IGNORED

No, it's not quite a repeat! 19 Kids...this week

IReallyAmHopewell

In defense of all of those who take some time to recover from wisdom teeth extraction...all wisdom teeth extractions are NOT the same. DH's were all fully exposed. He was sore for a couple of days, stuck to soft food for about 3 days, but not bad. Mine, on the other hand, were all impacted and covered by bone. My face was so swollen I couldn't wear glasses (forget about putting contacts in) for a week. My eye sockets were black and blue, as was my jaw. I had to sleep sitting up because the swelling was so bad. And, finally, it was 15 days before my teeth touched together (top to bottom) even a little bit. The manager at the restaurant I was working at wanted to fire me because he thought I was being lazy (not that I got paid for sick days); finally my dad took a photo of me (in the old days, with film and developing) over to him and that finally shut him up.

Not to scare anyone, the surgeon said mine were about the worst he'd ever seen. But it can and does happen. Damn if the only small thing on me isn't my mouth (and the only thin thing my hair).

Yep, everyone's body responds differently. None of my three had broken through and one was sideways, but my swelling wasn't bad at all (okay, baby chipmunk). That being said, I was *tired* for days, though not in pain. I know a girl who got hers out at age 18, and later that *day* went out with her friends! I couldn't have done that at all. I also wonder if technique has improved over the years; my surgery was in the last five years or so, and most of the people I know who had major swelling and bruising had it 10+ years ago.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Confession: I took a full week off from my summer jobs when I had my wisdom teeth out (like Smuggar, I had one impacted). But, I was smart and despite being terrified of having surgery (first time) got it taken care of when my dentist recommended it rather than waiting until years later when I had real responsibilities. I'm pretty bad with pain so my parents took a conservative approach and had me taking the vicodin every 4 hours for a few days, but hey when you're on summer break you can get away with that!

Someone mentioned the guys possibly having had the tea to get out of being filmed - that would be clever. Really dickish to the dentist and the parents and Anna who'd prepared for caring for them after, but clever.

You'll be fine! I got three of my four out at once when I was 23 or 24 - the fourth one is still in there because it's on the top and UPSIDE DOWN, and too close to my sinus cavities so they didn't want to mess with it. It shouldn't move or do anything anyway. Anyway, I was absolutely terrified leading up to my surgery, but it was seriously one of the easiest procedures I've ever had done (and I'm a pretty big baby). Here's a list of tips I received, and ones I learned on my own:

*For the first 24-48 hours, you'll probably be so doped up you won't want to eat/care about eating. But you don't want to starve. So take my advice and get something like this: http://www.boost.com/nutritional-drinks/boost-plus These were a life-saver. Go for the chocolate.

*But seriously? In terms of medical procedures, it had very little pain and side effects (just a few days of sleeping) and the benefits are large, especially if you've had pain or headaches from the teeth coming in. You'll do great!

Man I was starving when they brought me back... I had to wait a couple hours before they brought apple sauce O_O I was like whaaaat, I'm starving!!! Also the dripping thing was not working and yet my bladder got totally full several times (way too efficient kidneys) so I was feeling dehydrated. I was also hyper-active and absolutely wanted to go and take a walk and go home, and they forced us to just stay in bed for a couple of hours. I also completely forgot what I did the saturday before. Impossible for me to remember and my mom had to repeat it over and over. lol

I just want to say that there are risks in the surgery but it's not like you're taking your wisdom teeth out on a whim. Just be aware if you have a tingling or loss of feeling in your tongue and look out for infection. I hope that you'll get stitches... I to pierce the skin every night for 2 weeks, that's just not comfortable.

I had a gigantic blood clot - I mean as long as all my premolars and molars. I took it out at night. Yeah you should not but I did not want to choke on it either. My doctor was an ass, screaming at me right after I woke up, "don't spiiiiiit" when the nurse looked at me and asked but you're not, rolling her eyes.

Man I was starving when they brought me back... I had to wait a couple hours before they brought apple sauce O_O I was like whaaaat, I'm starving!!! Also the dripping thing was not working and yet my bladder got totally full several times (way too efficient kidneys) so I was feeling dehydrated. I was also hyper-active and absolutely wanted to go and take a walk and go home, and they forced us to just stay in bed for a couple of hours. I also completely forgot what I did the saturday before. Impossible for me to remember and my mom had to repeat it over and over. lol

I just want to say that there are risks in the surgery but it's not like you're taking your wisdom teeth out on a whim. Just be aware if you have a tingling or loss of feeling in your tongue and look out for infection. I hope that you'll get stitches... I to pierce the skin every night for 2 weeks, that's just not comfortable.

I had a gigantic blood clot - I mean as long as all my premolars and molars. I took it out at night. Yeah you should not but I did not want to choke on it either. My doctor was an ass, screaming at me right after I woke up, "don't spiiiiiit" when the nurse looked at me and asked but you're not, rolling her eyes.

Well, that's part of the problem in my case. All my neuroses aside, I have great difficulty gaining and maintaining weight. Most of the time I have a BMI of <15. Even if I DO manage to gain weight, something as simple as a change in exercise level can make me drop 10 hard-earned pounds. I've been pushing those shakes so I can gain a little extra weight. It's sorta working, but I still won't be in good shape if I can't (or won't) eat for a few days. :?

Guest Anonymous

When I got mine out I was actually there to have my bottom 12 year molars repositioned...they were growing straight forward into my other teeth rather than up, and they went a head and cut slits near the roof of my mouth to get out the buds of my top wisdom teeth (no bottom ones). It took me a while to recover and the swelling in my face didn't totally go down for 2 weeks at least. That was all probably more from the repositioning though than the removal of the buds.

I had general anesthesia and the nurses forced me to wake up before I was ready so I threw up a lot. I didn't really wake up until we got home and it is a 2 hour drive.

I couldn't help but laugh at Jim Bob's attempts to convince the doctor to just do the procedure despite the risks. Didn't the doctor realized this the Duggar family? They aren't your typical family, the rules of physics don't apply to their digestive tracts. ;)

Because he didn't follow the pre-op instructions, Joseph had his surgery while a ton of people were visiting his family's house. Why didn't he go home with Josh? The baby wasn't at Josh's house so it would've been much quieter than Jim Bob and Michelle's with their dozens of visitors.

Jana looks like she has lost weight you can definitely see it in her face. I love how Jessa was so dressed up for the dentist, but jinger was rocking out a hoodie. When I had my wisdom teeth out I wore my pajamas.

Haha! I rocked my PJ's when I had my wisdom teeth out too. Of course, my appointment was around 8 am, so I just rolled out of bed and went over there.

Re: Josh. How do you not know that you don't eat anything when you're going to be under anesthesia?? Stupid.

Gasp! The Duggars went to a real grocery store to buy apples!! They bought BRAND NAME stuff!!! What's going on her, Michelle?? Money waster!!! Cub Foods! What next?

It astonishes me that they don't just order everything wholesale including produce. It would be so much easier.

I thought they couldn't afford to keep the Hummer, but it's now decked out with company signs??

We don't have Cub Foods. It was either Harps (regional) or Wal-Mart. There is a Harps really close to their house.

Archived