Maxwell. She had no clue what I was stalking about and probably now thinks I've some sort of strange thing going on about her homeland.

Steve makes me stabby.

I want to take Teri out to lunch and get her a 44 oz pepsi that comes with free refills.

I want to take her to the movies, where they have those giant-ass sodas with free refills but you have to suck it all down in the less than two hours you are there. And then I want to call Steve and make him come pick her up.

I remember one day when I was pregnant talking to Steve on the phone while he was at work. It was the middle of the afternoon, and I was tired. I told him a Pepsi would be a nice pick-me-up for some extra energy. He said, "Sure. Go ahead." That one little statement from Steve was all I needed to push my way into having a Pepsi every afternoon—for that caffeine boost.

So back in the day, when she was a Pepsiholic, had to ask Steve permission to have a Pepsi???

So back in the day, when she was a Pepsiholic, had to ask Steve permission to have a Pepsi???

It sure reads that way, doesn't it? :?

I stopped at 7-11 on my way home from a doctor's appointment this afternoon and got a ginormous Coke Slurpee, my first in almost a week. It tasted SO good. But now I'm a little miserable after drinking the whole thing. A lot of spiritual warfare going on in my stomach. Probably because I didn't ask my headship's permission first. :doh:

Yes it is my flag too, are you Dutch??

Born and raised.

OMG... Considering the caption, that would be sort of awful. It really is the pepsi logo. I showed this to a good friend, whose flag also looks like this, and she said "What the fuck is wrong with you?" I blame Steve Maxwell. She had no clue what I was stalking about and probably now thinks I've some sort of strange thing going on about her homeland.

I have no problems with it at all, it just makes me do a double take lol. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I just found this picture, from the time when Joan Crawford was always pushing Pepsi, and couldn't resist a bit of captioning.

HANz5.jpg

I guess in a way that made Steve her pusher!

I guess in a way that made Steve her pusher!

Just like Tina Fey in Mean Girls! Put it in the book...

Someday I'll learn how to imbed links here.

I was a serious Coke-a-holic. I HAD to stop, for health reasons (I have a heart problem, and caffiene is NOT good for it).

If anyone told me that I HAD to stop for any other reason, my response would've been a simple "F YOU!"

Bless our software, i can't come up with the post where somebody imagines Teri mouthing off at Steve, but I know his response:

:evil: Insubordination, soldier! Drop and give me 20!!!! :evil:

I have not actually heard the following said, but I can imagine that there are those who would say the military analogy - father as commander-in-chief, 5-star-general; mother as sergeant and kids as privates (until the boys reach puberty, of course) - is a good thing because it forms the basis for "the church militant."

Born in 1949 in USA as a Lutheran Christian, I never have had to endure physical persecution, but I can understand that it's well to have an alert, proactive religious body to look out for its members' wellbeing.

The thing is, at what point does such an entity become imperialistic or terroristic?

The other thing is, if the family is led by a C-in-C who's there simply and exclusively because of his gonads, how functional is the family unit going to be? What's the point of dysfunctional families, with children bailing the faith tradition as soon as they can?

If STeve really wants to draw parallels between a corporate body and the family, he'd be much better off doing as a long-lost friend, a Mormon, did: The husband was her CEO, and she was the vice-president. The kids were the departments.

I don't like that much more than the military version, but at least in theory, the VP and the departments hold stock in the company and have some say in how the CEO's policies work out. They have options to question.

The best model, absolutely, is partnership between the parents.

Archived