IGNORED

Man faces 60 days in jail For hosting Bible study in

doggie

He violated city codes was warned enough and of course he is a persecuted christian. Anymore Christians persecute themselves they do things that hurt others then expect everyone to Kowtow to their ultimate wisdom.

The comments say it all and we all know the truth if if was a Muslim church Christians would be out protesting in front of his place calling the city to have them arrested calling in death threats and doing violence.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rules.html

I think that probably more than 15 people go to the Bible study and he lies about that. The seating thing and cross on the lawn are a bit telling. A similar incident like that happened in San Diego or a suburb of San Diego.

I like how 1 commenter said that God will punish the Phoenix police. Wouldn't He have punished them already for putting that guy in jail if that were the case? What? You mean they're more important situations than this, like starving people in the world and womens' rights? * le gasp! * * :o *

I worked at a restaurant back in 2005 and 2006 ,that allowed a church group to hold Bible study in the banquet room on Friday mornings. The church group paid monthly rent for using the banquet room. I've heard of other churches who use rent certain spaces to hold Bible study if they don't have rooms in their churches. My boyfriend belongs to a chess meetup group that mostly meets at restaurants or parks in order to avoid causing issues with members' private residences.

I think it's incredibly misleading that this man keeps claiming that his church "informal Bible Study" is in his home. It's not. He is holding three-times-weekly services in a building in his backyard that seats up to 40 people. That is clearly a violation of any rational building and fire codes.

I've never heard of someone going to jail for violating building codes, though. Maybe it's because he continually refuses to bring his church up to code?

Edited for HTML fail.

He admits that they worship in the 2,000 sq ft building in the back every weekend. That sounds very much like having a church without getting all the proper permits. In the city where I live it takes one to three years to get all the proper variances and approvals to build/operate a new church.

It isn't OK a lot of places to have a football gathering in the same house every weekend. My neighbors found that out after some of us complained because it was every single weekend. It turns out the county told them once a month was their limit.

This reminds me of cases I read in "God vs. The Gavel" by Marci A. Hamilton. Having that many people going through the neighborhood multiple times a week in an area that isn't zoned for it can really screw things up. There was one church group mentioned in the book that met in a regular neighborhood home and decided to set up a ministry for the homeless there. The neighbors ended up reporting them when one person being helped knocked on someone's house in the middle of the night asking for money, and another neighbor witnessed a drug deal on his front lawn.

What's interesting to me is that this guy obviously doesn't live in a subdivision with a homeowner association (HOA). Most homes in the Phoenix area are under an HOA, and this is the sort of thing that would have to be approved by an association board. This can get a bit touchy (there was a murder at an HOA meeting about a decade ago).

That said, if this jackhole was in my neighborhood, I'd be in his face. I didn't buy a house to have some guy build a church without any permitting in his backyard. It's not just the church. It's the fact that the church brings extra traffic, noise, etc. This is not what I bought...one of the things that I bought was "peaceful enjoyment."

There is a reason we have zoning laws...so homeowners can have a nice, RESIDENTIAL neighborhood not cluttered up with house churches and whatnot. There are enough vacant strip centers in the Phoenix area, he could rent a small space like the Pissing Preacher. But no, he's been doing this sh*t for four years now and thinks he's some sort of f*cking martyr. Lemme rent you a clue, Michael: YOU'RE NOT. You are an asshole who is ruining the quality of life for your neighbors. And you don't give a shit.

This reminds me of cases I read in "God vs. The Gavel" by Marci A. Hamilton. Having that many people going through the neighborhood multiple times a week in an area that isn't zoned for it can really screw things up. There was one church group mentioned in the book that met in a regular neighborhood home and decided to set up a ministry for the homeless there. The neighbors ended up reporting them when one person being helped knocked on someone's house in the middle of the night asking for money, and another neighbor witnessed a drug deal on his front lawn.

I think this is a big part of it. A lot of people assume zoning laws exist just so yuppies can have quiet weekends or so local governments can tax more, but often there are legitimate reasons for it. If a place is not zoned for a church, having that many people come through that frequently will increase traffic, which can damage roads faster, mess up traffic flow at lights, and even be more dangerous. Many churches around here have warning signs, because if there will be a bunch of people milling around outside at the same time, it's better for drivers to know to avoid hitting pedestrians. Having a big group of people anywhere can have unintended results and that's why zoning matters.

Archived