IGNORED

Profanity is rude and disrespectful

dairyfreelife

The EXACT SAME THING happened to me when my daughter was little! I dropped something and muttered, "Jesus"--and she intoned, "Chwist." :lol:

When my three year old dropped something and - without missing a beat - said "dammit" as she picked it up, I realized I swear too much around my children .. oops .. although she does occasionally ask me "mommy, are you a bitch" .. I'm not really sure where she got that bc I don't use that word around her. I say "dammit" and every version of "fuck" more than anything else .. surprisingly, neither of them have picked up on "fuck" .. OH, they did have a "bullshit" phase .. that was entertaining ...

My already quite impressive swearing skills were taken to the next level when I studied in Stirling. "Ye fuckin' fanny!" and "bollocks" being among my favorites.

My dad taught me to flip people off at the age of five, so I wouldn't do it inadvertently. Of course, you teach a five year old something and then tell them not to do it because it's naughty, that five year old then spends the next six weeks flipping her nursery school teachers off behind their backs. Teehee.

LOL!!

And of course the infamous "Ye fannybaws"

When my three year old dropped something and - without missing a beat - said "dammit" as she picked it up, I realized I swear too much around my children .. oops .. although she does occasionally ask me "mommy, are you a bitch" .. I'm not really sure where she got that bc I don't use that word around her. I say "dammit" and every version of "fuck" more than anything else .. surprisingly, neither of them have picked up on "fuck" .. OH, they did have a "bullshit" phase .. that was entertaining ...

My father stopped cursing the day my (then 3) sister visited him at his job (cab dispatch) and, upon hearing another man cursing into the phone went "Is that my daddy?"

And it worked very well, neither of us cursed in any language other than Walloon until we were nearly grown!

Now, what we say in Walloon - really, a combination of Flemish and French, because who speaks Walloon nowadays? - translates as "God damn you in the name of God!" but so long as nobody knows, it's all right? (There are more Belgian Americans running around than you think, and my mother once had the task of explaining to another Belgian American what it means, since ALL the mothers and grandmothers say it, and this other woman knew it meant "Run. NOW." but beyond that had no clue.) But you say it really fast and slurred, because you're cursing and anyway, nobody knows what you're saying so why bother with elocution?

Years ago, when we were young and my grandmother was visiting, and she heard my mother say (rough transliteration here) "Nondegur!" at us, she tsked loudly and said "You know, I wish you wouldn't say that. It sounds so basse classe. If you MUST say it, you should at least say "Nom de dieu". And my mother felt really shamed for about the whole day until she thought this one through and realized - "hey, waitaminute! I grew up in New York! Where the heck does she think I learned this from?"

Some people, hearing their children cursing, blame themselves. Others, apparently, just sorta blame the ether.

My best friend swears like a fucking sailor and it amuses me to no end because she's just the sweetest looking thing ever. My grandmother's favorite word is shit, and she taught us a lovely Irish swear a few months ago: "Go shit in your hat and squeeze it." When she puts on her Irish accent it just about makes me die laughing. My whole family swears, it's not big deal. My sister's and my favorite is fuck, it's so fucking versatile! There's a really cute family story about my sister's first swear. She was playing on the couch and dropped something, looked at my mom and goes, "Shit!" in her cute little 2-year-old voice. I love it.

Also, side note, I hate when people say those who swear are just unimaginative. I've heard some pretty fucking creative swears in my life. There are endless combinations.

In conclusion, that blog of fuckery is apparently run by an asshat of dick-sized proportions.

I like "Holy fuckballs!" In fact, I used it a few minutes ago when I opened the front door and the stench from all the dead fish at the lake a mile away hit me in the nose.

I cuss more than I probably should but sometimes fuck or shit are the only words that'll do. Especially if you step on a Lego barefoot. Any cuss word is fair game.

I cuss more than I probably should but sometimes fuck or shit are the only words that'll do. Especially if you step on a Lego barefoot. Any cuss word is fair game.

Or a toddler puzzle piece, where they have what amounts to the top of a thumb tack in the middle to make grabbing the pieces easier.

My grandmother's favorite word is shit, and she taught us a lovely Irish swear a few months ago: "Go shit in your hat and squeeze it."

Mrs. O'Leary made an appointment for a doctor visit and the receptionist asked her to bring a specimen.

She was embarrassed to admit to the receptionist that she didn't know what a specimen was so she hung up the phone, went next door, and asked her neighbor, Mrs. McGillicuddy.

When Mrs. O'Leary returned home, her lip was bleeding, her blouse was torn and she was a mess. Horrified, Mr. O'Leary asked what happened.

"Well," she said, "I asked Mrs. McGillicuddy what a specimen was. She said 'piss in a bottle, Mrs. O'Leary', I said 'shit in your hat, Mrs. McGillicuddy,' and the fight was on!"

I am so glad God has not erased that old joke from my head. For decades, the punch line has been a running gag (and a way to say "this isn't worth getting angry over") in my family, and I can still picture my late father hysterical with laughter over it.

• Haha 1

I will admit that every single time I've seen this thread today, I've said "fuck that noise" in my head.

And I see the line "Profanity is rude and disrespectful" and instantly think, "The fuck it is."

I saw a play with a couple of friends today. One friend commented that her husband would have enjoyed it, except for the profanity. She said this several times. It took all my strength not to say, "Well, then I guess it's a good thing the motherfucker* isn't here."

*I actually like her husband, and he's never struck me as stick-up-his-ass type of guy.

Mrs. O'Leary made an appointment for a doctor visit and the receptionist asked her to bring a specimen.

She was embarrassed to admit to the receptionist that she didn't know what a specimen was so she hung up the phone, went next door, and asked her neighbor, Mrs. McGillicuddy.

When Mrs. O'Leary returned home, her lip was bleeding, her blouse was torn and she was a mess. Horrified, Mr. O'Leary asked what happened.

"Well," she said, "I asked Mrs. McGillicuddy what a specimen was. She said 'piss in a bottle, Mrs. O'Leary', I said 'shit in your hat, Mrs. McGillicuddy,' and the fight was on!"

I am so glad God has not erased that old joke from my head. For decades, the punch line has been a running gag (and a way to say "this isn't worth getting angry over") in my family, and I can still picture my late father hysterical with laughter over it.

:laughing-rolling: Thank you for that!

Sincerest apologies if this has already been posted, but:

20qfm0x.jpg

*hyperventilating here* THANK YOU for the cardio workout! I know this one will be stuck in my head for WEEKS!

Or the dressmakers pin which was stuck, unseen, point up in my carpet last night...

I'm Scottish, of course I swear a fucking shitload ;)

Not at work, apart from saying "bollocks" or "shit" or "fuck this for a game of cards" which I reckon don't count.

I used to work in an office where the boss was a very conservative (and posh) Christian. Real corporate type too. And there was one woman there who didn't always remember to adjust her swearing to take into account his preferences.

So we were in a full team meeting and it went like this:

Boss: Susie, remind me again where we're holding the end year reports on the system?

Susie: Ah've no' got a fuckin clue.

Boss *visibly taken aback and in cut glass accent*: Then, I suggest you, ahem, get a...fucking clue. And if this...fucking clue could be got by next Tuesday, it would be greatly appreciated.

It was so funny. I honestly think that was the first time he'd ever said fuck in his life.

I always feel that 'bollocks' is a fine example of profanity. We have, 'fuck this for a game of soldiers' too.

No response to our fun survey answers. DAMN!

And no way to see the results of the survey, either. Darn -- er, excuse me, forgot the theme of the thread -- shit!