IGNORED

Local Mission Trip Rant

gustava

Joined friends last night at local eatery to have dinner and listen to musicians we all know. Saw big, fancy, new, shiny bus from First Baptist Church of Monroe, Georgia. In elevator with members of this group. Asked them what they were doing here in back of beyond/nowheresville. Response was they're on mission trip to nowhere town. What were they doing, I asked. After some fumbling, one responded that they would be working on a church. Which church, I asked. Uh........ Mr. Royce's daughter's church.

Nowheresville is in the Appalachian coal fields. This area is not wealthy. But dammit, if you're coming here to do good deeds, couldn't you at the very least know the name of the church you're going to work on????

Better yet, couldn't you just send the money to the church that you're spending on this mission trip? It's 300 miles from Monroe, GA, to nowheresville. Plus rooms at the local hotel. And food. Give the money to the church and let the local church either do the work or hire local people to do the work.

At the very least, know the name of the church you are coming to save.

Because of course you know who "Mr. Royce's daughter" is. A former aquaintence from high school is now a youth pastor in Alabama. He posted about their youth group's "mission trip" -- they went to Canada to wash people's cars for free. :?

Were these adults or kids? I can completely see my 13 year old having no stinking clue where she's going. Even if she's been told and has handouts with the itinerary. And has the list on her phone. But she can tell you the name of every member of One Direction and where they are from and what the rumors are about their girlfriends.

Sorry-it's been a long day of teen drama. On a more serious note, I wonder about this myself in terms of what are the reasons for focusing so much on problems outside of our own communities. Goodness knows we have enough problems here.

Were these adults or kids? I can completely see my 13 year old having no stinking clue where she's going. Even if she's been told and has handouts with the itinerary. And has the list on her phone. But she can tell you the name of every member of One Direction and where they are from and what the rumors are about their girlfriends.

Sorry-it's been a long day of teen drama. On a more serious note, I wonder about this myself in terms of what are the reasons for focusing so much on problems outside of our own communities. Goodness knows we have enough problems here.

Both. The adults didn't know.

Archived